this is what keeps me up at night (1 Viewer)

zeetes

carouser
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
i could make a new thread like this every night, and i would, but i am too lazy.

to start, who came up with ring around the rosie?

well, change that thought, the more pressing question is why? in fact, i have tried to research. the definitions vary, including the sources. i mean, seriously? it is a children's rhyme. probably some kind of sick scare tactic for youngsters, but still, i wanna know the meaning!

Those childish verses would be a blessing compared to

"She might get out a nightstick
And hurt me real real bad
By the roadside in a ditch "

these are the words i've found myself pondering as i lay awake at night.

Stuck a feather in his hat and called it macaroni

What the fork?!
I had looked this one up before. It was a type of wig.

These individuals’ often over the top attempts at trying to appear refined upon their return- speaking a mix of Latin and English and wearing foppish attire complete with massive “Macaroni” wigs and not one, but two pocket watches- were occasionally mocked for this. One of the nicknames they were given at this time was “macaronis.” The individuals were also considered to be part of the informal “Macaroni Club” and would refer to flamboyant fashion and the like as “very macaroni.”

In other words, when the particular lyrics “stuck a feather in his cap and called it macaroni” were added to the Yankee Doodle song, the author was essentially saying that colonists were such low class, moronic fools that they thought by sticking a simple feather in their hat, they were being extremely refined and fashionable.

I had looked this one up before. It was a type of wig.

Thanks for posting

I find stuff like this interesting

there was a show years ago called America's Secret Slang that went over the origins of common sayings

Fascinating stuff, so many meanings just lost to time but the sayings continue on

It's supposedly about the Bubonic Plague that happened in 1665 in England.

The symptoms of Bubonic Plague had a Rosey red rash with a shape of a ring.

Well, this according to the video.

----------------------------------------

To keep sleep aide companies in business.....

What exactly is a star?

Twinkle, twinkle little star
How I wonder what you are

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom