This should be fun - john wayne (1 Viewer)

What is his best movie

• Total voters
Im going to have to go with True Grit, but the 2010 version starring Jeff Bridges.

5h2ju1.jpg

There are a metric ton of actors who could easily pull off a John Wayne roll
But he would struggle MIGHTILY to do a roll that needed actual acting

and also Mel Gibson has nothing in this guy
Really not sure why we would want to hold him up for acclaim

“I believe in white supremacy,” he said, and spoke harshly about African Americans, saying, “We can’t all of a sudden get down on our knees and turn everything over to the leadership of the blacks.”
“I don’t believe in giving authority and positions of leadership and judgment to irresponsible people,” he said.
Of slavery, he said that he didn’t feel any guilt about the U.S. history

“I don’t feel guilty about the fact that five or 10 generations ago these people were slaves,” he said. “Now, I’m not condoning slavery. It’s just a fact of life, like the kid who gets infantile paralysis and has to wear braces so he can’t play football with the rest of us.”

And he spoke harshly about Native Americans when asked whether he felt any empathy for them, given the centrality many of them played in the Westerns he had worked on.
“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them, if that's what you're asking,” Wayne said. “Our so-called stealing of this country from them was just a matter of survival. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves
2 Goodells and a dead falcon
But no comments
I’m say we shouldn’t lionize a xenophobic, homophobic racist
Y’all seem to disagree with that
And here is a forum where you can express your reasoning

2 Goodells and a dead falcon
But no comments
I’m say we shouldn’t lionize a xenophobic, homophobic racist
Y’all seem to disagree with that
And here is a forum where you can express your reasoning
I don’t mean to speak for anyone else, but I think part of it MAY be that some people don’t like to hear negativity about their heroes, and are willing to overlook certain things to keep them in a positive light. Or perhaps, they agree with his views but won’t say it. Either way, I try to avoid serious discussion here on the board because I work in Human Resources and get my fill of serious discussion on a daily basis. On here, I’m free to be a big idiot full of jokes.

Carry on.

Last edited:
“I don’t feel guilty about the fact that five or 10 generations ago these people were slaves,” he said. “Now, I’m not condoning slavery. It’s just a fact of life, like the kid who gets infantile paralysis and has to wear braces so he can’t play football with the rest of us.”

More like the kid who was mercilessly beaten by bullies and has to wear braces and can't play football and is mocked and shunned for not being able to play football (by the bullies who beat him)

Some people in the past are branded as racists, others (who often said the exact same things) are excused as men/products of their time. the only difference seems to be whether or not we 'like' the person or want to freely continue to like them or their work

John Wayne was a great John Wayne. I never thought he was a great actor. He even admitted that it was an act that he practiced and perfected

the answer to your question is the Searchers - it's the quintessential John Wayne movie

When people think of "John Wayne" and what that means and symbolizes they're thinking of John Wayne in the Searchers

More like the kid who was mercilessly beaten by bullies and has to wear braces and can't play football and is mocked and shunned for not being able to play football (by the bullies who beat him)

Some people in the past are branded as racists, others (who often said the exact same things) are excused as men/products of their time. the only difference seems to be whether or not we 'like' the person or want to freely continue to like them or their work

John Wayne was a great John Wayne. I never thought he was a great actor. He even admitted that it was an act that he practiced and perfected

the answer to your question is the Searchers - it's the quintessential John Wayne movie

When people think of "John Wayne" and what that means and symbolizes they're thinking of John Wayne in the Searchers

The Searchers was a big influence on Martin Scorsese, Steven Spielberg, George Lucas, Sam Peckinpah, David Lean and Vince Gilligan. Impressive list.

“I believe in white supremacy,” he said, and spoke harshly about African Americans, saying, “We can’t all of a sudden get down on our knees and turn everything over to the leadership of the blacks.”
“I don’t believe in giving authority and positions of leadership and judgment to irresponsible people,” he said.

And he spoke harshly about Native Americans when asked whether he felt any empathy for them, given the centrality many of them played in the Westerns he had worked on.
“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them, if that's what you're asking,” Wayne said. “Our so-called stealing of this country from them was just a matter of survival. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves
Well said!
And don't forget his role in persecuting actors and writers in the film industry by reporting his colleagues to the McCarthy witch hunt.

A metric ton COULD. But very few HAVE. He’s an iconic actor...easily among one of the most recognizable in history of media. Not many actors are so iconic that they essentially play themselves in a ton of hit movies...that’s pretty much the definition of charisma.

It’s ok to not like him as a person (albeit a dead person).

A metric ton COULD. But very few HAVE. He’s an iconic actor...easily among one of the most recognizable in history of media. Not many actors are so iconic that they essentially play themselves in a ton of hit movies...that’s pretty much the definition of charisma.

It’s ok to not like him as a person (albeit a dead person).
Elvis also had a ton or charisma - that doesn't mean he was anything more than a passable musician (who also had a tom of people behind him who could have done it much better)
let's not confuse buttoned up producers making marketing decisions for talent scouts - John Wayne was cast bc he best represented a particular mythology that many american men were desperate to believe (and obviously some of their kids and grandkids clutch dearly to that mythology)
but Gregory Peck, Jimmy Stewart, Humphrey Bogart, Spencer Tracy, Cary Grant and many others were all vastly better actors, movie stars and people

Elvis also had a ton or charisma - that doesn't mean he was anything more than a passable musician (who also had a tom of people behind him who could have done it much better)
let's not confuse buttoned up producers making marketing decisions for talent scouts - John Wayne was cast bc he best represented a particular mythology that many american men were desperate to believe (and obviously some of their kids and grandkids clutch dearly to that mythology)
but Gregory Peck, Jimmy Stewart, Humphrey Bogart, Spencer Tracy, Cary Grant and many others were all vastly better actors, movie stars and people
Elvis was bigger than music just like John Wayne was bigger than cinema. You’re going to start a riot up in this bia. Lol

Can't believe the man who shot Liberty Valance wasn't part of the poll. It's arguably his best movie and greatest scene with Lee Marvin and Jimmy Stewart.

Elvis was bigger than music just like John Wayne was bigger than cinema. You’re going to start a riot up in this bia. Lol
ain’t scurred 🙃

but yes, you’re describing mythologies

But it’s was something I was thinking of in relation to Elvis and then all of the rock threads we have - physical appearance should have zero relation to musical appreciation- and yet it seems 90% of pop ha

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom