This is why I don't believe preseason wins/losses and partial performances matter... (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Let's take a look at the 2008 Detroit Lions:

In 2008 they looked really good in preseason, so good that they ended up finishing 4-0 undefeated in the preseason. Well then the regular season comes along and there is hope and excitement in Detroit. That was followed up by the team going on to lose all their games and finishing 0-16.

That Lions team was not as talented across the board as our current Saints team is. Even our o-line is probably better than theirs was.

So with that being said. We really shouldn't panic. There is still time for the o-line to get their **** together and be ready to play better in the regular. I don't care if we go 0-4 in the preseason, it literally has nothing to do with how we will be in the regular season. Heck maybe we do the opposite of the Lions and end up going 16-0... :hihi: One can wish right! So far at 0-0 that is still a possibility. One game at a time, bring on Oakland! Who Dat!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-08-28 at 12.34.02 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-08-28 at 12.34.02 PM.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 43
It's just discouraging when we have a full lineup of starters out getting shredded by people like Garropolo, Osweiler, and Landry Jones. Even with vanilla play calling, other defenses stood up well to our offense. Why couldn't ours do the same? It's not panic time of course but still not very encouraging.

On the other hand, since 2009, the Cardinals, Bears, Colts and Falcons have all had 0-4 preseasons along the line and made the playoffs. So even if we lose all 4 preseason games (which has yet to be determined) there is hope. We have gotten a little ahead of ourselves with the panic, and gloomy forecasts.

I think what will matter most is how we start the season. It is tried and true. Fact is, in 2006 we only won one game and went on to a 11-5 season. The key was the 5-1 start with 3 victories to start the season. If the Saints can come out strong against the Raiders, I think it would benefit them. We, for better or worse, can be a streaky team. The better we start the better we play.

The preseason isn't about wins and losses it's about progress. What progress has the offensive line made from last season,?They won't won't miraculously learn how to block all of a sudden during the regular season.

A better question would be how many teams that have been winless in the pre-season have played in the Super Bowl. The answer is zero since football began in the 40's. I think during that time span about a dozen have made the playoffs, out of a few hundred playoff teams. So you odds are next to zero of being a playoff/Super Bowl contender with no pre-season wins.

I've gone back and forth on this subject. I largely think the preseason record doesn't matter. I do think it's important with a young team to experience some sort of success in the W column to reinforce what they are doing is working.

You cannot pick the statistical outlier and pretend that's the dominate outcome.

I can point out a few lottery winners. It doesn't mean you should invest in lottery tickets.

This is the time of year where your positivity is met with red thumbs. Either declare the coming season a wash and behave as though you're in a burning house or keep it to your self

A better question would be how many teams that have been winless in the pre-season have played in the Super Bowl. The answer is zero since football began in the 40's. I think during that time span about a dozen have made the playoffs, out of a few hundred playoff teams. So you odds are next to zero of being a playoff/Super Bowl contender with no pre-season wins.

We can be the first to do it. We were the first team to lose our final 3 regular season games and then go on to win the Superbowl. It's all just what ifs now but I'm excited for the season, week 1 can't come fast enough!

How many teams have won a Super Bowl after losing the last 3 games of the regular season?

The preseason isn't about wins and losses it's about progress. What progress has the offensive line made from last season,?They won't won't miraculously learn how to block all of a sudden during the regular season.
This is partially what I'm trying to say...if you look at the last few years the offensive line has started slow. But something feels different this year. Like there's too much evidence to support that this will be a lingering problem. And if there's one thing that can destroy or hinder this offense it's a leaky offensive line. That's why we've been seeing the concern and outright panic by some fans because what we're seeing isn't encouraging at all.

You cannot pick the statistical outlier and pretend that's the dominate outcome.

I can point out a few lottery winners. It doesn't mean you should invest in lottery tickets.
This! Statistical cherry-picking means nothing. We are worried because we have had a losing team the past couple of years. When we were on our run the preseason didn't men anything, but over past couple of years our preseason has reflected our regular season performance.:jpshakehead: We are not an elite team anymore, even though we still have Drew.

I agree with the original post....and also want to point out that our starting offense often starts games slow. I wish it wasn't a fact, but it normally is. Once in a game and Brees gets in his rhythm everything changes. He and the first string offense hasn't been deep enough into a game to hit their stride.....but they will and some outcomes will be different. Here's to a good season.....Who Dat!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom