This week's Sports Illustrated re: Los Angeles{thread from 2006} (1 Viewer)

atceagle

BRING THE WOOD!
Reaction score
""If we don't get an agreement in the next couple of months, which is extremely unlikely, the NFL won't have a chance in Los Angeles for the next 20 years."-David Israel, one of three state-appointed members of the LA Coliseum Commision.

"There's no logical team to move...None of the plausible candidates-the Jags, Saints, and Vikings-are for sale, nor are they interested in moving right now, according to insiders.

That was the direct quote from that guy. This is from this week's Sports Illustrated. It is in the "Inside the NFL" section and written under Peter King's Corner.

I hope to God this true. I know their are alot of other factors but I would sleep a little easier if it is valid and true.

What will the media talk about now without being able to speculate what team of the week will be moving to L.A.

Well, Toronto is also out, according to the Toronto Star, the owner of Rogers Communications said there is no interest to get an NFL team up here. There was some talk about Rogers (blue jays) and Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment (Maple Leafs & Raptors) to join together to get an NFL franchise.

From today's "Truth and Rumors" on si.com:

Even as it said it was not closing the door on the NFL, the Coliseum Commission took steps Wednesday to scale back the money spent in that pursuit. In its regular monthly meeting, the commission dropped its contracts with outside legal counsel and $10,000-per-month lobbyist Richard Lichtenstein, who were retained for the last three years to pursue a potential NFL deal.
-- Los Angeles Times

Link

This news makes me happy. LA just doesn't a team and you have to wonder how they would treat a team that loses as much as the Saints have in the past.

This news makes me happy. LA just doesn't a team and you have to wonder how they would treat a team that loses as much as the Saints have in the past.

...True story. Los Angeles is a town bursting at the seams with front-running fans who won't stick with a team that's in a down-cycle (as the Saints have been for most of the last 40 years.) L.A. is also a transient town where everyone comes here with pre-existing allegiances to their hometown teams (like yours truly) and has failed to support the Raiders or the Rams consistently in the past- except for when they were in playoff contention, of course. I can't imagine why the NFL is so hell-bent on having a team here- the television market is already a cash cow with everybody in town watching games on TV, which is where the advertising $$ is. Move on, Mr. Goodell, and don't get stuck on the L.A. thing like your predecessor- who otherwise was a fine commissioner- did.

I have been saying this for a year "the Saints are not moving to LA" these people out here can't even decided where they want to put the team. theres talk know that the tea won't even be in the LA metro area but possibly in an out lying area such as the inland empire (riverside, san bernardino) because the land is cheaper and more plentiful. if thats the case there is no way the team will be called the LA something or another this area won't let it happen, heck the county of san bernardino was so mad at tv media over them trying to tie california speedway in fontana to LA that they sponsor a busch race just so their name is on the tv. we may still have to worry about san antonio but not LA.

...True story. Los Angeles is a town bursting at the seams with front-running fans who won't stick with a team that's in a down-cycle (as the Saints have been for most of the last 40 years.) L.A. is also a transient town where everyone comes here with pre-existing allegiances to their hometown teams (like yours truly) and has failed to support the Raiders or the Rams consistently in the past- except for when they were in playoff contention, of course. I can't imagine why the NFL is so hell-bent on having a team here- the television market is already a cash cow with everybody in town watching games on TV, which is where the advertising $$ is. Move on, Mr. Goodell, and don't get stuck on the L.A. thing like your predecessor- who otherwise was a fine commissioner- did.
Man you must have a crystal ball.

Man you must have a crystal ball.

I have to say, this is the first time i’ve seen a post of mine quoted 13 years after i posted it... i no longer live in Los Angeles, but my feelings about pro football in L.A. are unchanged.. both the Rams are Chargers have solid teams at the moment, but it’s gonna be real hard to fill that shiny new $3 billion stadium once the teams start slumping in a few years.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom