This post season highlighted another major position of need for Saints.. (1 Viewer)

Kick returning is summarily dead, I'd never invest significant time, energy, or money in that issue.

Once again, I present you Chris Williams of the Hamilton TigerCats:
Hits the seam like one of my favorites...Michael Lewis. Any stats on his speed?

I don't have the stats on how fast he is, but I give you 3 more important ones:

- He has gained over a 1,000 on the 2 seasons he has played on the CFL.

- He has returned 5 punts for touchdown.

- He has returned one kickoff for touchdown.

The guy is not only a special teamer, he can also contribute in the offense.

He is very raw, needs a lot of coaching and he is small. At 25, he is worth a try up with the saints.

He will not cost any draft picks, nothing to loose trying him.

To replace his special teams role, or total role? Because I would throw something at my TV if we wasted a pick on a guy who's primary job is to return kicks when 2/3 of kicks end as touchbacks. Kick Returner has to be like #20 at best on things that should be addressed for this roster.

Don't get me wrong, That dude totally impacted the game, as a great kick returner can, but the value of a kick returner is been diminished 3 fold since the kickoff spot got moved up a couple years ago.

Total role. Austin can play WR, RB, KR, and PR. He is able to line up in the backfield and assume the 4-5 carries that we gave Sproles. He's electrifying in the return game, dangerous in the slot, and just tantalizing to watch with the ball in his hands. Sproles is 30 and going into year three of his deal. He is so integral to our offense, and I think it is important for us to start to project ahead to how we will replace him in our offense. Cadet is decent, but does not have Sproles' speed and does not cause the mismatches Sproles does. If we were able to land Austin, I think you would see a guy who would be able to offer us a faster version (if there is such a thing) of Sproles while giving our return game a needed boost.

So we need a new kick returner... for what? To run into a new wall of defenders?

We need a new coach before a returner. His schemes was garbage all year around. His only good year was in 2011.

A legit kick returner/punt returner.

I love Sproles to death, but we use him too much on offense for him to be a good consistent returner. And he a better punt returner than KR anyways.

But watching Jacoby Jones and Trindon Holliday this post season, and overall this season just highlights how critical special teams are. You can find those guys late in the draft or even UDFA.

Joe Morgan seems he could be a good returner but we dont use him there for some reason. We really need to focus on that positon, and special teams in general this off season.

Offense, Defense, Special Teams wins Championships!

It really pains me to say it, but "Honey Badger??"

I mentioned the need for a kick returner before the Giants game but it wasn't well received. Judging by how the OP is rated I think that people are still content with Cadet and his 4.7 speed fielding kicks.

2 names to remember in the draft when discussing Kick returners:

Reggie Dunn--Returned 4 kickoffs for TDs in 2012. UDFA-type.

Quincy Mcduffie
--Led nation with a 34.2 yards per kick return this year.

Other undrafted returnmen:

Jerodis Williams ---Led FCS in K.O. Return average (36 ypr)

Miguel Maysonet
(Slippery athlete, among FCS leaders in all-purpose yards)

Tyron Laughinghouse
Led D-2 in K.O. Return Average (40.0 Yards per return)

The Saints need a tall burner returner and WR. Jacoby Jones is from New Orleans too... I'm just sayin

Return Kickoffs, returning punts are a different story thats like a really long delayed handoff. We need some one with real speed back there. I'd try Joe morgan

Again, Sproles has a ton of return TDs in his career.

He's proven to be one of the most dangerous return men in the league.

Didn't Sproles score a SP TD against the 49ers last year in the playoffs? Edit: Nope- must have been wishful thinking

I do.

Sproles will be 30 this year. We use him a lot in the passing game. We should give some of those touches to younger players to keep him fresh.

Hes the most used running back as Pierre/Ingram really have no bearing if hes on the field or not as he can be flanked to WR with any of them in the backfield.

Excessive touches in the return game can wear him out...this year would be the best year to crack down on his reps...especially in the return game if we are going to go back to having 4 backs on the roster.

Cadet already seems to be headed in the direction of fulfilling that role but id like to see some competition for him.

You act like 30 is old. His is in the prime of his career. Sproles gets at most what 5 carries a game? 7 receptions? You are saying he cant do kr/pr duties because 12 touches a game is too much???

The thought of Chris Ivory running back a kickoff at full speed is pretty frightening if you're on coverage. :omg2:

Reggie Dunn was one of the most dangerous players in college football.

All Four of his Kickoff TD returns were for 100 yards or more and he averaged 51.3 yards per return.

It's hard to express just how dangerous this kid was last season but this comes close.

Dunn is the first player in NCAA history to have three 100-yard kickoff return touchdowns in the same season, and he has four in his career, which is also a record.

When it comes to returns, Dunn now has his name above some of the greatest returners that football has ever seen. He has accomplished feats that Notre Dame's Raghib "Rocket" Ishmail, Miami’s Devin Hester, or Michigan's Desmond Howard were not able to achieve.
Compton's Reggie Dunn sets NCAA records for kickoff returns - LA Sentinel

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NsGT43n3doA" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JvhqVRKgteA" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2ZxuPMP_YGk" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom