This is why I don't believe preseason wins/losses and partial performances matter... (1 Viewer)

I agree with the original post....and also want to point out that our starting offense often starts games slow. I wish it wasn't a fact, but it normally is. Once in a game and Brees gets in his rhythm everything changes. He and the first string offense hasn't been deep enough into a game to hit their stride.....but they will and some outcomes will be different. Here's to a good season.....Who Dat!!

It is true that starters are playing less and less these days. I think our starters with Brees should have at least played the first half. In past years they sometimes play into the third quarter. They haven't had much time to get in sync and gel.

I agree Its not so much about W & L's in a preseason even thought i'm sure them as players and coaches would like to win along with us as fans. Its more or less about the performances during these games are we making the same mistakes with penalties, pass protection, running the ball well basically everything that it takes to win a game. I will say this i'm not sure if we will be a very good team this year but with the amount of rookies on def. you can't expect instant success every year with a lot of these players. I rather go 0-4 in preseason and make plenty of mistakes and learn and possibly be a good team starting the regular season 3-1 or something.

On the other hand, since 2009, the Cardinals, Bears, Colts and Falcons have all had 0-4 preseasons along the line and made the playoffs. So even if we lose all 4 preseason games (which has yet to be determined) there is hope. We have gotten a little ahead of ourselves with the panic, and gloomy forecasts.

Bang !!!

2006 went 1-3 in preseason and Roman Harper said he though the team looked crappy early on the. They went on to win their first two games I guess and the rest was history.

A better question would be how many teams that have been winless in the pre-season have played in the Super Bowl. The answer is zero since football began in the 40's. I think during that time span about a dozen have made the playoffs, out of a few hundred playoff teams. So you odds are next to zero of being a playoff/Super Bowl contender with no pre-season wins.

The correct answer is actually one. The Redskins were 0-4 during the preseason in 1982 and won the Super Bowl.

It's just discouraging when we have a full lineup of starters out getting shredded by people like Garropolo, Osweiler, and Landry Jones. Even with vanilla play calling, other defenses stood up well to our offense. Why couldn't ours do the same? It's not panic time of course but still not very encouraging.

Only Landry Jones/Big Ben shredded our defense. Against the patriots and heuston they looked good/very good and that's why i still have hope on the defense. Maybe they just were in a terrible day. It's different from the o line that struggled all three games.

Drew still only had 2.6 seconds to get rid of the ball agaisnt vanilla defenses ... That going to get better by the regular season ?

It's just discouraging when we have a full lineup of starters out getting shredded by people like Garropolo, Osweiler, and Landry Jones. Even with vanilla play calling, other defenses stood up well to our offense. Why couldn't ours do the same? It's not panic time of course but still not very encouraging.

Didn't the 1st team defense force 2 straight 3 and outs against the Pats? After that Jimmy G was able to get the ball moving, but the starting defense did pretty well IIRC. Similarly against Houston, 1st team defense gets a stop to start the game and Murphy muffs the punt giving them a short field.

With that being said, they looked like hot garbage against the Steelers, but then again, the Steelers are one of the top passing offenses in the league. They're going to make teams look like that. If the o line can step up this team will be pretty good.

For me, it's not about winning or losing a preseason game, it's how you play them. The offense has not played well three straight games and the defense looked poor in the big "third game" test. Hence, I'm not optimistic.

Anyone remember the pre season of the Super Bowl year ?

I remember wanting them run the other team's 1st string off the field and thinking ' man we are going to be good '

The pre season is just that. It doesn't count but, its especially important for us to see where we are given the last couple of seasons we've had. It's a chance to see how young draft picks and UDFA are progressing.

It's not really the W and L aspect of this pre season that has me worried. It's more like I'm watching plans that they were counting on fail right and left ( no Andrus Peat pun intended )

i was all doom and gloom too. but when i sit and think, patriots and texans will be in the playoffs. steelers (IMO) will be fighting in the AFCCG if they keeper their offense healthy. we lost to 3 teams that will likely be in playoffs. all 3 had missed opportunities in them. texans especially. steelers a lot of no calls against us.

its a marathon not a sprint. as long as we stay healthy thru preseason im happy. come on sept 11th!

Wow, be honest, you haven't really watched any of the games? We have not been shredded by any of these guys. Big Ben had a good game, escaping pressure when it was there. Garoppolo, Osweiler didn't look good against our first string defense. Surprisingly defense was excellent in the first 1 games, played okay in the third. Our offense was terrible all 3 games.

The NFL preseason matters a little more than you think | For The Win

This article from 2015 takes a while to get where it's going, but it was interesting all the same. Essentially:
Basically, it’s better to go 2-2 than it is to go 0-4, but the percentage of teams making the playoffs with a specific preseason record is the same across the spectrum.

But, really, last year’s NFC East is a perfect example of what can be the utter meaningless and randomness of preseason games. The New York Giants went a perfect 5-0, then only went 6-10 in the regular season. Washington went 3-1, then only managed four wins in the regular season. Meanwhile, Dallas was 0-4 in exhibition games and went on to go 12-4 and came within a catch of going to the NFC championship.

So, preseason record matters, kind of, except when it doesn't.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom