My annual Memorial Day thread (3 Viewers)

Prayer itself isn't an ideology. .
sorry, i just can't imagine any situation where this is an accurate statement -
as i understand it all prayer has both a target and an intention (vs, say meditation which might only have an intention)
'i'm praying to something for something'
the 'to something' is always going to be ideological, and thus it would follow that the 'for something' would be ideological as well

but i'm interested to hear your thoughts

Agreed... The issue is, some see their ideology as a personality trait, and take personal offense to any discussion or topic that doesn't fall in line with it - and feel as though they have to dispute anything to the contrary (even out of/without context). Rather than saying... "Oh, I don't pray - So I have no opinion." It's unfortunate, but ideology has nothing to do with the topic. It's also annoying af.

If there was a tread started Asking posters Specifically if they Feel Guilty for not praying.... I'd have no input because I'm not in that number, and I'm sure I wouldn't have heated debate about creationism in response... I thought it was pretty straight forward.
it's a discussion board
one discusses things on a discussion board

sorry, i just can't imagine any situation where this is an accurate statement -
as i understand it all prayer has both a target and an intention (vs, say meditation which might only have an intention)
'i'm praying to something for something'
the 'to something' is always going to be ideological, and thus it would follow that the 'for something' would be ideological as well

but i'm interested to hear your thoughts
I dunno, it's an act more than an ideology imo. Not any different than having a conversation with someone. It's a verb.

I tend to think our world view determines how we pray. But I also tend to think of ideology more in political terms than religious or spiritual/philosophical. Making a distinction between ideology and and world view might involve some hair splitting, so idk.

Regardless, the OP was asking a question about prayer, not giving any sort of consideration to ideology. That's not germane to her question.

You don't have to have any sort of ideology to pray, imo.

How can you say that, when you are asking things of a specific god?

I dunno, it's an act more than an ideology imo. Not any different than having a conversation with someone. It's a verb.
So just wishful thinking? Who you do pray to? Why do you pray to that particular entity?

I tend to think our world view determines how we pray. But I also tend to think of ideology more in political terms than religious or spiritual/philosophical. Making a distinction between ideology and and world view might involve some hair splitting, so idk.

Regardless, the OP was asking a question about prayer, not giving any sort of consideration to ideology. That's not germane to her question.
if that someone is actual and others can see/hear then sure it's a conversation
if that someone is an IDEA, then it's an ideology

your 'regardless' follows from a proof that you never made - as i think i just showed (but you are allowed/encouraged to refute) prayer is inherently an ideology

if that someone is actual and others can see/hear then sure it's a conversation
if that someone is an IDEA, then it's an ideology

your 'regardless' follows from a proof that you never made - as i think i just showed (but you are allowed/encouraged to refute) prayer is inherently an ideology
But the idea is the existence of that someone. Interaction with that someone, whether real or imagined is an act, not an idea. It might point to that idea, but that doesn't mean it's an ideology on it's own.

But the idea is the existence of that someone. Interaction with that someone, whether real or imagined is an act, not an idea. It might point to that idea, but that doesn't mean it's an ideology on it's own.
you're standing in front of me - i ask you for a dollar
i then turn and stare into the void and ask _______ for a dollar
you're telling me that those are the same thing because they both involve the asking
i can't believe you believe that is correct

And idea and an ideology are not the same thing.
The very act of praying to a god is a significant part of an ideology.
There is no praying without an ideology.

And idea and an ideology are not the same thing.
The very act of praying to a god is a significant part of an ideology.
There is no praying without an ideology.
But again, the act isn't necessarily the ideology. It may point it it, but it's not on it's own. A lot of people talk to themselves. I know I do on occasion. I sometimes verbalize what I'm thinking in a way to try to figure something out. It seems to work sometimes. It's not indicative of any sort of ideology, but rather a way to process thinking.

I get it, but it's not one and the same, imo.

you're standing in front of me - i ask you for a dollar
i then turn and stare into the void and ask _______ for a dollar
you're telling me that those are the same thing because they both involve the asking
i can't believe you believe that is correct
Why wouldn't it be the same thing? Talking, communicating, and even praying isn't always necessarily a two way street. It certainly usually is, but not always.

That said, we're going in circles now, so I guess we'll agree to disagree.

Ultimately, I dont think ideology is relevant to the OP, which was really my whole point.

Why wouldn't it be the same thing? Talking, communicating, and even praying isn't always necessarily a two way street. It certainly usually is, but not always.

That said, we're going in circles now, so I guess we'll agree to disagree.

Ultimately, I dont think ideology is relevant to the OP, which was really my whole point.
practice is not the same as gameday
rehearsal is not the same as performance
prayer is not the same as communication/(dialogue)

we keep going in circles bc i feel you said something illogical and i'm asking you to explain the logic
and it IS relevant to the OP if your point is not logical

and actually i think the point is that we were 25 pages into a mostly interesting discussion and the somebody gets in their feels on page 24 of a discussion board complaining that we are discussing things - and then tries to gaslight the whole discussion
i think THAT is more the point than clarifying terms

practice is not the same as gameday
rehearsal is not the same as performance
prayer is not the same as communication/(dialogue)

we keep going in circles bc i feel you said something illogical and i'm asking you to explain the logic
and it IS relevant to the OP if your point is not logical

and actually i think the point is that we were 25 pages into a mostly interesting discussion and the somebody gets in their feels on page 24 of a discussion board complaining that we are discussing things - and then tries to gaslight the whole discussion
i think THAT is more the point than clarifying terms
Well, it seems logical to me. I get it, but don't agree. I wasn't even thinking about the gaslighting thing, but whatever, I even said carry on after my first post addressing it. It's mostly been a sidetrack as we're completely ignoring the OP's original question. So, :shrug: is all I got at this point.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom