This years cap vs next year's proposed cap? (1 Viewer)

It's not good. Enjoy the dominance we have now - and it really is dominant. There's no reason we can't win the big one. We punked Tom Brady like a toy. We made Atlanta fans snivel and cry for a new owner.

"Saints now counting more than $276 million on the books for 2021, when the salary cap is projected to be $175 million. That’s going to result in many, many difficult decisions for New Orleans."

It's not good. Enjoy the dominance we have now - and it really is dominant. There's no reason we can't win the big one. We punked Tom Brady like a toy. We made Atlanta fans snivel and cry for a new owner.

"Saints now counting more than $276 million on the books for 2021, when the salary cap is projected to be $175 million. That’s going to result in many, many difficult decisions for New Orleans."
but it's going to cost every team difficult decisions
i have no idea how teams are going to manage (or if the owners just say 'screw it' and go back to normalish)
will teams do massive salary restructurings across the board? will PA allow that?
who knows?

• 1Like
Reactions: LoE
I'm not a cap expert but when i look at it, i have no idea how we're going to shed that much cap and try to keep the ones we want. Going to be one of mickey's most challenging offseasons IMO.

Yeah there is a lot of mystery surrounding next years cap. There are going to be some cap casualties for sure get used to that thought. I think we will be adding another dead year or 2 to Drew contract to move money down the road, if he retires next year we will carry 23mil in dead cap space.

They could move 50mil down the road by using contract extensions/adding void years on various players.

I just hope the cap is higher than 175 million with new contract from sports betting and such, around 200 million would be great.

But yeah, let our great GM focus on that, my brain hurts to think about it!

Loomis gets paid the big bucks to worry about stuff like that, I just worry about making space on my mantel for that replica 2nd Super Bowl trophy...

In some ways, leaguewide cap hell might be good for the Saints.

If the numbers are too bad, then I could see the NFL and the NFLPA agreeing to things like amnesties and other extraordinary remedies that would apply across the board but could end up being more beneficial to teams like the Saints that were going to be in cap trouble regardless.

I believe this is the bare minimum projection and the actual figure is likely to be higher. I wouldn't be surprised if the league falls back on similar rules they had for the "capless" year (2010?) if there's a big enough drop for next year.

I'm not a cap expert but when i look at it, i have no idea how we're going to shed that much cap and try to keep the ones we want. Going to be one of mickey's most challenging offseasons IMO.

It's really not as daunting as it sounds. Nick Underhill has a really good article on it

Basically you would have to convert a Jordan, Armstead and Michael Thomas salaries for 2021 to signing bonuses and add voidable years.

Do alot of restructuring.

I think most of the team stays intact but we may lose a couple big names. Michael Thomas being the biggest.

The cap will not dip below this year's cap.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom