This weeks officiating crew is ... Ed "Gun Show" Hochuli (1 Viewer)

can someone post a link the AP highlight in question? im having trouble remembering it

It probably isn't on any highlight reel, since it wasn't a scoring play, nor was it considered a very controversial call (except to some Saints fans:covermyeyes:).

You can review my waaaayy too detailed explanation of why the call was too close to overturn by looking at this post with several still photos. At the time, I didn't have any way to edit and post a video, but I might be able to do it now. If I can, I will follow up in this thread.

EdHochuliMonster.jpg

WWEHD?

http://www.whatwouldedhochulido.com/

I'm truly amazed at how many in here seem to forget how much he screwed up... But just like another poster in here said / every Ref does make some bad calls, but even when he himself is made aware of a bad call and doesnt acknowedge it, in my eyes that says a whole lot about that individual. Ed really ticked me off last season and other than blantantly making some calls that go our way during this game, then there's no changing my mind about what an idiot he is.

I'm truly amazed at how many in here seem to forget how much he screwed up... But just like another poster in here said / every Ref does make some bad calls, but even when he himself is made aware of a bad call and doesnt acknowedge it

If you're referring to bad calls against the Saints, I'm pretty sure it's due to his employer, not Ed personally. So I honestly wouldn't hold that against him. He acknowledged very clearly how much he screwed up in the SD/Den game, and the NFL came down hard on him and told him never to respond/apologize to fans again. If your employer gives you that order, you pretty much shut off all acknowledgment from there out I would imagine.

http://thezoneblitz.blogspot.com/2008/09/nfl-to-ed-hochuli-stop-e-mailing-fans.html

Thank you! Hochuli is one of the best in the biz. I like his officiating and his explanation of
penalties.

jaycutler_fumble.jpg

Ed Hochuli (Week 2, 2008): (Flexes) The incomplete pass ruling is not reviewable as the play was blown dead (Flexes). Second down Denver (Flexes/cost Chargers critical game).

bush_2.jpg

Ed Hochuli (Week 4, 2009): (Flexes) The fumble ruling is not reviewable as you cannot challenge penalties (Flexes). First down Minnesota (Flexes/costs Saints critical game).

I'm truly amazed at how many in here seem to forget how much he screwed up... But just like another poster in here said / every Ref does make some bad calls, but even when he himself is made aware of a bad call and doesnt acknowedge it, in my eyes that says a whole lot about that individual. Ed really ticked me off last season and other than blantantly making some calls that go our way during this game, then there's no changing my mind about what an idiot he is.

Its time for some make up calls by Big Ed to make things square with you!

So if I'm on the Giants defense, I tackle Reggie Bush by the face mask on every single play he gets the ball. You're bound to get away with a few before it gets called.

The AD no-call was inexcusable. That was a fumble. How can you officiate for years and suddenly lose the ability to define such a basic play.

If a player loses the ball and it's clear it was moving and he wasn't controlling it before hitting the ground, then it's a fumble. It's almost as if his confidence was shaken and he was suffering paralysis by analysis.

Don't get me started on the Bush facemask no-call...

I'm glad you brought up the Bush facemask no-call. That sits in my craw along with the AP fumble no-call. I am not looking forward to seeing Hochules at the game.

jaycutler_fumble.jpg

Ed Hochuli (Week 2, 2008): (Flexes) The incomplete pass ruling is not reviewable as the play was blown dead (Flexes). Second down Denver (Flexes/cost Chargers critical game).

bush_2.jpg

Ed Hochuli (Week 4, 2009): (Flexes) The fumble ruling is not reviewable as you cannot challenge penalties (Flexes). First down Minnesota (Flexes/costs Saints critical game).

Yep...it's all Hochuli's fault. It has nothing to do with the Drew Brees sack/fumble, or the blocked FG return for a TD, or the missed go-ahead FG with under two minutes to go, nor the (obvious) pass interference penalty that put the Vikings in FG range with the score tied at the end of the game. No...none of that cost the Saints the game...it was all Hochuli.

The fumble ruling was reviewed, and it indicated not enough evidence to overturn. Oh, and on the play you pictured above, Hochuli was behind Bush in his proper position as the Referee...in the backfield. As much as I respect Hochuli's super-powers :hihi:, I don't think they include x-ray vision. Notice how the entire face-mask grab takes place below Bush's shoulders. There is NO WAY anyone standing behind Bush could have seen the foul. His view would be blocked by Bush's body! Should one of the other officials have seen the face mask? Sure...it would have been nice for us. Unfortunately, if you watch enough games, you know that face-mask fouls are sometimes missed. There are seven officials on the field at any time, each with specific responsibilities and areas that they are supposed to be looking at. At any given moment their view can be obscured by other players flying around, or they are looking away for a moment because they see something else they need to look at, or any other number of things can happen. Officiating will never be prefect, and that's just part of the game. A missed face mask call does NOT indicate incompetence.

I wish I had video on that Peterson explanation. I'm certain that at one point he said almost verbatim "even though that's the definition of the fumble, because the runner's hand was beneath", um, so you admit it fits the definiton, but change it anyway? Major whiskey foxtrot tango moment.

Don't forget, though it wasn't him, it was part of this crew that missed the MAJOR facemask before Bush's fumble. We should have had 15 yards and the ball, but missing that changed the game more than the AD fumble, IMHO.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom