This should be fun - john wayne (2 Viewers)

What is his best movie

• Total voters
Personal beliefs are not really part of the original post. I could bring up an actor like mel Gibson his racist comments on jews. It doesn't take away from the fact that he was a great action actor

ain’t scurred 🙃

but yes, you’re describing mythologies

But it’s was something I was thinking of in relation to Elvis and then all of the rock threads we have - physical appearance should have zero relation to musical appreciation- and yet it seems 90% of pop ha
It was more than his look though. Elvis was a stud no doubt...but it was his style, his voice...it was the entire package. He also had numerous hits. Certainly you can say that some singers had a better voice, but you can’t ignore the entire package. The same applies to many other iconic individuals through history. Yes, good marketing...but good marketing only gets someone so far...otherwise there would be thousands of Elvis Presley’s and John Wayne’s walking around...and there are not. The same can apply to modern artists. Beyoncé is a great singer...but she couldn’t hold a flame to many other modern singers. But she is among the most attractive women in the world...with a persona that drives her legend. I’m fine with people considering her among the great women singers of all time because you can’t ignore her success and sales.

It was more than his look though. Elvis was a stud no doubt...but it was his style, his voice...it was the entire package. He also had numerous hits. Certainly you can say that some singers had a better voice, but you can’t ignore the entire package. The same applies to many other iconic individuals through history. Yes, good marketing...but good marketing only gets someone so far...otherwise there would be thousands of Elvis Presley’s and John Wayne’s walking around...and there are not. The same can apply to modern artists. Beyoncé is a great singer...but she couldn’t hold a flame to many other modern singers. But she is among the most attractive women in the world...with a persona that drives her legend. I’m fine with people considering her among the great women singers of all time because you can’t ignore her success and sales.

I can go with this

I don't think Mick Jagger tops anyone's list of greatest singers

I don't think Jagger is even on anyone's list of greatest singers

But he wouldn't be Mick Jagger and the Stones wouldn't be the Stones if he sounded any other way

Last edited:
I can go with this

But he wouldn't be Mick Jagger and the Stones wouldn't be the Stones if he sounded any other wayone of the
One of my most hated bands is the stones. I like a few of their songs but for the most part I can't stand them. Aerosmith blows them away for that type of music.

Personal beliefs are not really part of the original post. I could bring up an actor like mel Gibson his racist comments on jews. It doesn't take away from the fact that he was a great action actor
To like John Wayne bc you saw his movies as a kid and found them emotionally resonant or whatever is fine
To lionize him years later after all of his unctuous views are known is most certainly a personal belief

and Mel Gibson is actually an actor - he was incredible in Year of Living Dangerously - he is also loathsome and does not warrant notice especially since most of his output is easily substituted by many other films in their genres

Why would you say she’s a great singer when she’s not? Especially when a more accurate description like ‘great performer’ is available?

and I’m not trying to shame your appreciation of Elvis’s package - just not my bag

Why would you say she’s a great singer when she’s not? Especially when a more accurate description like ‘great performer’ is available?

and I’m not trying to shame your appreciation of Elvis’s package - just not my bag
Lol I get it. You don’t have to like John Wayne.

I can go with this

But he wouldn't be Mick Jagger and the Stones wouldn't be the Stones if he sounded any other way

But would be Mick Jagger and would it be the Stones if most of their music was just covers? My issue with Elvis is that he gets a lot of credit, too much credit, for stealing music.

A metric ton COULD. But very few HAVE. He’s an iconic actor...easily among one of the most recognizable in history of media. Not many actors are so iconic that they essentially play themselves in a ton of hit movies...that’s pretty much the definition of charisma.

It’s ok to not like him as a person (albeit a dead person).

John Wayne is not an iconic actor, but he very much is an American western icon. There is a difference.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom