This is Why I Dislike Conf. Championship Games (1 Viewer)

JimEverett

More than 15K posts served!
Reaction score
Auburn already beat South Carolina this year. That's it, Auburn won the conference. And what has South Carolina accomplished if they win in Atlanta? They tie Auburn head-to-head with 2 more conference defeats, yet they are the "champs"?

It's no different than pro. You can even sweep a division opponent but lose to them in the playoffs and you're gone despite a 2-1 record against them. It sucks but oh well.

With the Pac 10 and the Big 10 expanding and adding conference championship games I expect the next renegotiation of the BCS to include a requirement that you have played in and won your conference championship game to be involved in the NCG. Unfortunately I bet Notre Dame gets an exemption... and I expect an "and-one game" to be on the table yet again.

Right now, the championship games in the SEC and Big 12 are a crutch. Just another chance of losing a game (to a good team). Rarely does this game benefit the team(s) that go in to play them.....

I know they've helped LSU in both their national title years. In '03, Oklahoma lost to Kansas St. in the Big 12 championship which helped cement LSU's spot since they beat UGA. And in '07, their defeat of Tennessee added another ranked-team win to their resume and helped LSU jump from 7th to 2nd. It also helped UF jumped Michigan in '06 (they also jumped USC but that's because USC lost to UCLA).

So at least 3 times just this decade it's given an SEC team the chance to hop other teams. And really, I can't remember the last time an SEC team with serious national title chances lost the SECC. The favorite seems to win more often than not.

To clarify, I'm speaking in terms of teams that go in undefeated. For obvious reasons, playing an extra game against a quality opponent is not the best thing in the world. Big Ten teams sit up there in the polls and walk into a nat'l championship game after playing a relatively easy schedule (don't get me started on boise/TCU SOS).....while the SEC and Big 12 put their necks on the line....

SEC teams with baggage (losses) can benefit from the SEC title game. LSU benefited for sure in 2007 due to the win.

I agree it doesn't help undefeated teams, but we don't see undefeated SEC teams heading into the SECC too often anyway. At least when compared to other conferences. So if you take away the SECC, several SEC teams would probably be on the outside of the BCS title game looking in.

It's no different than pro. You can even sweep a division opponent but lose to them in the playoffs and you're gone despite a 2-1 record against them. It sucks but oh well.

You are right. It makes college football more like the NFL.
Not a good thing imo.

And really, I can't remember the last time an SEC team with serious national title chances lost the SECC. The favorite seems to win more often than not.

I can :cussing:

I forgot Bama was undefeated that season. I was thinking UF was the undefeated one. Though they were the favorite.

I forgot Bama was undefeated that season. I was thinking UF was the undefeated one. Though they were the favorite.

I am not sure what year you are talking about, but I am thinking of 2001 when Tennessee was going to the Rose Bowl to play for a national championship

I am not sure what year you are talking about, but I am thinking of 2001 when Tennessee was going to the Rose Bowl to play for a national championship

For some reason I thought you were a Bammer. I was thinking of 2008 when UF beat Bama in the SECC to go to the title game.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom