N/S This kid is going into 9th grade. (1 Viewer)

I've got 2 boys also....6'2" and 6'4" and both hovering in the 230-260lb range. Our grocery bills were routinely $1200-$1500 per month for a family of 5!

When they moved out, we could afford things....new cars, new TVs, vacations, etc... They lamented "why didn't you do these things while we lived at home? we would've liked to drive a BMW! we would've liked to vacation in Bermuda!"

And our response.....it took every dollar we had to FEED you! The things you see are what we have SAVED in grocery money!
I love my sons very much so they never heard me complain. But when they moved out we were in the same situation as you we could afford things that we could’t before. My oldest son is getting a taste of what it was like because he has 4 sons.

🤔 A rising 9th grader already going viral as “the next great football player”...having everyone kiss his butt and tell him he’s the best for the next 4 years... every girl trying to get with him... every teacher giving him breaks...

Maybe I’m just a jaded old man, but this sounds like a recipe for disappointment.
Clowney?

I love my sons very much so they never heard me complain. But when they moved out we were in the same situation as you we could afford things that we could’t before. My oldest son is getting a taste of what it was like because he has 4 sons.
I'm with you on that. Never complain. You do what you gotta do for the people you love, and just be grateful you have them to love.

I just found it ironic that THEY brought up the change in lifestyle. As if we were holding back on "fun money" to deprive them of things. They truly had no idea of the sacrifices made. They look at their own grocery bills and think we exaggerated a bit. I told them to take their grocery bill and multiply by 5 and they'll have a more realistic number for comparison. They're a little more "woke" now.

Also told them "We didn't complain spending all that money to feed you hosses", so don't you complain because now we have the money to spend on things other than food.

I've got 2 boys also....6'2" and 6'4" and both hovering in the 230-260lb range. Our grocery bills were routinely $1200-$1500 per month for a family of 5!

When they moved out, we could afford things....new cars, new TVs, vacations, etc... They lamented "why didn't you do these things while we lived at home? we would've liked to drive a BMW! we would've liked to vacation in Bermuda!"

And our response.....it took every dollar we had to FEED you! The things you see are what we have SAVED in grocery money!
Works out to between $8-$10 per person/per day, which is reasonable. With bulk buying, willingness to cook and use cheaper cuts of meat you could get it down to maybe $5 per day before you start venturing into unhealthy ramen noodle territory. And that doesn't include the occasional eating out.

What unfortunately doesn't work in his favor is that he will not be playing against any real competition for a while and that can stunt development. After his freshman year in college, that will be the only time to truly see where he COULD be as a prospect. It is almost better to grow, be pushed and prevail through a bit of adversity as the competition is steadily increasing. He won't even know until he suits up against the next level in college and hopefully against good SEC big boys.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom