This is why i hate Valentines day (1 Viewer)

to take it a step further, men have to shoulder some of the blame as well......years of buying presents and flowers doesn't help the situation....not to mention the guys who send their wife a $200 bouquet to the office and all of the other ladies ooooh and ahhhh over it......which leads to them saying "why didn't you buy me flowers??"

If only we could unionize and get a set standard of V-day gifting.

You should have let her have it for being selfish.

i absolutely agree with this one. i dont do a dam thing on valentines day except go eat out, because no matter what i would do, it wouldnt be good enough. or if it was good enough, she would expect it every year. and when i would get her a teddy bear or something, it would just end up in her attic the next week

I think you all need to train your women better.
:p :D

My wife and I are going out to eat for Valentines this weekend as last weekend was not a good weekend to go anywhere.

what the hell is with women and cards? If i buy a gift for a friend (like almost never) I'm not gonna get, nor would said friend expect a dumb card...

I will never understand that with women. Its a damn card for God's sake...

Well, this woman agrees with you...I can think of a lot better use for the money than a piece of cardboard with a goofy sentiment and some glitter on it. Just tell me in your own words how you feel; don't pay Hallmark or whoever to say it for you. There are some cards that are rare exceptions because they're truly funny or unique, but overall the greeting card selection is weak at best. And those rare funny ones...I'll go to the local Hallmark and read them for free, get my laugh, and leave with my money still in my wallet.

Now cards that my kids make...that's an entirely different story. Those are priceless. :9: Also, it is worth it to buy a card for the kids and mail it to them for birthdays, Valentines Day, etc. -- the fact that they've actually gotten their own piece of mail means more to them than the actual card, but they do enjoy the card itself. I'll give in on that one. But for me, I tell my hubby to use the money he'd spend on a card and get me chocolate instead. :worthy:

And the thing that gets me is that she's usually pretty anti vanentines, not into cards or ever asking for expensive gifts.

It's like some crazy woman came in and replaced the woman I'm used to being with...... wait, isn't that the definition of a WIFE? Omg, I just realized that my wife turned into a wife!!

So its Feb 19
Five days after the 14th

Wife has been moping around all evening, I ask her whats up... took like 4 times before she decides to tell. I get the whole nine about not getting her a card for valentines day, how much she's hurt, how I always get her a card, etc etc....

Yet I cooked a great meal, candle lit. Had a nice arrangement of flowers. Made her favorite desert and had what I thought was a quality evening. I even gave a box of chocolates to the kids to give her. BUT NOOOOO the flowers & candy from kids felt like an after thought. The dinner wasn't enough, I can cook anytime. No mention of the candles or the favorite desert, the quality time or even the friggin full body massage.

My God.... guess I know better than to press her about what's wrong when she's moping around.

...and I even did the dishes!

I should have stuck with my original plan of frozen pizza & Warcraft, the result would be the same.

Dang...

she sounds pretty selfish to me.... sorry man, seems like you did the right thing!!

You should bring her to hall-mark let her pick out her favorite card, tell her to read it to you, then be like "alright, let's go" and leave without buying anything!!

I have to say I was happy with what I got and there was no card. I got a box of chocolates a single red rose and a big stuffed animal i now use as my pillow. I loved it all and could care less one way or another about the card lol

2003567580.jpg

I question if this is just about the card. It seems something more might be at work and she's looking for confrontation to deal with that feeling. Maybe she just wanted some drama, maybe she's feeling lonely, maybe she's overly emotional about something else and doesn't even realize it or maybe it really is just about the card. The only way to find out is to communicate with her to see if she knows or will talk about it.

My advice would be to talk to her about it maturely and resist the urge to just give her a card next year. Although, it would seem fitting that kind of reaction will only serve to damage your relationship. You did what many women would appreciate and her reaction doesn't change who you are or how you should feel about it. Give whatever gift you feel right next year so that you can be satisfied with yourself and don't let her prior or future reaction influence you other than maybe adding a card.

Most importantly, go ahead and feel good about your gift to her and accept that for what ever reason she decided to make an issue. That's her problem and not yours if she won't or can't talk to you about it.

I question if this is just about the card. It seems something more might be at work and she's looking for confrontation to deal with that feeling. Maybe she just wanted some drama, maybe she's feeling lonely, maybe she's overly emotional about something else and doesn't even realize it or maybe it really is just about the card. The only way to find out is to communicate with her to see if she knows or will talk about it.

My advice would be to talk to her about it maturely and resist the urge to just give her a card next year. Although, it would seem fitting that kind of reaction will only serve to damage your relationship. You did what many women would appreciate and her reaction doesn't change who you are or how you should feel about it. Give whatever gift you feel right next year so that you can be satisfied with yourself and don't let her prior or future reaction influence you other than maybe adding a card.

Most importantly, go ahead and feel good about your gift to her and accept that for what ever reason she decided to make an issue. That's her problem and not yours if she won't or can't talk to you about it.

Pretty sound advice, I've really just got to let this thing ride and get past it. I have to say that she's been especially nice today, maybe she was hormonal yesterday for some reason.

As much as I want to let her have it for acting selfish like most of you reccomend I realize this will just put me in a confrontation thats probably unnecessary.

Funny how this place is like a therapy session.

So its Feb 19
Five days after the 14th

Wife has been moping around all evening, I ask her whats up... took like 4 times before she decides to tell. I get the whole nine about not getting her a card for valentines day, how much she's hurt, how I always get her a card, etc etc....

Yet I cooked a great meal, candle lit. Had a nice arrangement of flowers. Made her favorite desert and had what I thought was a quality evening. I even gave a box of chocolates to the kids to give her. BUT NOOOOO the flowers & candy from kids felt like an after thought. The dinner wasn't enough, I can cook anytime. No mention of the candles or the favorite desert, the quality time or even the friggin full body massage.

My God.... guess I know better than to press her about what's wrong when she's moping around.

...and I even did the dishes!

I should have stuck with my original plan of frozen pizza & Warcraft, the result would be the same.

women are really weird about cards. I once gave my wife (when i was still interested) a $100 gift card for V-Day, and got the same moopy reaction because i didn't get a VD card with it.

Next time just pick one, any one and sign your name to it. The card itself is not as important as the effort you put forth to get it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom