This would be ok in the draft (1 Viewer)

David Robbins

Ole Miss Rocks!
Reaction score
Both the DT's will be gone by the time we pick. We have upgraded the LB'er corps, and the defensive line isn't really that bad, especially if we got Trevor Laws in the 2nd. So, a good trade for the Saints would go like this:

Swap 1st round picks with the Eagles and the Eagles give us Lito Sheppard.
With the 19th pick, we take Antoine Cason.

CB's:

1. Mike McKenzie
2. Lito Sheppard
3. Randall Gay
4. Antoine Cason
5. Jason Craft

We could sit Cason and let him get some nickle and dime for a year. McKenzie is not getting any younger. We would already have his replacement then.

2nd Round pick: DT, Trevor Laws

Now, our defense would look like this:

DE: Will Smith, Charles Grant, Bobby McCray, Josh Cooper
DT: Hollis Thomas, Trevor Laws, Brian Young, Kendrick Clancy, McKinley Boykin/Antwan Lake
OLB: Scott Fujita, Dan Morgan, Scott Shanle, Mark Simeneau, Troy Evans/Takeo Spikes
MLB: Jonathan Vilma, Mitchell
CB: Mike McKenzie, Lito Sheppard, Randall Gay, Antoine Cason, Jason Craft
S: Roman Harper, Josh Bullocks, Kevin Kaesviharn, Chris Reis

This is a much improved defense.

Yeah our D would be better. while i am about 90% sure (gut instinct) that we will sign Spikes, we dont know how much the eagles want for Sheppard. It would probably cost us our second, which then we couldn't draft trevor laws

Yeah our D would be better. while i am about 90% sure (gut instinct) that we will sign Spikes, we dont know how much the eagles want for Sheppard. It would probably cost us our second, which then we couldn't draft trevor laws

Swapping first round picks is the equivalent of giving them a second round pick.

I think we should stop taking Defensive players the Eagles don't want, including Spikes.

I dont see us cutting jason david either. open space is rumored to be retiring.

I don't think the eagles will be interested in trading up, I think they would prefer to get an extra pick (even a second rounder) for Lito, My reasoning has been explained in other threads about the same topic.

Lito will require a new contract and the line is getting longer (with Evans, Colston, Smith and Vilma, plus Morgan if hopefully he has a good season with us).

In case the saints were able to make the trade, I will prefer for the saints to grab Brendan Albert, who I think he will be pro-bowler for years to come. I think he can have the same impact as Hutchinson on the left side (along Brown).

If we trade for Lito Sheppard, we won't be picking a CB with the first pick.

They "say" MM will be healthy for the start of the season, they obviously paid a good bit of money to Randall Gay and Jason David, and they just drafted Usama Young in the 3rd round last year and supposedly like him.

I'm not saying we shouldn't do that, I'm just saying they won't.

They'll focuse on other positions, or be given even more of an excuse to go BPA (read = RB, WR, TE, OT, etc).

So we're cutting Usama Young? :covri:

I concur...:covri: No way Young is cut and Craft was not noticeably better than Young last year.

Also, IMO, Craft would get cut before David.

Well at least you saw us trading rather than simply trading down - a supposition which drives me nuts.

On that subject can anyone tell me which elite blue-chip player is going to be available when we pick 10th, who is going to attract a massive tradeup price?
McFadden will be gone, Ryan will probably be gone, The Longs will be long gone, Dorsey and Ellis will probably be gone too. And if either is available then we'll take probably take them.
Who's left who is worth two first round picks or even a 1st and high-second round pick?
Mendenhall? He's good but so is Jonathan Stewart and Felix Jones - both of whom will almost certainly be available.
And let's face it - even if a superstar like McFadden defies all predictions and drops put of the first five, then teams willing to pay the price for trading up will probably get nervous by pick 6 or 7 and do a deal with a team higher up than us.

Seriously guys, other team's GMs aren't paid to make the Saints rich so let's not kid ourselves we're likely to get a blockbuster deal.

Last edited:
19- Kenny Phillips

Then

Lito, Gay, McKenzie, Craft, Young, Harper, Phillips

We still need someone to push J.B. I'm not comfortable with him going in as our starting S for another season. He needs to know that he is on the HOT seat.

I'm not against the trade with Philly, if it'll get us Kenny Phillips.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom