This mock draft would be really cool... (1 Viewer)

crosswatt

Gone Fishing.
Staff member
Administrator
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
http://scoutsnotebook.com/modules.php?name=mockdraft0708

<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=1 width=700 border=1><TBODY><TR><TD class=i0 align=middle width=45 bgColor=#ffffff>10 </TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#ffffff><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=50 height=45><!--- Image link below --->
saints.gif
</TD><TD width=5></TD><TD>New Orleans Saints </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TD class=bg noWrap bgColor=#ffffff><CENTER><!--- Player and Link Below --->Sedrick Ellis </CENTER></TD><TD class=bg align=middle bgColor=#ffffff>DT </TD><TD class=bg align=middle bgColor=#ffffff>USC </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Ellis at #10 would make my dreams come true.

Another safety for Washington?!
Well, uh, they did kind of lose one this year.

Sed Ellis is the guy I want right now.

That may change after the combine/prodays, and after I've had a chance to see more video and read more scouting reports, but from what I know so far he's supposed to have a great mix of work ethic and ability.

With all the talk of how we need a CB, MLB, WLB, and FS, it seems to get lost a little bit that we have a huge need at 3-tech DT. Brian Young hasn't been able to stay on the field and is a free agent. Thomas/Lake/Clancy are decent pluggers, but none of them are even close to what you would call dynamic pass-rushers. Sed Ellis, a hard worker who has well-developed inside pass rush moves, would fill that void.

I think that having a dynamic 3-tech DT would improve our pass rush exponentially. Look at our ends. Smith and Grant are both "bull rushers", not "speed rushers". The problem with the "bull rush" is that it takes time to develop, and the QB can see it coming. This means it doesn't produce when the QB has room in front of him to step up.

With a strong inside pass rush, the pocket collapses, the QB can't step up, and Smith and Grant both become far more productive.

I'd be fine with this mock, if and only if we were able to trade up in the 2nd to take Dan Connor, as I didn't see him in the first round and I don't know that he'd be around by 10 in the 2nd....

Well, uh, they did kind of lose one this year.

Sed Ellis is the guy I want right now.

That may change after the combine/prodays

I doubt it; barring any unforseen circumstances or injuries, the combine will raise Sed's stock, not lower it.

Games are won or loss in the trenches. Brian Young's a FA, been dinged up, and isn't getting any younger (he's 30). Hollis Thomas is 33 and wears down quickly if he's not rotated frequently. Kendrick Clancy's 29 and after winning the starting job from Thomas suffered a turf toe injury. He was never really effective after that. Renaldo Wynn is FA and converted DE. He helped late in the season. Antwan Lake is nice depth. Both Saints DEs are overweight bullrushers who lack speed. So the Saints DL is comprised of hobbled old men, backups, and fat guys. Dorsey or Ellis would be a welcome additions......

I'd be fine with this mock, if and only if we were able to trade up in the 2nd to take Dan Connor, as I didn't see him in the first round and I don't know that he'd be around by 10 in the 2nd....

No reason to trade up. Just take Goff, Hall, Lemen, Mayo, or Crable.

The decision between Ellis and Laurinaitis would be tough... One that would be criticized if the one you pick doesn't do as well as the the other. That's almost a coin toss to me...

BTW, I highly doubt that we will see the Pats pass on Laurinaitis if he is available. Their LB core is OLD.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom