Thomas expected to miss 'multiple weeks' (1 Viewer)

No IR announcement?
There was a Triplett article yesterday (sorry, no link) that said Thomas was trying to talk the team out of putting him on IR. We shall see...

Wow, you're a long time poster and seem to have forget that SP requires his WRs to block and some do more of that than others. TQS seems to be in that role currently. It might not be a permanent thing, but some of his biggest plays last year and in the first game this year were key blocks that he threw. He pancaked Tak McKinley on Thanksgiving Day last year and he had a huge block in Sunday's game that was even highlighted during the broadcast.

I'm tired of people being so dogmatic with this argument. No WR makes the team to block only. There's been years where our 3rd, 4th and 5th WRs have been very pedestrian, yes. And Payton does require WRs to block downfield in his play designs, true. But no WR has ever made the Saints purely as a blocking WR. Those guys that have been lauded has "great blocking WRs" get replaced as soon as Payton finds a replacement. The expectation is that these WRs turn the corner with their receiving ability and just be on field paper weights. When it doesn't happen, they're gone.

Its not a thing. Blocking is part of the job, it's not THE job...that's still getting open and catching the ball.

Similarly, there have been some RBs that were great at staying in and blocking and picking up blitzes, but if they weren't good at actually RB they don't last. Running backs and Wide Receivers that only block are not real things...they're fan rationalizations.

The WR corps behind Thomss wasn't overhauled because they weren't blocking well.

I'm tired of people being so dogmatic with this argument. No WR makes the team to block only. There's been years where our 3rd, 4th and 5th WRs have been very pedestrian, yes. And Payton does require WRs to block downfield in his play designs, true. But no WR has ever made the Saints purely as a blocking WR. Those guys that have been lauded has "great blocking WRs" get replaced as soon as Payton finds a replacement. The expectation is that these WRs turn the corner with their receiving ability and just be on field paper weights. When it doesn't happen, they're gone.

Its not a thing. Blocking is part of the job, it's not THE job...that's still getting open and catching the ball.

Similarly, there have been some RBs that were great at staying in and blocking and picking up blitzes, but if they weren't good at actually RB they don't last. Running backs and Wide Receivers that only block are not real things...they're fan rationalizations.

The WR corps behind Thomss wasn't overhauled because they weren't blocking well.

I never said it was his only job. Y'all are getting all bent out of shape for nothing. He has 19 receptions in his last 13 games. I'm not going to go back and watch every play, but I'd be willing to bet that he has more blocks than receptions during that time. I know of at least 2 for a fact.

Maybe I'm being nitpicky but our local sports media is very very frustrating at times. Today, Payton was asked by a veteran local beat reporter about Michael Thomas injury, whether or not he would be going on IR for 3 weeks and Payton responds, "Not going to talk about injuries."

Now come on, since when does Payton EVER talk about non-season ending injuries to star players? Yall know better than to ask a stupid question like that.

I blame the injury on Murray. Maybe someone that knows the RB spot better than me can explain why he didn’t cut left for the end zone at 0:17 instead of trying to truck the Bucs player?? Seems like he could’ve had an easy TD but instead plays the 1 on 1 game with the defender and gets Thomas hurt. Secondly I blame Payton for not just kneeling knowing our misfortune with freak injuries, not as much as I blame Murray though
View attachment trim.13C08FC4-E316-4C28-8081-134B12FD1F00.MOV
Running backs at a very early age are taught to follow their blocks. From the way CGM is blocking, it looks like the play is designed to cut it up inside. Both the tackle and the TE on the play block their men to the inside with CGM sealing the defending to the outside. Murray was left one on one with the defender to either shake him or run through him. If CGM is sealing his man to the outside, Murray would have been stupid to try to take it to the place that his blocker is pushing him. Maybe a much faster RB would take that to the outside and try to beat the defender....2006 Reggie Bush.

Running backs at a very early age are taught to follow their blocks. From the way CGM is blocking, it looks like the play is designed to cut it up inside. Both the tackle and the TE on the play block their men to the inside with CGM sealing the defending to the outside. Murray was left one on one with the defender to either shake him or run through him. If CGM is sealing his man to the outside, Murray would have been stupid to try to take it to the place that his blocker is pushing him. Maybe a much faster RB would take that to the outside and try to beat the defender....2006 Reggie Bush.

My favorite was the sigh at the end of that video lol.

While we are questioning things, why is the world did MT only "half-azz" get out the way??

He sees it happening, takes only about 3 steps away, then stops.
True. Lazy blocking as much as I hate to say it on his part too. If he played the snap at 100% I bet he might not get hurt

True. I looked at it on the all-22 a few minutes ago that just came out and the more I look at it the less I can blame Murray. It sucks I just don’t want to lose one of these games due to a fluky injury like that we all know how important each one is come the end of regular season. And we know how depending on other teams to beat the team we need to lose works out lol. I guess this is what separates the good teams from great though. If KC lost Tyreek Hill a few weeks they should still be able to go undefeated or lose a game at most

Loved the fact Sanders said he wants the Saints to not only win but dominate.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom