Those that work in restaurant industry I have a question (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Many states have gone to carry out or delivery only during the coronavirus. Those of you that have already had shifts since this has been implemented, how is the carry out business? Is it on par with what your carry out business was before or did go way up since there is no more dining in?

I figure it’s pretty good for those already known for take out. We are doing it just to get rid of some product this week but we were not known for take out so I think unless we put some flyers together we are going to kill it.

the places that were already mostly just take out and hooked up with all the delivery services online are probably doing well.

I work for a national chain and during the first 2 days wasn't busy enough to justify having any hourly employees. Manager cooking, opening, closing, taking orders and taking orders out. Not too bad until you get 4 or five good sized orders and can't get to the phone anymore because you only one their and cooking

Where I worked it's delivery and curb-side only now... business has went waayyy down, so much so to the point we (line cooks) were all told no line cooks will be needed for the foreseeable future; basically, we were all laid off. ? Business is so bad the boss can handle all cooking duties by himself.

2 months ago, there was 6 of us on the line.

I've had quite a few friends in the restaraunt and bar industry alread get laid off. Friend of mine owns a high volume buffet in Flowood, Ms. He laid off everyone and just shut the doors after looking at ways to gear up for delivery and carry out, just didn't make sense for his business model.

Restaurant takeout is interesting.. i tend to order takeout a lot , and i notice that some restaurants (especially when i lived in New Orleans , for some reason) really seem to look down their noses at takeout orders, and in fact seem to discourage it.. I mean, i do tip on takeout orders, but not as much obviously as when i’m dining in- but then again, the server isn’t constantly checking on me, giving refills, bringing out different courses, etc.. it’s usually running to the back , grabbing the packaged meal and handing it to me.. It will be interesting to see if more restaurants start to cater a little more to takeout diners than they did before.

Commanders Palace and Galatoires are both doing take out.

My wife has ordered takeout from Rizzutos in Lakeview twice this week. I told her to tip 20% at pick up.

Restaurant takeout is interesting.. i tend to order takeout a lot , and i notice that some restaurants (especially when i lived in New Orleans , for some reason) really seem to look down their noses at takeout orders, and in fact seem to discourage it.. I mean, i do tip on takeout orders, but not as much obviously as when i’m dining in- but then again, the server isn’t constantly checking on me, giving refills, bringing out different courses, etc.. it’s usually running to the back , grabbing the packaged meal and handing it to me.. It will be interesting to see if more restaurants start to cater a little more to takeout diners than they did before.
Actually it is quite different now. Lots of restaurants will deliver to your door now through a delivery service now . Uber even does it now. As far as I know they are still doing it.

Commanders Palace and Galatoires are both doing take out.

My wife has ordered takeout from Rizzutos in Lakeview twice this week. I told her to tip 20% at pick up.

It will be interesting to see if they continue. Remember, this came on so fast that most places were left with a lot of product that would just waste. I think those that stay with their same menu will do so until the have exhausted product and then either close or do some scale down menu.

Actually it is quite different now. Lots of restaurants will deliver to your door now through a delivery service now . Uber even does it now. As far as I know they are still doing it.

I dont like delivery, i like takeout.

In normal times, i tend to be a control freak, and i like picking up food becuase then i can control when i get it, how long it takes and whether or not it’s still hot by the time i get it home.. with delivery, i tend to wonder a lot how much longer it’ll be before they arrive, and half the time i get the food, it’s already cold.

All that said, in times like these- i’m more open to the idea of delivery.. but again, going back to the control freak thing- I’m more interested in delivery of prepackaged foods from grocery stores or Amazon, since those are less likely to be infected than food that is prepared at a restaurant by workers who i have no idea whether or not they’re being hygienic and vigilant against the Covid.

It will be interesting to see if they continue. Remember, this came on so fast that most places were left with a lot of product that would just waste. I think those that stay with their same menu will do so until the have exhausted product and then either close or do some scale down menu.

Right... and then the re-supply costs when this passes..

In normal times, i tend to be a control freak, and i like picking up food becuase then i can control when i get it, how long it takes and whether or not it’s still hot by the time i get it home.. with delivery, i tend to wonder a lot how much longer it’ll be before they arrive, and half the time i get the food, it’s already cold.

I totally agree with this. Although I much prefer eating where it's made over takeout. Generally speaking, I will only get takeout from certain places that are mostly geared for it (pizza, thai, etc).

With that said, I have a lot of extra downtime right now, and I am enjoying cooking.

All that said, in times like these- i’m more open to the idea of delivery.. but again, going back to the control freak thing- I’m more interested in delivery of prepackaged foods from grocery stores or Amazon, since those are less likely to be infected than food that is prepared at a restaurant by workers who i have no idea whether or not they’re being hygienic and vigilant against the Covid.
Some are being creative :D

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom