Thoughts about our draft picks after a week? (1 Viewer)

There were 2 top CBs, 1 top LB and the top DE was undersized and all were picked 10 spots before 28.
1 team moved up 9 spots and it cost them 2 #1's.
We were pretty much handcuffed trying to fill 4 defensive spots in this draft.
We filled 3 spots in the first 3 rounds with guys who have the talent and mindset to succeed in the NFL.
Bring on the preseason!

I appreciate all of the takes, but I offer a different view on the belief that the Saints were so talented in recent years that we should not have expected many drafted players to make our roster. Three points. First, in the salary-cap era, no team is so talented that it can think few drafted players can make its team.

Second, in the last three years, we were active in free agency, and we had undrafted free agents make our roster.

Third, this team needs depth at every position. It needs a clear-cut number two receiver, two more tight ends, two more offensive linemen, a running back, a defensive tackle, a linebacker, and one to two cornerbacks. When veterans leave for money in free agency, a team hopefully has younger players to take their place. This is not really happening this year because our drafts from 2018 to 2020 overall were not terribly productive.

The thing that haunts us is that the 2006 and 2017 drafts were so phenomenal that every other draft pales in comparison. The stars had to align perfectly for the first few rounds of those drafts then the scouting department gave us good options.
It’s not every year that a Reggie Bush or Marshon Lattimore will fall into our laps. Also, I had no idea who Cam Jordan was when we drafted him and that’s turned out pretty well. If you get two starters and two other contributors as backups consistently from the draft you’re doing well.

I am more confident with the selections after doing some research. Turner was definitely a name we did not expect but the more I thought about it, the more I realized how many combos we can use for the D-Line. Werner is very intelligent and can hopefully fill the Anzalone role. Adebo has a lot of potential and being a former receiver should have the ball skills to succeed. Book was a surprise as well but I kind of wanted him here, proven winner and works his tail off. Young is a solid backup with potential to be a starter. Baker adds more depth to WR.

The biggest takeaways from this class is the character and versatility they bring to the team. The Saints have been set on building that culture for a while now and it continues with these picks. That is why when they take a name we did not expect, we get in an uproar. At the end of the day, we are not looking for impact players every year unless it becomes a serious need. Role players go a long way in this league and that's what we get year after year. In Loomis, Ireland & Payton We Trust.

I feel the same as last week. I don't give draft grades, but if I had to describe this draft in one word it will be UNINSPIRED. And that may not be a bad thing.

We always come to the draft hoping we find a player or two that can come and contribute immediately, making a better team from this choices.

We didn't find that #2 receiver or boundary corner that could have made that difference, but I don't think this was the goal from the saints scouts and front office.

It seems to me that the goal of this draft was to re-build depth, to bring the best athletes possible to replace some of the players that left or released because of contracts.

And it seems we were able to achieve that. Turner, Adebo and Werner will contribute in some way, and we can hope that they can turn into difference makers.

Depth was the name of the game, and it is a logical goal considering our cap situation and the position we were drafting.

I appreciate all of the takes, but I offer a different view on the belief that the Saints were so talented in recent years that we should not have expected many drafted players to make our roster. Three points. First, in the salary-cap era, no team is so talented that it can think few drafted players can make its team.

Second, in the last three years, we were active in free agency, and we had undrafted free agents make our roster.

Third, this team needs depth at every position. It needs a clear-cut number two receiver, two more tight ends, two more offensive linemen, a running back, a defensive tackle, a linebacker, and one to two cornerbacks. When veterans leave for money in free agency, a team hopefully has younger players to take their place. This is not really happening this year because our drafts from 2018 to 2020 overall were not terribly productive.

I agree with most of this.

I would add that the 2016 draft started to set the stage. 4 out of 5 of those players drafted were solid-great contributors, then in 2017? We hit it out of the park. All the players we drafted made the team (except Muhammed who was picked up by the Colts and contributed there) and all were good-great players.

when you combine that level of draft success, along with picking up players in FA and a few UDFA's making the team, there isn't much room on the roster for young players in the next few years. IMO, that is why we traded up so much in the next few years (the big one with MD, and also multiple times in the later rounds).

This year, between folks we couldn't or didn't re-sign due to injury issues (Rankins, Anzalone, Hendrickson, Kwon, Jackrabbit (who I really want back)), we now suddenly have a number of holes on the roster we didn't before....

We don't have the capital to make any real splash FA signings (at least for us), so this draft is really important. But the only thing about it I can say is that I like it because we have a definite strategy with Ireland and we have been disciplined in sticking to it....and I think that is a good thing.

If our draft picks can stay healthy I think we will be pleasantly surprised....

One thing from reading the comments are the expectations is pretty low. That might be a good thing. No pressure for these players to be world beaters. But would be a great surprise if these players contribute greatly this year.

What if they all end up starting...and jelling(sp?)
That's our hope. But you know how it is with draft. We all want that shinning star being plastered on tv and websites for months leading up to the draft. We look at rankings and mock drafts from so called "expect and draft guru" and get hype up about a certain player and wanting us to draft him. When a certain player is not drafted and when we draft someone we never heard of we think of the worst.

This year has been different for me. A lot of players and some team had opt out this season and it was difficult to follow.

I have a feeling these guys will be backbone, Vonn Bell type picks. But not Turner. I think he's gonna be a 10 sack a season guy before long.

Ian Book is the X factor for me. How does he process? If he picks up the offense and retains everything on a high level, he could quickly become someone we can't keep off the field. But that's a HUGE if. Because his arm talent and raw physical gifts won't be enough. He has to almost literally become Drew Brees 2: Reloaded

I still feel the same way, it’s a redo draft particularly at the top. Turner and Werner were selected because Davenport and Anzalone didn’t work out. We’re not going to win Super Bowls when making picks at the top to fix prior mistakes at the top.

I still feel the same way, it’s a redo draft particularly at the top. Turner and Werner were selected because Davenport and Anzalone didn’t work out. We’re not going to win Super Bowls when making picks at the top to fix prior mistakes at the top.
The problem with your premise is Davenport hasn't not worked out yet. He had an injury addled step backwards. But he's still on the team. No mistake was made because the process is still continuing.

More likely, we selected Davenport because Hendrickson signed for more than we could pay him and Cam Jordan ain't getting any younger.

The problem with your premise is Davenport hasn't not worked out yet. He had an injury addled step backwards. But he's still on the team. No mistake was made because the process is still continuing.

More likely, we selected Davenport because Hendrickson signed for more than we could pay him and Cam Jordan ain't getting any younger.

Exactly my thought, if the Saints felt MD "hasn't panned out" they have a funny way of showing it....early 5th year option and all....

The main thing I liked about this draft is the lack of trading up, except for Adebo. To me, that move made sense because they could not trade up for Surtain or Horn in the first round. Was there a CB worth a second rounder? I don't know, but a boundary CB was a desperate need in my view. The LB from OSU was a bit puzzling. The OL could turn out well, and depth on the offensive line is important. The WR is a gamble, but all 7th rounders are speculative.

RJ is right that the Saints didn't have the capital to fill their needs. Under these constraints, it was inevitable that many would be disappointed in this draft. We should be prepared for a difficult season because the Saints were dealt a bad hand with retirement, free agency exodus, cap problems, and a poor draft position.

I can see Turner not having the numbers in his first year, just like Cam didn’t, and then balling out his second year and there after, just like Cam. How will he help us win in 2021..? I think we see a bit of Cam inside (with DT beaing depleted) and Davenport and Turner pushing the tackled into the QB's face. I think this is a pick more for the future, and his injury history worries me, but I like his potential.

I also think Adebo will do well and earn the CB2 spot. Had he played this year and continued to improve, he easily could’ve put himself in the conversation of being a 1st rounder this year. Every year there is a mid round CB rookie who surprises the league and plays well. Hopefully he earns the starters spot this year. I think he will be really good year 1 and beyond if he can knock off the rust of a year off.

Of the first 3 picks, I see Werner as being the one who doesn’t produce as much as the others in his first few seasons. Maybe bc Baun takes over but mainly bc he doesn’t have the speed needed for being a top flight LB. He was extremely solid for OSU and played a lot for them, so I think his ceiling is someone who isn't great nor bad. I'm not football-smart enough to really have an opinion of his potential

I have no idea what to expect from Ian Book mainly bc of our history of drafting QBs during Payton's tenure. If the coaching staff can get him in the right place after a couple years then he may be a stop gap starter for a couple years if Winston and Hill don't work out. He may never get a shot to start bc of a high QB in the future if Hill and Winston fail, but I hope Payton turns him into Romo 2.0.

I hope Landon Young is one of those mid-late round Saints' OL picks that turns into a starter for years ala Rushrod, Strief, Nicks, Evans, Armstead. He was highly recruited out of high school, and decided to go to a college that didn't really do much. He may inherit and dominate or be off the team in a few years. He'll be better than Rick Leonard though if I had to put money on it.

Kawaan Baker killed it in his pro day and scouts noticed him when they were mainly there to watch South Alabama's LB. Hopefully he is like Colston but more of a deep threat. Maybe he will just play special teams. Maybe he won't even make the team. Who knows. Overall I like it for a 7th rounder.

I said hopefully a lot, but we had a huge impact from the 2017 draft class which not many people saw coming. Could it happen again? Maybe. If Jameis can just manage the game, Kamara and Murray can pound it, and the rookies and 2nd year defenders play decently then I think we have a shot at the playoffs.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom