Those that pray ... (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
It's funny, in my family, we've not had any of this. My unexpecteds have all been my online friends. Closest is my husband's nephew but he was KIA in Afghanistan so while not expected, you know it could happen.

Sorry to hear this, about your husband's nephew that is.

How did he die, if you don't mind me asking?

OP
Madmarsha

Madmarsha

I default to sarcasm
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry to hear this, about your husband's nephew that is.

How did he die, if you don't mind me asking?
I was gonna link to Arlington Cemetery's website but it's down for some strange reason. Here's his find a grave link. I usually post on Memorial Day about him but this year I didn't.

Reaction score
Maybe this will help?
There is a link to a pdf to the full paper.

Obviously, there are no pictures of a process that lasted millions of years (and there was no one to take pictures either :) ). But today, we can see the cell behavior in things like algae, as the paper linked discusses.

Don't be sad for me. I didn't turn away from anything, as I don't believe there is anything to turn away from. But even if it turned out Yahweh was real, I would turn away from such an immoral, fickle god.
Please point me in the direction of what stopped the evolutionary process. Because you haven’t done that so far. I have to ask and if you are uncomfortable answering this I understand. But what got you so turned off about the existence of God?

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Please point me in the direction of what stopped the evolutionary process. Because you haven’t done that so far. I have to ask and if you are uncomfortable answering this I understand. But what got you so turned off about the existence of God?
It hasn’t stopped
Why do you keep saying it stopped?

SystemShock

uh yu ka t'ann
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I don't know how many times how many people have to say the evolutionary process is an ongoing process that doesn't stop. I really don't get what you keep saying that.

I don't know that "turned off" is the right term... but anyway, in a nut shell, progress/science and studying religions (especially those outside the Abrahamic spectrum) made me realize gods don't exist. By studying I don't mean Sunday or Div school, but simply taking an objective look at the claims and stories, rather than reading them with the conviction that what I am reading must be true, which is what religious people do, they read their holy writings from the stand point that they must be true, no matter how illogical, contradictory, improbable, impossible, immoral, etc the claims in the writings are.

I read the Bible as you'd read, say, the Bhagavad Gita. I don't know what you think about the belief that cows are sacred, but I'd venture to say you don't think about the holiness of cows when tossing a porterhouse on the grill, just like Hindus don't think about Jesus. You believe in miracles, Hindus believe in miracles too, but it is living gurus who perform miracles for them, not dead saints.

Even within the Abrahamic religions: you are willing to accept that Jesus changed the rules, but not willing to accept Muhammad did the same thing. Why is that? Because you don't want to believe in what the Koran says, you want to believe in what the Bible says, more specifically the NT.

Then you start looking at the similarities in stories and claims, and you begin to see patterns of borrowed stories: virgin births, resurrections, even crucifixions, of older religions not associated with Judaism...

... it's a process.

Last edited:

SystemShock

uh yu ka t'ann
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The Bible says that who believes in e is not condemned. You can't be saved if you don't believe in Jesus. He's God's son and the son of man. He loves us all so much that he was willing to die for our salvation. No one could do more than he did. That was true love

Out of curiosity, why do you think human sacrifice was necessary for Yahweh to forgive humankind? And why would he sacrifice his own son (or himself, if you believe in the trinity)?

Infoman

You're a Towel!
Reaction score
My honest answer is... I try to, but sometimes fall short.... When I say it, I mean it... But when I do pray at night before bed... I don't always remember everything I need to say, and I often pray for those I love most, or have on my mind at the time. So I always mean what I say, but I don't always deliver... which is true in nearly everything else in my life, so my prayers are not immune to my faults. Good topic.

Reaction score
It hasn’t stopped
Why do you keep saying it stopped?
So evolution hasn’t stopped so at what point did it stop for the simple organisms that we started from. If you are saying man is continuing to evolve I disagree. People are changing because we continue to learn more and more about ways to improve our lives. That change goes from the food we eat to our medical care. If you want to call that evolution fine.

antipop

drool mop
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
So evolution hasn’t stopped so at what point did it stop for the simple organisms that we started from. If you are saying man is continuing to evolve I disagree. People are changing because we continue to learn more and more about ways to improve our lives. That change goes from the food we eat to our medical care. If you want to call that evolution fine.

I am sure evolutionary biologists would disagree with you but don’t let that stop you from being wrong

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Again it didn’t ‘stop’
The environment changed
The dynamic us organism + environment
- those organisms best adapted to a changing environment survive
- those that do not adapt die off
When an environment changes too rapidly to adapt to, you have extinctions

we can’t ‘see’ evolution because it happens over hundreds of generations- and it’s a chaotic process (meaning there are too many variables to predict outcome accurately)

I appreciate that you have a different opinion- I and others seem to find it necessary to point out it is not necessarily an fully informed opinion

that is not meant as a diss - knowledge and understanding are parts of a continuum and at any point someone can decide to journey farther on that path
I hope you decide to get more informed on this topic

Reaction score
I am sure evolutionary biologists would disagree with you but don’t let that stop you from being wrong
I don’t think you are understanding my point. If as guido says evolution hasn’t stopped and by stopped I’m not talking about the improvements we have made in healthcare which improves and expands our life expectancy. Where are the examples of the steps that take place in the evolution process? Guido also said that we can’t see evolution because it takes place over hundreds of years. That still doesn’t cover up the fact that if evolution was real it should’ve never stopped and we should still have beings in the process of evolving. Since we don’t then something had to stop the simple organisms from evolving or the theory of evolution is incorrect.

antipop

drool mop
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I don’t think you are understanding my point. If as guido says evolution hasn’t stopped and by stopped I’m not talking about the improvements we have made in healthcare which improves and expands our life expectancy. Where are the examples of the steps that take place in the evolution process? Guido also said that we can’t see evolution because it takes place over hundreds of years. That still doesn’t cover up the fact that if evolution was real it should’ve never stopped and we should still have beings in the process of evolving. Since we don’t then something had to stop the simple organisms from evolving or the theory of evolution is incorrect.

sigh

you obviously have zero interest in learning anything about this

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom