This offense is the result of the starters playing one series in pre season... (1 Viewer)

FLIPPY

Angler of the Year
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
In Payton's coaching era, the starters usually played 1 series in the first preseason game, the first half of the second, and usually half to three quarters in the third. Fourth game was usually guys just trying to make the team. This offense looks lost and out of sync. It usually takes them at least 2 games to get it together, this was the third game and they still looked like ****.

They still have 14 games in the season, and can make it up, but the way they looked yesterday, against a mediocre to bad team, it's really tough holding out.

They're still make preseason mistakes...

Last edited:
I agree. I've been posting this perspective on a lot of threads since the game ended and watched other teams perform. These teams are not in sync because they are not all practicing or playing together during camp, a lot of our guys were getting prepared for the regular season and weren't really practicing much and I think a lot of teams have been doing the same thing so the product coming out is still a work in progress and you can see this by (when it comes to the Saints) how the offense has yet to put together complete game.

Last edited:
I think that absolutely is PART of the issue. Im all for starters getting much more time in preseason- injuries are going to happen - be it preseason or regular season if a players body simply isnt ready.

This notion of "protecting" for regular season makes no sense to me in a game that is as violent as the NFL.

We STILL have players succumbing to injury over the first 3 weeks and it wont get better. Rather have someone with a sprain/strain happen in week 1 or 2 of preseason instead of week 5 of regular season.

In Payton's coaching era, the starters usually played 1 series in the first preseason game, the first half of the second, and usually half to three quarters in the third. Fourth game was usually guys just trying to make the team. This offense looks lost and out of sync. It usually takes them at least 2 games to get it together, this was the third game and they still looked like ****.

They still have 14 games in the season, and can make it up, but the way they looked yesterday, against a mediocre to bad team, it's really tough holding out.

They're still make preseason mistakes...
I went to several training camp practices and remarked how bad Winston looked. Almost everyone said "he's coming off an injury and Brees looked bad at training camp practices". I responded by stating that "I attended numerous training camp practices when Brees was the QB and he never looked as bad as Winston looked and the leg injury wasn't the problem in my opinion." We don't need HoF QB play to win games, but we need substantially better QB play than we are receiving right now.

That's a part of it, but it doesn't explain offensive linemen getting overpowered by their opponents, the QB's inability to read defenses or call appropriate audibles presnap to adjust to what the defense is trying to do, the RBs' fumbilitis, and the complete lack of discipline on penalties.

I went to several training camp practices and remarked how bad Winston looked. Almost everyone said "he's coming off an injury and Brees looked bad at training camp practices". I responded by stating that "I attended numerous training camp practices when Brees was the QB and he never looked as bad as Winston looked and the leg injury wasn't the problem in my opinion." We don't need HoF QB play to win games, but we need substantially better QB play than we are receiving right now.
Average QB play wins that game yesterday

It’s a part of it…but not the main reason.

We are being out-schemed. The defenses we are facing are exposing our weaknesses and exploiting them.

This is common - so offensive coordinators have to stay a step ahead in their schemes. Carmichael is not.

Add the mental lapses and penalties and it paints a bleak picture.

I agree. I've been posting this perspective on a lot of threads since the game ended and watched other teams perform. These teams are not in sync because they are not all practicing or playing together during came, a lot of our guys were getting prepared for the regular season and weren't really practicing much and I think a lot of teams have been doing the same thing so the product coming out is still a work in progress and you can see this buy (when it comes to the Saints) how the offense has yet to put together complete game.

I actually felt better after watching the Broncos game. I mean they managed to win but their offense with the high priced Wilson is worse than ours. Mostly 3 and outs. I am sure they will figure it out and I have some hope that we can, too.

It's a factor but we could not control Jameis' foot, MT ongoing recovery in terms of playing. You don't expect the team to come out slow and the game plan to be so basic.

Excuses are like b-holes. Everybody has one.

TC is shorter, less practices, less preseason games. But all 31 other teams have the same problem. On to the next excuse.

The problem is lack of attention to detail, focus and discipline. That comes from the top. The offense is bland, dated and schematically vanilla, that comes from the top. Special teams is pretty much all around a poopshow. And comes from the top. The coach has zero fire in him, I cant even begin to imagine how bad this will get if the defense quits on him. It feels like DA is a DC and there is no Head Coach. Its vacant. No one is actually at the wheel.

Then AFTER all that, you can blame individual players, but the problems on this team are extremely top heavy.

Last edited:
Bottom line is the offense is predictable. Running into loaded boxes and not picking up the blitz. Drive ending penalties, unimaginative play calls, no pre-snap reads, no screens or badly executed screen, passes to Kamara?, tight formations when you have three WR with that can stretch defenses. The list goes on.

Most teams if not all hardly played their starters in preseason. I've watched a lot of games so far in the first three weeks and it does show with teams not being in sync. That being said, I think the Saints have bigger issues than that. The other teams may be out of sync but they are still able to put up points. At this point I don't have much confidence that this coaching staff can right the ship offensively.

Running into loaded boxes.
This is what I'm talking about when I mentioned Jameis's inability to audible presnap. Brees usually tried to change the play in those situations; in fact, I recall reading Payton always gave him two plays and he would call the one best suited to attack the defensive formation presnap.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom