Thomas Edison Job Interview (1 Viewer)

Optimus Prime

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Interesting

To all the business owners or hiring managers here does this make sense or is it left field?
============================================================

Few people in American history have the reputation of Thomas Edison, a prolific inventor and entrepreneur, whose work still widely impacts most people around the world to this day. What were the secrets to his incredible success? It turns out one of them was a unique requirement he had for prospective new employees that they eat a bowl of soup in front of him before they’d be considered for a job.

Edison liked to be personally involved in choosing staff. When new positions opened for research jobs at his labs he was there to give the candidates a thorough vetting. He came to find a favorite method for finding the right people was by offering them a bowl of soup and then watching them eat it.

The reason for this soup test was that the famous inventor wanted to see if the applicants added salt and pepper before tasting what was in their bowl, or if they waited until they tasted it before proceeding with the seasoning. Edison immediately rejected the premature seasoners, as he reasoned he didn’t want employees who relied on assumptions.

In his opinion, those who were content to abide by preconceived notions had no place in his business because the absence of curiosity and willingness to ask questions were antithetical to innovation........

For Edison, the best employees were those whose second nature it was to be consistent with how they approached life. If they showed impatience or a rush to judgment in eating, imagine the damage they could potentially cause with the many projects they would be entrusted to develop and bring to fruition...........

Last edited:
I have heard this exact anecdote about Wrigley, Iacocca, execs on Madison Avenue and now Edison.

He predates the others and this is in an actual article so I guess he wins.

I also have heard that he holds all these patents for products that those he made eat soup actually invented.

Edison defacto stole some of Telsa's inventions, and really screwed him over money wise.

I wonder how many other things Edison is credited with that he stole or bullied out of other people.

I am no Edison fan.

In school I don’t think I heard Tesla’s name more than a couple times

He’s really been getting a second look and more acclaim the last 5-10 years or so

And Edison’s reputation has taken a hit over that same timeframe

In school I don’t think I heard Tesla’s name more than a couple times

He’s really been getting a second look and more acclaim the last 5-10 years or so

And Edison’s reputation has taken a hit over that same timeframe
Are you trying to teach Critical Inventor Theory?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom