Opinion Thoughts about Drew Brees' decline and what our offense will look like now (1 Viewer)

I'm honestly not even that worried about the QB position for some reason...I think the keys to the season are:

1) Moving our young offensive lineman Ruiz to C and McCoy to G and how quickly Ruiz improves will be critical (if they move them).

2) We need some young players on defense to contribute sooner rather than later. (Turner, Werner, Adebo)

My gut feeling is that the starter will be Jamies, but I think we could win with Taysom if he improves his ball security....we will see, it is going to be different for sure....

The offense will be more explosive and probably less efficient and probably lower time of possession.

The Saints will still probably score 30 a game, they will probably be about 10 more total turnovers this year. But the big play capabilities should help cover for the extra turnovers.

The key i think is for the defense to stop the opposing offense after a turnover occurs. Those days of turnovers rarely happening with Drew under center are over with either Taysom or Winston at QB.
The Saints offense was it's most inefficient while scoring 30 ppg... Which I believe is probably due to the lack of crowd noise for the most part and us winning the field position game.

While Drew Brees was playing... 20% of our drives go 3 and out or Turnover by downs.

I am excited to see what our pass rush looks like with the number of DE prospects. Can the lighter quicker players get interior penetration without giving up run stopping ability. The guy from KC is 6'7" if he is tasked in the middle with his hands up it could be a distraction to the QB both in sight and trajectory. Lots of options which could help the offense

• 1Like
Reactions: MV2
It is still an odd feeling to know that Drew has retired. For the first time in 15 years, we'll have a new QB under center. We all knew that his play was on the decline but he kept fighting to win one more title. Let alone he was healthy for majority of his time here except the last two years. A broken thumb where he missed five games and 11 broken ribs and a collapsed lung that made him miss only four (talk about tough as nails.)

Critics would always mention how his arm was on the decline. "He cannot get the ball 20 yards downfield" they would say. For the most part, they were right. Drew made a few past that mark but it was not as frequent as we once saw. We saw a lot of short routes, flat dump offs and screens. In all honesty, our offense became predictable and yet we still managed to score. That is until the playoffs came around. We could not get past the 20 point threshold (outside of 24 pts against the Viqueens).

Now we have seen a good number of QBs continue to play into their 40s. Blanda, Moon, Testaverde, Flutie, Brady, Favre, just to name a few. Drew managed to get in at 42 so we can't say his decline was due to age as well as he kept up his body. However, we forget the injury that brought him here. A shoulder dislocation through the bottom joint, a completely torn labrum and a 50% tear of the rotator cuff. Brees was very lucky to have the career he has achieved with an injury of this caliber. Now I'm no doctor by any means, but I would presume that naturally the parts would become weaker over the years but the injury, even restructured, excelled that process with the constant repetition.

So now we look for a successor. Frankly, our offensive playbook has just upgraded to a new level. Jameis has been working his tail off this offseason to prove he can be the future of this team. We all know what Taysom can do and he was solid in the starts he had this past year. He just needs to improve his ball security, awareness and decision making. The pick of Ian Book intrigues me given he comes from a solid program, started for a couple of years and a team player. Nothing against Drew at all but we know is was a hinder for our offense to reach its full potential. Now with a pair of younger, stronger arms, SP and company are going to have a field day with several weapons being unleashed.

Hopefully this year we get back to the balance that has made us successful in the past. We went 8-1 the last two years without Drew and that's a huge testament to the defense. If we can have that same level intensity with an even more explosive offense, the sky is the limit for us going forward.

Slander away
NO "slander" to be found here my Brother! PROPERS ONLY! Watching that highlight reel sure showed us some truly amazing talent! I mean from Horn's last days to The Quite Storm's thrilling catches, Lance Moore (so, so dependable) Henderson's speed and back shoulder ability and on and on as Drew would just "Find A Way"! If anything, anything at ALL can be instilled in ANY of the up and comers? It's that simple, almost meme now quality to just "Find A Way"! That's about it, really. Drew felt the pocket, seemed to always throw in the play fake, the pump fake, the mobility to not really 'scramble" in the classic sense but to move, "feeling" where there was room to make the throw downfield w/vision and elusiveness! I'm truly so thankful for that video, which highlighted #9 and Big #12 making History over and over again!

We NEED to give #9 a PROPER "Thank YOU DREW BREES DAY" or something like it! Hope that happens and I'm there to join in! Cheers to All who witnessed TRUE GREATNESS! The TRUE GOAT! #9 of The New Orleans SAINTS! Drew Brees! God Speed Drew! Stay Frosty young man! You've given your ALL! THAT is for CERTAIN!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom