This whole Deuce thing (1 Viewer)

The Mongoose

Porkers?
Reaction score
Okay, let me say this to you reasonable folk.

I don't really like this Deuce thing. Of course I love Deuce. I almost teared up when they introduced him for the last time last year. I am a Deuce fanboy.

But this signing is strange. It's a possible distraction when we need no distractions. I was totally confident that we were going to smash the cardinals before; now I'm still confident but some doubt has entered the equation.

There's no way Deuce can play. I doubt he'll even be in uniform. He hasn't practiced all year; they aren't going to throw him into the most important game of the season. One miscommunication on a pass protection and Drew fumbles or gets mangled. Etc.

So that leaves us with a feel good/fan motivation tool dynamic. But that doesn't work either, really. Dude hasn't been with the team all year. People like Darren Sharper, Mike Bell, Jabari Greer, etc don't even know Deuce. So suddenly this interloper, this guy who wasn't with the squad all year, this guy from outside the family is going to be getting all this hoopla from the fans? It just has the potential to cause a distraction. It might not actually do so, but why take the chance?

Fact is, as much as it pains me to say it, Deuce is an outsider now. He's not part of this team. I always suspected that Payton didn't like Deuce very much - he was never his guy, he hated the fact that the fans yelled "DEEEUUUCCE" at the goal line, and he didn't like the overall power Deuce had with the fan base. You could see this when Deuce came off the field after a touchdown last year and Payton went to give him a huge phony hug after emasculating Deuce all year -- Deuce looked like he wanted nothing to do with that hug.

So why bring him around now? It doesn't make any sense. Why introduce anything that could be a possible distraction at the most important hour?

Repeating, I love Deuce. This preseason, I was wishing that he was still around and that they would give him another look.

But they didn't then, so I have no idea why they would do it the day before our most important game of the year.

They've already said he would be inactive.

The locker room loves Deuce.

They had a spare roster spot.

They are totally prepared to stomp the Cardinals. The Dome is going to go nuts. The 12th man just added men 13, 14, and 15. Payton's been holding this in his back pocket, knowing that 6 weeks is a long time for fans to wait for a game.

Tom Benson has his coin. Brees has Bacchus. Deuce gets his ring.

It's all coming together.

i dunno, the deuce signing washed away my worry and just felt right. IF someone got hurt in practice and can't play sunday. Why not sign someone that is fairly familiar with our playbook. I doubt he does more than block for Brees or take a couple short yardage/goal line hand offs. Pierre is hurt so if he does go down, Deuce could possibly spell Hamilton and Bell for a couple of plays. Plus he has to be fresh, and I really don't think the saints would have signed him if they didn't feel he was in playing shape. That is if they plan to put him on the 45 man roster. So I will go ahead and trust our FO.

I really think that our locker room has great leadership and won't be distracted by this signing.

Okay, let me say this to you reasonable folk.

I don't really like this Deuce thing. Of course I love Deuce. I almost teared up when they introduced him for the last time last year. I am a Deuce fanboy.

But this signing is strange. It's a possible distraction when we need no distractions. I was totally confident that we were going to smash the cardinals before; now I'm still confident but some doubt has entered the equation.

There's no way Deuce can play. I doubt he'll even be in uniform. He hasn't practiced all year; they aren't going to throw him into the most important game of the season. One miscommunication on a pass protection and Drew fumbles or gets mangled. Etc.

So that leaves us with a feel good/fan motivation tool dynamic. But that doesn't work either, really. Dude hasn't been with the team all year. People like Darren Sharper, Mike Bell, Jabari Greer, etc don't even know Deuce. So suddenly this interloper, this guy who wasn't with the squad all year, this guy from outside the family is going to be getting all this hoopla from the fans? It just has the potential to cause a distraction. It might not actually do so, but why take the chance?

Fact is, as much as it pains me to say it, Deuce is an outsider now. He's not part of this team. I always suspected that Payton didn't like Deuce very much - he was never his guy, he hated the fact that the fans yelled "DEEEUUUCCE" at the goal line, and he didn't like the overall power Deuce had with the fan base. You could see this when Deuce came off the field after a touchdown last year and Payton went to give him a huge phony hug after emasculating Deuce all year -- Deuce looked like he wanted nothing to do with that hug.

So why bring him around now? It doesn't make any sense. Why introduce anything that could be a possible distraction at the most important hour?

Repeating, I love Deuce. This preseason, I was wishing that he was still around and that they would give him another look.

But they didn't then, so I have no idea why they would do it the day before our most important game of the year.

I knew this was coming from you. When I read that Deuce was back and was reading comments on this board, I was thinking, the Goose isn't gonna like this. I kinda sorta agree with you though. I still want to hear the Dome come unhinged when Deuce is announced though.

They've already said he would be inactive.

The locker room loves Deuce.

They had a spare roster spot.

They are totally prepared to stomp the Cardinals. The Dome is going to go nuts. The 12th man just added men 13, 14, and 15. Payton's been holding this in his back pocket, knowing that 6 weeks is a long time for fans to wait for a game.

Tom Benson has his coin. Brees has Bacchus. Deuce gets his ring.

It's all coming together.

I agree that there is no way he'll be active. But the reports that he will be inactive have been taken down. Jeff Duncan reports that it's not certain yet.

But I'd bet the farm he will be inactive.

I just don't think we needed this. Or a coin. So why take the chance? Whatever, I'll scream for Deuce like a maniac. I'm just worried about the majority of idiots who will be looking for Deuce at the goal line, getting disappointed because they don't know he's inactive.

We need 70,000 focused voices. We don't need 30,000 morons disgruntled and less focused because they are expecting 2006 vs Philly.

I knew this was coming from you. When I read that Deuce was back and was reading comments on this board, I was thinking, the Goose isn't gonna like this. I kinda sorta agree with you though. I still want to hear the Dome come unhinged when Deuce is announced though.

You've played on teams before. How would you like it if after a great year of accomplishment your team is getting ready for its biggest game and they bring in some dude who wasn't with you all year?

Even if you didn't have a problem with it, it would be weird.

I agree that there is no way he'll be active. But the reports that he will be inactive have been taken down. Jeff Duncan reports that it's not certain yet.

But I'd bet the farm he will be inactive.

I just don't think we needed this. Or a coin. So why take the chance? Whatever, I'll scream for Deuce like a maniac. I'm just worried about the majority of idiots who will be looking for Deuce at the goal line, getting disappointed because they don't know he's inactive.

We need 70,000 focused voices. We don't need 30,000 morons disgruntled and less focused because they are expecting 2006 vs Philly.

It was reported that Payton showed the team Deuce highlights, including the Philly playoff game. Deuce showed how to FINISH then. That's what we need now. Once that Dome explodes, no one is going to put it back in the box.

Sean: Tom, is there any way we can pipe some noise in through the speakers on Saturday to really rattle that offense?

Benson: Sorry, Sean, against league rules. Its crowd or nothing.

Sean: Hmm, I just wish there was some way we could get that crowd even louder

Benson: Nope. Playoff game, greatest season in team history. That Dome won't get any louder short of Deuce himself leading the charge.

Sean: ....

Hold faith, the world is about to quake it self into pieces. Tomorrow in N.O. they will be reporting tremmors.

Wouldn't really be a Saints game if Gooser didn't post about his nervousness.

Goose I think I'm equally as paranoid as you when it comes to the game tomorrow (well maybe not), but I don't think this will negatively impact the players at all. If anything it's just a boost to a dome crowd that will already be in a frenzy by 3:30 tomorrow. Just keep eating cheese and chill.. :9:

It will be a good thing. Part of me wants to believe that this has been in the cards all along. We will see.

Wouldn't really be a Saints game if Gooser didn't post about his nervousness.

True dat. My nerves are shot. I'm like an old ginny woman.

It's just, I've been wanting this so bad for so long. I've been burned in every way imaginable, with very few rays of light now and then.

You know.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom