This should end all the Reggie to wide receiver talk. (1 Viewer)

Nah, you're not him. For one, you use correct grammar and punctuation.:hihi:

I've never said he's a beast runner. I'm well aware that's his weakest area. All I think is you shouldn't limit the ways he can hurt a defense.

I'm not happy with mediocre play. :idunno: But, I don't want to see drastic changes occur when they don't need to.

Well, for one, he doesn't run many actual receiver routes. Can he do the 5 yard out? The skinny post? Drag n go? What about an option pattern where he choose to push inside or float upfield? I don't know if he can do those.

And then, like others have said, he'll be manned up with an actual corner who can jam him at the line. He's a running back, but does that mean he can beat a press coverage? Does he fully understand finding a soft spot in a zone and hunkering down for the ball? I don't know if he does.

But, I do know that the ways a defense has to plan for a speedy wide out that only plays wide out different from a speedy back that can split out wide and need to be covered like a wideout. If the Saints send out Bush and 3 WRs, does the DC need to send out the nickel or dime package? That'll effect what schemes they run and could present a match up problem, depending on what Bush and the other guys our offense do. Do they put their fastest linebacker on him? A safety? What if they don't even throw it to him, and it's a delayed handoff? Will they still maintain proper gap assignments with a man normally in the box spread out on Bush?

If Bush is a full time WR, we've just taken that decision out the DC's hands.

A defense can only respect what can actually hurt them. Reggie only at WR only hurts them less, as far as I'm concerned. Should he run some more real receiver routes? Heck yes, especially if it's the fly route(pretty sure he can do that one.) Should he come out on some plays, lined up as a receiver, and then the play starts and he's still lined up at receiver? Abso-friggin'-lutely he should.

But, you've gotta give him the carries too. Even if that's the weakest part of his game. Reggie Bush isn't Reggie Bush unless he's running the ball. It's the whole package that we drafted Reggie for. Rushing, receiving, and returning. I don't care which one he's best at, personally.

So long as he picks up yards in chunks and scores touchdowns.

:potd:

Eman,

Good response.

I think that we waste offensive plays giving Reggie the ball as a runner (unless it is a reverse). You do have a point about him solely lining up wide though. It does take a little surprise away from us. But really Bush is not a running threat so I am pretty sure teams just gear up for him in the passing game.

He may not break the huddle and head immediately to the slot position but I do think that he will probably motion there alot more out of the two-back set. I also think he is still going to catch alot of passes from the backfield.

If he is manned up with a corner, it still doesn't scare me. It means that there is one less corner on one of the wideouts (think Colston, Meachem, Moore, Shockey and Henderson with consistent single coverage) and when one of the outside guys keeps burning a team the defense will move the nickelback on Reggie back toward the outside. Then Reggie could tear it up in the middle with a safety or a linebacker on him. If there is a dime defense with multiple corners, we should be running it down their throat. PT will gash them for 5, 6, 7, 15+ yard runs and they will learn their lesson and remove one of their dime corners. Then we go back to taking advantage of the mismatches in the passing game.

If we limit turnovers and make a consistent effort to run the ball, this offense could be really special.

Like you wouldn't believe. It's been downright ridiculous. On another forum there's this guy who insists that Reg would be another Wes Welker if we stopped force feeding him the ball at running back and moved him permanently to wide out.

I've said over and over again, why would you limit the ways Reggie can hurt a defense? And he keeps spouting off the same song and dance.

Though I do believe he could be sent deep every once in a while, but that's just a novelty to keep defenses off balance.

Theres another forum?

Nola.com

Q: Reggie Bush seems like he's an average running back but would be a Pro Bowl wide receiver. Do the Saints have plans to use him at wide receiver? Kelvin, Shreveport La.

Plus, while Bush has good hands for a running back, his hands would only be considered average as a receiver.

Nola.com Jeff Duncan, The Times-Picayune

That was a perfect answer! Any question?

Yes, why do you think JD says that Reggie's hands would be considered only average? If you can catch, you can catch, RB or WR. To me, Reggie's got great hands.

Theres another forum?

Well, I wouldn't really call it a forum.

http://www.nola.com/forums/saints/index.ssf

It's format is kind of like Twitter, but you can post more characters, and there's twice as many idiots and trolls.:hihi:

Yes, why do you think JD says that Reggie's hands would be considered only average? If you can catch, you can catch, RB or WR. To me, Reggie's got great hands.

Yeah, that's the only thing Duncan said that I don't agree with. One of my favorite plays in Reg's career was a middle screen against the Browns that Brees threw too high. So Bush just snags the thing over his head with one hand and runs up field.

Nobody really talks about it much, probably cuz it was only a 7 yard gain or so.

Eman,

Good response.

I think that we waste offensive plays giving Reggie the ball as a runner (unless it is a reverse). You do have a point about him solely lining up wide though. It does take a little surprise away from us. But really Bush is not a running threat so I am pretty sure teams just gear up for him in the passing game.

He may not break the huddle and head immediately to the slot position but I do think that he will probably motion there alot more out of the two-back set. I also think he is still going to catch alot of passes from the backfield.

If he is manned up with a corner, it still doesn't scare me. It means that there is one less corner on one of the wideouts (think Colston, Meachem, Moore, Shockey and Henderson with consistent single coverage) and when one of the outside guys keeps burning a team the defense will move the nickelback on Reggie back toward the outside. Then Reggie could tear it up in the middle with a safety or a linebacker on him. If there is a dime defense with multiple corners, we should be running it down their throat. PT will gash them for 5, 6, 7, 15+ yard runs and they will learn their lesson and remove one of their dime corners. Then we go back to taking advantage of the mismatches in the passing game.

If we limit turnovers and make a consistent effort to run the ball, this offense could be really special.

The thing is, I believe we can do all those things you just said while still giving Reggie the ball on regular handoffs. Unless he fumbles, the worst Reggie has done lately, is a 4 yard loss or so. And often those losses come when the line breaks down and Reg needs to juke defenders a split second after he gets the handoff, and hitting a hole becomes impossible as defenders hit them first. He isn't the pound it up the middle guy, but one or two runs between the tackles shouldn't hurt.

Best case scenario is he gashes them and has 40 yards in a cloud of FieldTurf grains like he did vs. Atlanta. At worst he runs into a defensive lineman's face and is flattened for a two yard loss. And though he gets heavily criticized for not giving effort, he's one of the most money players at the goalline, that don't rely on bulldozing in, I've ever seen. So goalline situations should definetly be times when you hand Bush the ball.

Since neither of us will give nor take on this, let's just call it a draw, eh?:9:

And without a doubt, this offense can and will make defenses tremble like the clef. Oh wait, that's treble... Whatever, you get the point.:hihi:

Average Hands? For a guy to have the second most catches in NFL history in his first two years, I wouldn't say they are average. Coming into the league he was considered as one of the best when it came to receiving the football.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom