This may be far fetched, but I am going to pose the question anyway. (1 Viewer)

Super44

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
IF the 2020 season is played but with no fans, would Drew reconsider retiring?

I think all cards would be on the table should the season be played without fans! And not only for Brees, but for some other players and coaches as well.

This could get real dicey for teams with players close to retirement, and who were being counted on heavily for this upcoming season. And considering the possibility of sudden retirements, post draft, it could even be a bigger problem for some teams.

Let’s face it. Not only not being able to play in front of a live audience, but the fact players will be in such close contact, some players may feel there is just too much risk and will retire. Think about Drew’s situation. He contracts the virus from another player and subsequently brings it home and his wife and or kids contract it? Is it really worth it? I say a big HECK NO!

I'd think with everything going on, it could certainly have a player learn towards retiring if they are already on the fence. I think it's just a wait and see thing for everyone right now.

No chance. Playing in empty stadiums wouldn’t take away any of the reasons why he’s playing. Fans will still follow the game, perhaps even more passionately than ever.

Will his stats in the empty stadium count towards records? If so, then he'll play.
You think that warrants him to play? You HONESTLY believe that will drive him to play, all things considered? You think he is shallow then. I don’t. IMO of course, I think he just may retire.

You think that warrants him to play? You HONESTLY believe that will drive him to play, all things considered? You think he is shallow then. I don’t.

I think it's one of the primary reasons he's coming back (among others), yes.

I think he will play if the season happens primarily because he said he would

I do think it would be harder for all players to play the same in empty stadiums - could be like our 2005 year and may cause injury etc

You think that warrants him to play? You HONESTLY believe that will drive him to play, all things considered? You think he is shallow then. I don’t. IMO of course, I think he just may retire.
What's shallow about an athlete wanting to keep his records and why do we think he exist on some moral plane unlike other humans? Retired athletes argue about whether they are better than current players. I think Drew is a good dude but you have have an ego to want to best the best in any aspect of life.

Yes he is that shallow. The records and the money keep Drew Brees playing. That is who he is, besides being a great QB.
Its doesn't bother me at all. As long as he puts the Ws up for the New Orleans Saints God bless him. I am a New Orleans fans. I'm not a Saints fan, I'm not a, name any player, fan. I am a New Orleans fan. As long as a player is helping the New Orleans team win I like him. Also go back and read the "Brees is done with New Orleans after he retires" I don't hold it against him that he wants to move and live in SD after his playing days are over.

Let’s face it. Not only not being able to play in front of a live audience, but the fact players will be in such close contact, some players may feel there is just too much risk and will retire. Think about Drew’s situation. He contracts the virus from another player and subsequently brings it home and his wife and or kids contract it? Is it really worth it? I say a big HECK NO!

A lot of the talk this week has been about players staying in a hotel all season away from their families. Whether it's that or just testing every player before each game the NFL will find a safe way to do it.

Think about Drew’s situation. He contracts the virus from another player and subsequently brings it home and his wife and or kids contract it? Is it really worth it? I say a big HECK NO!

Haha, if Drew gets it then everybody’s getting it. Have you seen how many times he licks his fingers before touching the football? He’s built up a resistance to all kinds of funk over the course of his career.

What's shallow about an athlete wanting to keep his records and why do we think he exist on some moral plane unlike other humans? Retired athletes argue about whether they are better than current players. I think Drew is a good dude but you have have an ego to want to best the best in any aspect of life.
He has achieved great success. He is going to go down as one of the greatest EVER! He has established records. I get the ego thing. All athletes have an ego, greater than the average person. And as far as the moral plane thing goes. It has been well documented about his committmrnt to his faith, which in his case, is stonger than most other players. But after what he has established and the fact he may not be playing in front of his hometown fans, I think he may retire. If he plays, so be it. If it were me and I were in his position with family and good health, great wealth and established greatness, I would call it a day over the risk. But I suppose some of you feel like greatness and playing a game is more important than life. Ego trumps the risk, right? This is no joke.

Haha, if Drew gets it then everybody’s getting it. Have you seen how many times he licks his fingers before touching the football? He’s built up a resistance to all kinds of funk over the course of his career.
It isn’t just about him. It is the potential risk of transmitting it as an asymptomatic type, to his wife, to his children and other family members. It is not just about him. I am quite sure, he is healthy enough that he would easily overcome it. This is why I think he may reconsider, depending on how this all shakes out with the steps the league will take. We’ll see.

Yes he is that shallow. The records and the money keep Drew Brees playing. That is who he is, besides being a great QB.
Its doesn't bother me at all. As long as he puts the Ws up for the New Orleans Saints God bless him. I am a New Orleans fans. I'm not a Saints fan, I'm not a, name any player, fan. I am a New Orleans fan. As long as a player is helping the New Orleans team win I like him. Also go back and read the "Brees is done with New Orleans after he retires" I don't hold it against him that he wants to move and live in SD after his playing days are over.
Everything you said has merit. But in this potential upcoming situation (season), there are a lot of other factors for him (other players), to weigh. What about staff, such as coaches, trainers...etc., that may be at higher risk, due to age and health issues? I would think most players would be asymptomatic. But a few NBA players weren’t and paid for it by getting sick. We shall see soon enough.

At the end of the day, before any game is played, or before any organized team practices are commenced, the NFLPA is going to have a lot to say about it all.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom