This offensive system doesn't work without Sean Payton. It barely worked without Brees. (1 Viewer)

With no Vertical threat at TE and continuity outside and slot its hard to strike like they used to. I was hoping MT would stay on the field this year to help with this issue. Its the offense scheme. They do not and Have not had the players to run this system for years. We struck gold on MT and it got hidden but its been this way for a few years thr NFL has caught up to the Matchups it creates and plays more nickle having a TE that does nothing offensively then hinders the offense even more

Nail meets coffin.

The biggest question is why did we stop using analytics when Payton left?
It likely would have worked better without all the injuries and lack of WR talent but without Brees Payton, to me, coached some of his better games and was more balanced and leaned more on the OL/run game. Except without the QB/WR talent he could not capitalize the same way on the opportunities to hit the vertical shots.

Unless he stumbles into another situation with a great QB talent Payton also won't likely see any staggering success in his next run. He and everyone else enjoyed a halo effect from Brees. Without Brees Payton would have been done here in 4 years. His defenses and special teams were trash early on and he was too loyal to sub par staff. And offensively before Brees he was just so-so. At the Giants with Kerry Collin he got kind of demoted from play calling and in Dallas with Quincy Carter there was nothing special to see.

Brees was the straw that stirred the drink.

That said, Payton did get better over time and coached some great games without Brees. I'd take that Payton back if you could pair him with the right DC and GM and he sticks to the offense and the motivational/leadership aspects of the HC job. Then you only have to be concerned about his relapses in the playoffs.

TBH it wasn't really working all that well with Payton and Brees either:

1670082520534.png

The league caught up

Don’t think that is very fair to Brees, wasn’t he playing with a torn rotator cuff in that game? I love CSP but he made a mistake in this game….Hill or Winston playing would have given us a better chance to win that game….

Don’t think that is very fair to Brees, wasn’t he playing with a torn rotator cuff in that game? I love CSP but he made a mistake in this game….Hill or Winston playing would have given us a better chance to win that game….
When was the last time the offense was actually good in the playoffs?

2011? It always feels like the offense strugglebus in the playoffs.

When was the last time the offense was actually good in the playoffs?

2011? It always feels like offense strugglebus in the playoffs.

I agree but to be honest the offense struggled mightily against the Vikes in the 2009 NFC championship game, we won because the Vikes turned it over like 5-6 times….

IMO, CSP‘s biggest coaching blunders were the game referenced above (playing an obviously injured Brees) and the Vikes game where they lined up their speed rushers inside and he refused to stick with the run, basically playing to their D’s strength….

It wasn't just that playoff game, we always had trouble in the playoffs in the later years where teams stop giving us the short stuff...Minnesota in 18 comes to mind. We played our best ball against teams that were afraid of the over the top and gave us the underneath. Tampa and Minn were on to us and didn't give us anything.

Yeah, I don't understand why we're running this heavy underneath scheme when it's not a strength of anyone but Dalton and he's not even very good at it because he is nowhere near as talented as Drew. There's also no creativity, no creating mismatches, no situational playcalling aside from Atlanta in the 4th.

It wasn't just that playoff game, we always had trouble in the playoffs in the later years where teams stop giving us the short stuff...Minnesota in 18 comes to mind. We played our best ball against teams that were afraid of the over the top and gave us the underneath. Tampa and Minn were on to us and didn't give us anything.
Even Philly and Chicago played us tough the last two playoff games against them and in both cases after we torched them in regular season matchups.

Yeah, I don't understand why we're running this heavy underneath scheme when it's not a strength of anyone but Dalton and he's not even very good at it because he is nowhere near as talented as Drew. There's also no creativity, no creating mismatches, no situational playcalling aside from Atlanta in the 4th.
*puts on foil cap*
Maybe that was DA's plan the whole time. :unsure:

I agree but to be honest the offense struggled mightily against the Vikes in the 2009 NFC championship game, we won because the Vikes turned it over like 5-6 times….

IMO, CSP‘s biggest coaching blunders were the game referenced above (playing an obviously injured Brees) and the Vikes game where they lined up their speed rushers inside and he refused to stick with the run, basically playing to their D’s strength….
Oh please don't forget not running the clock down and throwing a pass that interference should have been called, when we could have run the and run down the remaining clock, then DA defense allowed the Rams to go down the field and on to the SB. I'll never forget this one.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom