Thoughts on Brees Anthem Remarks and Apology: Coming from a guy that still serves (2 Viewers)

Then he is not privileged if he is miserable.

LOL. Privilege is not an emotion or feeling. But the fact that you interpreted it like that shows you don't understand what it is. It is (loosely) a special right, advantage, or immunity granted or available only to a particular group. Learn about it. It comes in all varieties. White privilege, abled bodied, hetero, male or female depending on the situation. As an individual it's not the person's fault to have privilege, but at least understand how it impacts those who do not have that same privilege before dismissing it. It SHOULD matter to if my office building doesn't have wheelchair ramps or disabled accessible bathrooms. Im not getting on a thread discussing the need for more and better disabled accessible bathrooms repeatedly screaming, "Everyone needs bathrooms! Not just the handicapped!"

Ignore your privileges. Fine. But to actively prevent others who are trying to improve the inequities they face, that takes a whole different type of miserable.

It is coming from someone that still serves and has a combined total of 15 years of service, both active and reserve. I am also an African American. I honestly believe that Drew Brees does not understand what it's like to be a minority in this country. I wasn't upset by Kaepernick taking a knee for the flag because that's the beauty of serving so that Americans can peacefully protest for the causes that they believe in. I was a bit disappointed in what Brees said, but as I previously mentioned, he does not understand the struggles of the African American community. I know folks that he's 41-years old and he should know what's going on. But if you don't know, then you don't know.

I read the apology on IG, and it seems sincere, but from here on out, he needs to take a step back right now and listen; that's it. I believe that this could be a massive moment of growth for one of America's top athletes and could have a huge impact on racial equality. Overall, I am not up and arms about his comments yesterday because I move to the beat of my own drum and not waiting on an athlete and their platforms to show me that they care about what's going on in the world regardless if they are black or white. Right now I am trying to figure out what I can do better for my community. I hope that this does not get taken down because I enjoy coming to this forum to share my content; that's on my blog on this great team.
When it comes to kneeling during the anthem, I don't care whether people do or don't. Why? because I would be a hypocrit.
I believe that a highschool valedictorian should be able to talk about their faith. They can't because the courts have ruled that it will offend some atheists. My feeling is why does it offend an atheist? That's somebody else's opinion and you aren't required to believe it.
Why be upset when people kneel during the anthem? You aren't required to agree with them.

When it comes to kneeling during the anthem, I don't care whether people do or don't. Why? because I would be a hypocrit.
I believe that a highschool valedictorian should be able to talk about their faith. They can't because the courts have ruled that it will offend some atheists. My feeling is why does it offend an atheist? That's somebody else's opinion and you aren't required to believe it.
Why be upset when people kneel during the anthem? You aren't required to agree with them.

Evidently you can think for yourself. You can have strong opinions and listen to others with different opinions without getting mad. If we had ~370,000,000 American citizens with that ability, it would be amazing what we could accomplish.

A side note: Of all the people I've spoken to... the majority of the ones that share your ability to think for themselves, do not watch, read, or listen to the news. I'm proud to count myself a part of that group.

One thing has stuck with me for a while now. Me and my family was at a Saints game in the dome a while back, during the peak of the "kneeling" debate. Before the game, they put a photo of a police officer that was killed in the line of duty in Baton Rouge, on the big screens and asked for a moment of silence. Some of the Saints players bowed their heads, others kneeled and bowed their heads. The Dome errupted in Boo's. Then they played the national anthem and the players stood up. Two things.... One, when I got home, I watched what was shown on the broadcast, because I had a bet with my wife... They showed the anthem playing with players kneeling. That's NOT what happened. Sickening.

And secondly, I remember Boo-ing with the crowd. Why? Am I against kneeling? No, not really. I see both sides of the debate. But I got caught up in the moment in a mob mentality with 80k others present. I was ashamed of that more than anything. But looking back, I'm glad for it. It made me stop and think about how easy it would be to let the actions of others dictate my actions. And since then, I've turned off the news... And I've been a much happier, and I think, "better" person.

First off to the OP, Derrick B., you might be my new favorite poster on SR!
The fact that you shared your opinion and then listened to each and every others and then replying with "I can respect that."
That is what America should be. And thank you for your service.

Now, as for this thread. This is a perfect illustration of the problem right now, as the OP started this thread with the hopes of having a discussion about improving his/our community and how can we address the problems that people are protesting against. And yet again it has again been derailed about the flag and the anthem. Once again we aren't discussing the actual problem. And Im sorry, but if the biggest issue in your life and the thing that is bothering you the most is some people kneeling during the national anthem, then you got it good bro!!
Thing is I am not necessarily disagreeing with any of you, but we aren't talking about the problems that we need to fix. And no matter how much some people don't think there is a problem there is. Cause here is the thing, just because there is no problem or issues for you doesn't mean there isn't for anyone else. That was the whole reason, IMO, his teammates especially got upset with Drew. His teammates were upset because he was talking about the national anthem and not the the issue they were protesting.
Those issues are the longstanding systematic issues and setbacks and hurdles placed on African-Americans, especially in the South. Criminal Justice reform, Public Education, Vote Suppression, Gerrymandering, etc, and others. And if you don't think there is a problem in these areas you just aren't looking and aren't dealing with it.
Perspective is a wonderful thing.

I'd wager it's less about their religion and more about respecting women.

Nope.

When a prospective employee refused to shake my wife's hand during an interview, the reason he gave had nothing to do with her. It was about me, her husband. Touching her would disrespect me, according to his religion.
Respect for her was irrelevant. Didn't even factor in.

He's legit a multi-striped black belt. So... why not? Head on over to Baton Rouge and give it a shot.
I'd still like my chances lol
I've been spitting out alotta dumb stuff on this board the last couple days. I've cooled down a bit and I apologize if I offended anyone on here because I know I had to of.

I served 12 years. While I have my preference to what I like to do when the National Anthem
plays and what I PREFER others do while it plays, I fought frontlines side by side with Black, White, Yellow, Brown, for Kaep to be able to take a knee, Drew to be able to stand, and others to be able to burn the flag if thats what they see fit, regardless of which of those options I like best.

I can't like this post above enough. Thank you for your service...and all those on this thread that served....

Many on this forum have served, myself included, and we all applaud your sacrifice for the betterment of America. It is a shame more people do not serve. I agree Drew misjudged the feelings of the minority community. He expressed his opinion, yes his opinion, and is being castigated for it. He does not agree with the kneeling during the National Anthem because it spits in the face of all that is good in this country. We are not held down by caste or limited by birthright. One can succeed in America through hard work. The recipe is simple. Family, education, and faith. You can pick the order.

I’m not defending these idiot police who KILLED Mr. Floyd. They will get there punishment. I cannot agree with the pervasive looting and violence perpetrated in Mr. Floyd's name. The response or lack thereof, by the mayors and governors shows abject incompetence. Laws are only valid if people are willing to abide by them otherwise its anarchy. I doubt the majority of people have traveled extensively outside our boarders and had the opportunity to see firsthand how others live. We are so fortunate and blessed to be Americans. We have flaws here, but compared to the rest of the world we are heads and shoulders above. Therefore, I am guessing one can express their opinion just as long as it coincides with the opinions of the masses, or else face the wrath of criticism.

What makes you believe that Americans are head and shoulders above the rest of the world?

Have you been anywhere else?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom