This should be fun - john wayne (1 Viewer)

What is his best movie

• Total voters
I have recently been watching a lot of YouTube videos, and amber heard and johnny depp keep coming up, especially some fans wanting amber fired because she is a liar. They say they won't watch aquaman 2 because of her. I personally couldn't care less, but I love aquaman
If you're saying Jason Mamoa is hot, then I agree.

This thread is about

Where did David Robins say "Let's discuss the merits of John Wayne's acting and his personal life?" This is like going into SSF thread about the Saints Super Bowl Victory and saying that we should not have liked watching Darren Sharper because he was a serial rapist.

Sometimes a shallow thread doesn't need to turn into the deep end of the pool.
No but it is very much like going into a “what were Darren Sharper’s best plays” thread and pointing out the difficulty of finding DS acclaim without mentioning the serial rape
(Also in this analogy Sharper would have to play like kevin kaesviharn but people act like he was Sammy Knight)

the flip of your analogy would be a “hey let’s talk about the golden age of movies” thread and some jack*** (but very handsome) poster is all like ‘dumb thread bc John Wayne sucks’

It’s hard to draw a line between a person’s talent and their actions sometimes. I love listening to Rick James but I’d be a liar if I didn’t admit I feel uncomfortable praising the man’s music and overlooking the sociopath he became when he was addicted to sex and the crack pipe.

Toussaint Louverture led a slave army to victory against three global superpowers….yet he owned slaves himself before the revolution and tried to broker a deal to save himself and send the people back into slavery.

Perhaps we shouldn’t judge people too harshly outside their time/moment in history…but I can’t watch anything with JW in without seeing him as a dismal one dimensional actor and a right wing extremist. He was exceptional playing a one dimensional right wing extremist though….

One thing for which Wayne has to get credit is the depth of his bench. My top 5 list includes several that didn't make the OP's ballot, including one (Yellow Ribbon) that I don't think has been mentioned at all yet.

1. The Searchers
2. She Wore a Yellow Ribbon (My favorite Wayne line: "Picnic-ing? Picnic-ing, Miss Dandridge? Where, in St Louis?")
3. The Man Who Shot Liberty Vallence
4. The Quiet Man
5. Stagecoach

Can't believe the man who shot Liberty Valance wasn't part of the poll. It's arguably his best movie and greatest scene with Lee Marvin and Jimmy Stewart.
I just saw this movie. I was hoping for some of that John Ford scenery but this one is all about the story. It's got everything. Bullies, stagecoach robberies, drunk doctors and newspapermen, illiterate women, cactus rose, lawyers and politicians, unrequited love, gunfights, an autographed picture of Andy Devine.

Last edited:
I just saw this movie. I was hoping for some of that John Ford scenery but this one is all about the story. It's got everything. Bullies, stagecoach robberies, drunk doctors and newspapermen, illiterate women, cactus rose, lawyers and politicians, unrequited love, gunfights, an autographed picture of Andy Devine.
Damn Marsha talk about bump:) . I'm not a fan of Wayne after I learned
about his personal life. He was anti sematic and very racist. He was a true
bad arse in his movies though :)

Damn Marsha talk about bump:) . I'm not a fan of Wayne after I learned
about his personal life. He was anti sematic and very racist. He was a true
bad arse in his movies though :)
I'm not a particular Marion Morrison afficiando myself for his entire filmography (I do love the original True Grit, though) which is why I wasn't really all over this thread when it first appeared. As far as the mores and ethics of the Hollywood elite, well, are we grading on a curve?

By the way, I know recently there was a bump from a 2006 thread so this one was nuttin'.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom