This should be fun - john wayne (1 Viewer)

What is his best movie

• Total voters

David Robbins

Ole Miss Rocks!
Reaction score
What is the greatest john wayne movie of all time.

For me, one of the greatest actors of all time is john wayne. Back in the day he was considered the man's man. In McClintock, his line of - mister, you could have gotten someone killed, and someone should do something about it, but I won't, I won't, the hell I won't...is classic john wayne. But, what is his best movie.

You didn't list The Conqueror?

And you call yourself a John Wayne fan smh

Rio Bravo = El Dorado

John Wayne (John Chance) = John Wayne (Cole Thornton)
Dean Martin (Dude) = Robert Mitchum (JP Harrah)
Rickey Nelson ( Colorado) = James Caan (Mississippi)
Angie Dickinson (Feathers) = Charlene Holt (Maudie)
Walter Brennan (Stumpy) = Arthur Hunnicutt (Bull)
Howard Hawks (Director) = Howard Hawks (Director)
Leigh Brackett (Screenplay) = Leigh Brackett (Screenplay)

They were both good but El Dorado should have been titled "Rio Bravo, the re-make".

Rio bravo...Angie Dickinson, dean martin, Rickey Nelson. Then comes big Jake. Hitari. True grit. Chisholm. God, john wayne was so good

There are a metric ton of actors who could easily pull off a John Wayne roll
But he would struggle MIGHTILY to do a roll that needed actual acting

and also Mel Gibson has nothing in this guy
Really not sure why we would want to hold him up for acclaim

“I believe in white supremacy,” he said, and spoke harshly about African Americans, saying, “We can’t all of a sudden get down on our knees and turn everything over to the leadership of the blacks.”
“I don’t believe in giving authority and positions of leadership and judgment to irresponsible people,” he said.
Of slavery, he said that he didn’t feel any guilt about the U.S. history

“I don’t feel guilty about the fact that five or 10 generations ago these people were slaves,” he said. “Now, I’m not condoning slavery. It’s just a fact of life, like the kid who gets infantile paralysis and has to wear braces so he can’t play football with the rest of us.”

And he spoke harshly about Native Americans when asked whether he felt any empathy for them, given the centrality many of them played in the Westerns he had worked on.
“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them, if that's what you're asking,” Wayne said. “Our so-called stealing of this country from them was just a matter of survival. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom