This team was almost totally rebuilt in 3 offseasons (1 Viewer)

RetroMcBananaFace

AKA: retrobanana
Reaction score
While we were sitting around whining about not going to the playoffs and griping and getting impatient, they rebuilt this team nearly from the ground up in a span of only three years, and managed to be relatively competitive while doing it. 7-9 seasons are no fun, but 2-14 seasons are much worse.

Count the players from the 2014 roster that are also present on the current roster.

I'll help. There are 9 - Brees, Ingram, Hill, Armstead, Strief, Kelemete, Jordan, Vaccaro and Morstead. 10 if you count Bush, which I don't, because he left and came back.

That's it. 10 players that were present at the end of the 2014 season, which in retrospect appears to be where the rebuild began in earnest.

Only time will tell of course, we all thought the team had a bright future after the 2013 season but that roster unexpectedly fell apart. But this bunch seems like it has a more solid foundation.

And we are so young we could really give Drew 2 to retire with. Need to draft Darnold, Allen, Rosen, or Mayfield though in the first. No questions asked, period, needs to be done. It is crunch time and all four of these could benefit enormously a few years under Drew Brees. Who Dat!! After that depth at Wr, OL, LB, and a DL.
This team is set up for years to come.

Let me ask you this - how many players from 2014 do the patriots still have?

I don't know if it's a complete rebuild, or just the Not For Long effect here.

And we are so young we could really give Drew 2 to retire with. Need to draft Darnold, Allen, Rosen, or Mayfield though in the first. No questions asked, period, needs to be done. It is crunch time and all four of these could benefit enormously a few years under Drew Brees. Who Dat!! After that depth at Wr, OL, LB, and a DL.
This team is set up for years to come.

Personally, I think Trace McSorley after a couple years with Drew would be an incredible leader.

Two great drafts in a row is a good thing.

And our suffering never once hit Cleveland Browns-level depths. Three straight years of 7-9 were frustrating, but it's a testament to Brees and Payton's steadfastness that we never did anything crazy like going 3-13 during that span. Combined with a better cap situation, impressive draft classes, and coaching staff changes, we're in a good position moving forward. Here's the important part: we're not totally there yet. We're playing a lot better right now, but we still have room to grow. Our young players are going to continue to improve, and we've still got a piece or two to add in the coming offseason(s). With relative health, the sky is the limit.

And we did it mostly through the draft. A few FA pick-ups like Okafor, Klein, Robertson, etc... But no huge contracts for marquee names. I'm no cap-ologist, but I'm pretty sure we're in a much better shape cap-wise than we were in '14. Hats off to Loomis and Payton for coming up with a good plan and sticking with it.

The steady climb out of Salary Cap Hades hasn't hurt either. A lot of big name under-performers were making things really rough both on and off the field.

The new young blood has come in with talent and a desire to prove their worth. This addition of youthful exuberance and effective coaching is making for a winning atmosphere around here.
:very_happy:

New Orleans has the 2nd youngest DEF behind only Cleveland. Most of our talent has 2-3 years still under contract because of this. This year and next are our windows to succeed.

Only time will tell of course, we all thought the team had a bright future after the 2013 season but that roster unexpectedly fell apart. But this bunch seems like it has a more solid foundation.

My only quibble with any of this post, or any of the other attaboy-Payton/Loomis posts is that it assumes that this team ran into a 3 year ditch through some act of God.

Credit Loomis and Payton for getting us out of the ditch, but they're the ones that drove us into the ditch in the first place.

But yes, it's nice to see young talent on the roster. Very encouraging.

My only quibble with any of this post, or any of the other attaboy-Payton/Loomis posts is that it assumes that this team ran into a 3 year ditch through some act of God.

Credit Loomis and Payton for getting us out of the ditch, but they're the ones that drove us into the ditch in the first place.

But yes, it's nice to see young talent on the roster. Very encouraging.
The interesting thing is that most coaches/quarterbacks/systems don't get the opportunity to work through that sort of failure.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom