This offense could explode this year - lots of reasons why it was below expectations in 2019 (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
I think we can all agree that last season's offense, was probably one of the weakest of the Payton era. We still grinded out points, but there was no explosion or quick strikes we've become accustomed to.

As usual in the NFL, injuries were the number culprit. At first glance, we didn't have that many guys go on IR, but we had a LOT of lingering injuries to important players.

Here are five reasons, I think this year's offense could be the best in quite a few years.

1. Brees thumb will be stronger and a renewed emphasis on arm strength. Will Brees workouts on arm strength pay off? Who knows but it can't hurt. And even if his arm isn't stronger, his thumb will be, which will help.
2. Kamara will be 100 percent. Not having a viable No. 2 WR was bad enough last season. Add to that a hobbled Kamara and the offense was pretty meh. If he gets back to his old self, this will be huge.
3. Sanders - As stated earlier, our WR corps last season outside of Thomas was bad. Consider the fact that Krishawn Hogan was active in 8 games last year...Dude wasn't even good enough to make it to Training Camp this season. Sanders is our best No. 2 WR since Cooks/Snead. He's going to really open things up for Kamara and Cook.
4. OL injuries - Peat was pretty awful after coming back from injury last season and Warford obviously wasn't very good. It surprised a lot of people when Warford was cut. But it all makes sense now. He was heavy and his opt out may give some indication of how passionate he is to play. If Peat can return to 2018 form and Ruiz is as good as they think he is, the OL will be considerably improved. The OL always has a giant * though with Armstead's health.
5. TE - Cook started very slow but came on strong. He should be better in year two and Trautman is poised to be a nice addition.

Bonus - Taysom Hill hit his stride down the stretch. I think he's now one of the top weapons on the offense. I expect big things from him this year.

On paper, this is a much better offense. Injuries will always be the key factor. If we stay healthy, I expect a top 5 Offense with a lot more big plays.

I see what you're saying and you make valid points but I mean, we finished with the 9th most yards and 3rd most points in the league last season. Almost the same as the year before.

Now that we have a defense, the offense is more about efficiency. Back when we didn't have a defense the offense put up some crazy numbers playing in shootouts or coming from behind. We're not used to seeing complimentary football but this is what it looks like.

Not to mention Deonte Harris has been a great addition to special teams. I look to see him more involved in the offense this year. He's our own Tyreek Hill.

That and the upgrade at center. We got beat by inside pressure from Minnesota. After this off-season and a healthy team, its hard to find a weakness in this offense.

I see what you're saying and you make valid points but I mean, we finished with the 9th most yards and 3rd most points in the league last season. Almost the same as the year before.

Now that we have a defense, the offense is more about efficiency. Back when we didn't have a defense the offense put up some crazy numbers playing in shootouts or coming from behind. We're not used to seeing complimentary football but this is what it looks like.
Exactly.

These are the 2019 offensive stats I find mouthwatering:

1st (Fewest) in giveaways per game
2nd in average time of possession
5th in points per game

We literally suffocated teams with efficient, scoring offense and capable defense. It works

I think having the real Kamara back on the field will help with efficiencies. Couple him keeping us in more manageable down and distance and more guys demanding coverage away from MT and we have the makings for machine like efficiency.

of course the one thing that all that hinges on is Oline continuity. So that is what I’ll be paying closest attention to early on. Clean QB and no stupid penalties.

This should be the best offense we have ever put on the field. We have a future hall of fame QB wanting one last shot at a ring. We got a gadget QB that is the best slash to ever suit it up IMO. Kordell Stewart doesn’t have anything on Taysom Hill. He adds such a different dynamic to this offense and has defensive coordinators freaking out when he’s out there on offense. Then we have an even better true backup QB in Jameis Winston. He’s more talented than Teddy by far. Alvin Kamara was banged up all year and it showed. If he stays healthy and looks like the Kamara of old, he’s one of the best backs in football. Latavius Murray complements him perfectly in that he’s a big back that can get you those tough yards. We have a more dynamic 3rd back in Ty Montgomery that gives you some of the same kind of stuff Kamara can give you. We got the best receiver in the game in Michael Thomas. We got the best number 2 receiver we have possibly ever had in Emmanuel Sanders.. He’s a little up in age, but it didn’t show last year with the 49ers. He will be a massive upgrade to Ted Ginn. This is Tre’Quan’s do or die year with the team. It’s either step up or go home. He’s shown he can play in this league. He just needs to show some consistency. I think Deonte Harris will be used a lot more on offense going into his second season. He gives you that blazing speed every offense could use, whether it’s in the running game or receiving. Hopefully Emmanuel Butler will be used more this season as I believe he was one of our better receivers last year, but for whatever reason coach didn’t think he was ready his rookie season. He looks like a Marques Colston big possession receiver that could be huge for this offense. Bennie Fowler could be a big, sneaky addition as well at receiver. He gives us more of a veteran presence that we really don’t have after our top 2 receivers. It took Jared Cook a little time to get in a groove last year, so hopefully he will be there from the jump. Josh Hill is a solid backup tight end, but Adam Trautman can possibly give us that beast 2nd tight end some teams have implemented to their offenses with much success. And the key to the whole deal is having one of the best offensive lines in the game. And it could possibly be even better with Cesar Ruiz replacing the weak link Larry Warford as a starter. We seemed to have gotten better at every position besides possibly fullback which isn’t a big deal at all. I’m excited to see this offense on the field and it stinks not getting a preseason to see the new additions and the youngsters get some playing time before the real games kick off.

Last edited:
I think something we're overlooking here is that there will be little to no crowd noise this year. I think offenses around the league, not just the Saints, should thrive in environments where communication is never an issue.

Let’s look at proven commodities. Brees. CGM, Sanders, AK, Armstead, Ram, McCoy.

So that’s a QB, RB, 2 WRs, and 3 stud lineman.

Let’s say the last 7 games last year is the Jared Cook we get all season. Let’s say Ruiz becomes a nice new edition. Let’s assume Peat with his new body is even better.

If Taysom continues to evolve then this is truly the best offense we have had on paper since 2011. Another potential X factor is creating more ripples on offense for Deonte Harris. That would be a very nice cherry on top.

I’ll never forecast any offense for any team to be better than the 2011 squad. But this is still a very potent and dynamic offense.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom