This season is turning into the first yr of a 2 yr build. And I'm ok with that. (1 Viewer)

liveoakh

Rookie
Reaction score
No one ever wants to believe that a team is rebuilding. It doesn't sell a lot of advertising, or put butts in the seats. It's just not sexy. But...here we are. This team really needs to find it's self, much more than just filling out the roster with FA. We need to believe we can win without Drew. To do this, I think Sean is going to push to play/start the rookies, and lean on the next man up mentality. We need new leaders to step up especially on offense. This year may not be about winning the division, or playing in the play offs. What is an obtainable goal though, is to be playing elite football at the end of the season. If we do that, the top free agents will flock to us. A team is like a lump of coal forged into a diamond. It can only happen under great heat and pressure. It can't be done over night. Enjoy the journey, you are about to see some of Sean's best work. If not this year, it will be the next. We are still set up to win.

Btw....Latt, MT, Harris, David O. men not handling their business. You can't blame Sean because spoiled millionaire athletes can't follow the rules. Of the 4 David O. may be the only one back next yr.

It will bea rough start to the season I personally think it will and the mess up by some players will only make it tougher. I just cut my NFL ticket today just because we have a decent amount of prime time games this year and the cost doesn't justify what I most likely will get in return entertainment wise.I think this maybe a throw away year if things go south and they quite possibly could so I think we could see a huge remodel in 2022.

Some of what you are saying, I’m ok with. I don’t think this is our year and there are some silver linings, like having a lot of younger guys getting playing time in their absences. That could lead to discovery. But I still don’t think rebuild is the correct word for a team with solid (when whole) lines on both sides of the ball. We have to plug holes but it’s not a rebuild. Plus a lot of what is going on is just letting our cap subside back to manageable. To be able to do that and still be able to hold on to a lot of all pro type players is a miracle by itself. That all starts working in our favor next year.
- find your QB
- coach up the youth
- evaluate what you need to bring it all together next year.

Some of what you are saying, I’m ok with. I don’t think this is our year and there are some silver linings, like having a lot of younger guys getting playing time in their absences. That could lead to discovery. But I still don’t think rebuild is the correct word for a team with solid (when whole) lines on both sides of the ball. We have to plug holes but it’s not a rebuild. Plus a lot of what is going on is just letting our cap subside back to manageable. To be able to do that and still be able to hold on to a lot of all pro type players is a miracle by itself. That all starts working in our favor next year.
- find your QB
- coach up the youth
Perhaps a 2yr retool, is a better way of saying it. Great assessment.
Plus a lot of what is going on is just letting our cap subside back to manageable. That all starts working in our favor next year.
Absolutely right. We will be big players in the draft and free agency next year.

Perhaps a 2yr retool, is a better way of saying it. Great assessment.

Absolutely right. We will be big players in the draft and free agency next year.
We will not have tons of cap space next year and have a number of key players we need to resign.

It will bea rough start to the season I personally think it will and the mess up by some players will only make it tougher. I just cut my NFL ticket today just because we have a decent amount of prime time games this year and the cost doesn't justify what I most likely will get in return entertainment wise.I think this maybe a throw away year if things go south and they quite possibly could so I think we could see a huge remodel in 2022.
I get it man. Enjoy the season on tv, it will be exciting at times. To much turn over in talent to expect much more.

Terron, Williams, Lattimore, and maybe Winston or Hill to name a few.
I think Terron will hit FA, and set his own price. The same with Latt, he will hit FA and not be back (Sean's dog house.) Taysom will get a better opportunity else where. Wiliams will be the one to cash in, but safety is the cheapest position to give a big contract to. Winston has a whole season to change Sean's mind, but also could hit FA. We got tons of cash, next yr. and a full complement of picks and compensatory picks for the starters we let go. We are stacked next yr.

I think Terron will hit FA, and set his own price. The same with Latt, he will hit FA and not be back (Sean's dog house.) Taysom will get a better opportunity else where. Wiliams will be the one to cash in, but safety is the cheapest position to give a big contract to. Winston has a whole season to change Sean's mind, but also could hit FA. We got tons of cash, next yr. and a full complement of picks and compensatory picks for the starters we let go. We are stacked next yr.
Feels like you confirmed we will not sign some key players. Also, understand the cap is not set for 2022 but we are projected to be over by $27M. Not what I quantify as “tons of cash”. Thanks for helping me out.

I’ve thought this year was going to be more of what I call a remodel. Now I have to say I could be wrong and one of our QB’s step up and shine. If that’s the case great if not Sean will be tested next season with a rookie QB. It’s hard for me as a Saints fan to go back to saying “wait until next year” but it feels different now than it did years ago. I’m setting my goals for this season low and hope to be surprised.

- find your QB
- coach up the youth
Top 10 pick!

Feels like you confirmed we will not sign some key players. Also, understand the cap is not set for 2022 but we are projected to be over by $27M. Not what I quantify as “tons of cash”. Thanks for helping me out.
overthecap.com is showing the Saints at $38M over the assumed cap of $208.2M, which is a very optimistic projection from what I've read thus far.

A more realistic salary cap for 2022 would be closer to $200M.

I wouldn’t call it a rebuild either, we still have too many good players. We clearly have no chance of competing for a super bowl this year but with the right player retention and recruitment we could easily be one of the top contenders next year. There’s still a huge amount of talent on our roster. The list of players I’d say fall into the very good category is as follows:
Lattimore, Williams, Jordan, Onyemata, Davis, Armstead, Ramczyk, Kamara and Thomas. That’s a lot and there are others you could make the case for. Whether we compete next year will be down to how many of those are still here, how well we fill the current holes and who our quarterback is. Trade for a Rodgers/Wilson/Watson level QB (if Winston isn’t the Brees successor) and sort our depth issues then we can absolutely compete again next year.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom