This should be fun - john wayne (1 Viewer)

What is his best movie

• Total voters
Guess my opinion is important and if you do not agree with it then it must suck being wrong.
No one even said anything about your silly ‘girl’ shaming post
But you are free to say why you like John Wayne and you can even add why you think it’s important to give him acclaim knowing how **** he was

But you are free to say why you like John Wayne and you can even add why you think it’s important to give him acclaim knowing how **** he was
John wayne, like most people had his take on things. You must also remember that he lived in the civil rights era. It was a different time. Not saying I would ever agree with him on that. I just liked the way he acted in that style of movies. Yes, there are better movies like young guns 1 &2, outlaw Josey Wales, and others. But you can't take away from what John did

John wayne, like most people had his take on things. You must also remember that he lived in the civil rights era. It was a different time. Not saying I would ever agree with him on that. I just liked the way he acted in that style of movies. Yes, there are better movies like young guns 1 &2, outlaw Josey Wales, and others. But you can't take away from what John did
Of course I can
He was an average talent buoyed by the star system that needed his sort of mythologizing
And obviously a much worse person - not a situationally questionable person - just an unvarnished *******

probably as bad as Charles Lindbergh - another person the culture felt a need to buttress and he repaid that attention by spewing hate

there is zero reason to laud those two or anyone like them - their detriments far outweigh anything if benefit they might have added

Nah, man. We're all asserting opinions for the most part. But it is your choice to get offended or not.
I am not offended at all. I am skimming through the thread during lunch. I just find it humorous when people take such strong stances in threads like this.

My post was an attempt to keep the thread light-hearted. I enjoyed the Jeff Bridges remake. I enjoyed and continue to enjoy John Wayne movies. My moral compass is not swayed because of an actor/actress/public personalities personal beliefs or actions. Sometimes I may not agree with them but that doesn't mean I go on rants about how they don't deserve accolades from their professional career.

I didn't care for the Kapernick storyline but do I think that there isn't racism still in today's society or did it stop me from watch the NFL?
I like Mel Gibson movies. Do I agree with his stance on the Jewish Fatih?
Would you believe that I have Marylin Manson songs on my Spotify playlists?
I don't care for Sean Penn at all. I think that he is full of it but damn do I love me some Spicoli.

It is entertainment and I treat it as such. Take Hollywood and Politics with a grain of salt and you will find a little less stress in your life.

It was more than his look though. Elvis was a stud no doubt...but it was his style, his voice...it was the entire package. He also had numerous hits. Certainly you can say that some singers had a better voice, but you can’t ignore the entire package. The same applies to many other iconic individuals through history. Yes, good marketing...but good marketing only gets someone so far...otherwise there would be thousands of Elvis Presley’s and John Wayne’s walking around...and there are not. The same can apply to modern artists. Beyoncé is a great singer...but she couldn’t hold a flame to many other modern singers. But she is among the most attractive women in the world...with a persona that drives her legend. I’m fine with people considering her among the great women singers of all time because you can’t ignore her success and sales.
Imo, the greatest compliment given to Elvis came from Eddie Murphy.

When he walked into a room it became silent. Everyone was paying attention to Elvis.

I am not offended at all. I am skimming through the thread during lunch. I just find it humorous when people take such strong stances in threads like this.

My post was an attempt to keep the thread light-hearted. I enjoyed the Jeff Bridges remake. I enjoyed and continue to enjoy John Wayne movies. My moral compass is not swayed because of an actor/actress/public personalities personal beliefs or actions. Sometimes I may not agree with them but that doesn't mean I go on rants about how they don't deserve accolades from their professional career.

I didn't care for the Kapernick storyline but do I think that there isn't racism still in today's society or did it stop me from watch the NFL?
I don't care for Sean Penn at all. I think that he is full of it but damn do I love me some Spicoli.

It is entertainment and I treat it as such. Take Hollywood and Politics with a grain of salt and you will find a little less stress in your life.
Great post.

I love Ted Nugents music. His political views and mine are polar opposites. I still turn him up to 11 :)

I get that and like I said made no comments until your (faux) umbrage
And tbc while I will stop consuming artist products for beliefs/actions, that bar is fairly high
I don’t agree with James woods or Clint Eastwood or any number of conservative leaning voices, but I still enjoy their work

John Wayne, Mel Gibson, Woody Allen, Kevin Spacey are wholly different than that - they are poisons who offer far more harm than benefit- and I see no issue pointing this out and saying ‘hey, instead of watching John Wayne shoot up injuns for the 1000th time, is there another movie from that time you might also enjoy’?

I have recently been watching a lot of YouTube videos, and amber heard and johnny depp keep coming up, especially some fans wanting amber fired because she is a liar. They say they won't watch aquaman 2 because of her. I personally couldn't care less, but I love aquaman

I get that and like I said made no comments until your (faux) umbrage
And tbc while I will stop consuming artist products for beliefs/actions, that bar is fairly high
I don’t agree with James woods or Clint Eastwood or any number of conservative leaning voices, but I still enjoy their work

John Wayne, Mel Gibson, Woody Allen, Kevin Spacey are wholly different than that - they are poisons who offer far more harm than benefit- and I see no issue pointing this out and saying ‘hey, instead of watching John Wayne shoot up injuns for the 1000th time, is there another movie from that time you might also enjoy’?

That is your personal preference and you have the right to change the channel 100% and no one would fault you for it.

But the thread is about giving acclaim to a mediocre talent who was a horrible human being
No reason to keep that light under a bushel, I don’t think

This thread is about

What is the greatest john wayne movie of all time.

Where did David Robins say "Let's discuss the merits of John Wayne's acting and his personal life?" This is like going into SSF thread about the Saints Super Bowl Victory and saying that we should not have liked watching Darren Sharper because he was a serial rapist.

Sometimes a shallow thread doesn't need to turn into the deep end of the pool.

This thread is about

Where did David Robins say "Let's discuss the merits of John Wayne's acting and his personal life?" This is like going into SSF thread about the Saints Super Bowl Victory and saying that we should not have liked watching Darren Sharper because he was a serial rapist.

Sometimes a shallow thread doesn't need to turn into the deep end of the pool.

since when is DR interested in having any discussions?? he usually just drops a turd on the EE and runs away :shrug:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom