Thoughts on Brees Anthem Remarks and Apology: Coming from a guy that still serves (1 Viewer)

As someone who spent a lot of time passionately arguing with folks on the EE board about the Alton Sterling Killing back in 2016 I can admit I've grown from that, from that person from that energy, from allowing my anger to control me (though we all still lose that game sometimes)

So figured I'd share this.

Screw it, don't know how to embed but yeah if you're interested in some perspective please view. Later

Thoughts on Drew

I know TONS of military service members on both sides of the aisle on this topic...but I do think that military service members tend to be more tolerant than the general population and there's a great deal of respect among members even when there are disagreements. I wish that we could get that far in normal society.

Agreed... I thinks that's due to the relative unique perspective most soldiers share when it comes to "true adversity", personal real life experience in overcoming that adversity, being obligated to work together with people from all walks of life to achieve a shared goals rooted in our commonality and not differences, and the overall indifference shown to extremism that's shared by the hearts of all volunteers...

First of all, thanks for your service. I know that's an overused phrase, but it's heartfelt nonetheless.

The one part of your post I take issue with is when you say Drew needs to step back and listen. I interpret that to mean "don't say anything; let me/us do all the talking." I believe that is counter-productive and not the path to a solution. If this was not your intended meaning, I'd love for you to elaborate.

My .02.
When I say that he needs to step back, I mean step back from social media and listen to what his teammates have to say. Have discussions behind close doors with the team and quit going to social media and Yahoo. I accepted his apology but there are others that are stating that it's not enough and he needs to do a long PR campaign on the issue. I disagree with that notion. Overall, I think that both Jenkins and Brees handled the issue poorly yesterday and their Captains label from their uniforms should temporarily suspended.

Brees needs to get off his white privileged butt and March with the protesters, make a speech, something. A text apology with some Google stock image of racial unit? He can do better

It is coming from someone that still serves and has a combined total of 15 years of service, both active and reserve. I am also an African American. I honestly believe that Drew Brees does not understand what it's like to be a minority in this country. I wasn't upset by Kaepernick taking a knee for the flag because that's the beauty of serving so that Americans can peacefully protest for the causes that they believe in. I was a bit disappointed in what Brees said, but as I previously mentioned, he does not understand the struggles of the African American community. I know folks that he's 41-years old and he should know what's going on. But if you don't know, then you don't know.

I read the apology on IG, and it seems sincere, but from here on out, he needs to take a step back right now and listen; that's it. I believe that this could be a massive moment of growth for one of America's top athletes and could have a huge impact on racial equality. Overall, I am not up and arms about his comments yesterday because I move to the beat of my own drum and not waiting on an athlete and their platforms to show me that they care about what's going on in the world regardless if they are black or white. Right now I am trying to figure out what I can do better for my community. I hope that this does not get taken down because I enjoy coming to this forum to share my content; that's on my blog on this great team.

What are the struggles of the black community? I'm white, and would like your opinion. I've wanted to ask those among my black friends this question, and thought it too risky.

Brees needs to get off his white privileged butt and March with the protesters, make a speech, something. A text apology with some Google stock image of racial unit? He can do better

Trying to prove that you aren't a racist is about the most impossible endeavor in the history of mankind. Those who will forgive Brees will forgive him...but there are those who will forever consider Brees the enemy in spite of his words and actions.

I served for a little over 27yrs active duty (Aug '74 - Jan '02). I am also Black, and have personally encountered Colored v. White water fountains as a child growing up in New Orleans.

While on active duty, I've accompanied a flag-draped coffin from Europe back to the United States, and I have also participated in a burial at sea ceremony.

The above info, while it may be enlightening to the reader, does not add credibility to what I am about to say:

When you kneel during the National Anthem, you are disrespecting the flag of the United States: Period.

I know that many are maintaining that Colin Kaepernick said it has nothing to do with the flag; it's all about protesting police brutality. On the surface, the casual reader/listener may go along with that. But that argument falls flat because the action of kneeling only happens when the National Anthem is played. Just because you "SAY" it has nothing to do with the flag... does not negate the significance of the ACTION of kneeling while the anthem is played. Again, because the action of kneeling always coincides with the playing of the National Anthem underscores the fact that it's about the flag and what it represents.

Anyone who doesn't think it's about the flag is oblivious to the fact that the flag (i.e.: our "national colors") are paraded/presented on the field by the Color Guard at each game.

Think about what would happen if someone chose to remain seated, or kneels... while:

* the bride enters the chapel, or
* when the judge enters the courtroom, or
* when a casket is being wheeled out of the church at a funeral, or
* when a commanding officer enters a space where military personnel under his/her charge are present.

The action of STANDING whenever you're present at any of the above instances is a sign of respect, plain and simple. It has NOTHING TO DO WITH whether or not you like what you're witnessing, or if you choose that event to "make a statement" about societal ills. If you choose to do so (i.e.: not stand at the ceremonially appropriate time), you're disrespecting the event... and you undermine and partially discredit the cause for which you say you're representing.

As you no doubt know, the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution covers more than one protection:

a) Freedom of SPEECH
b) Freedom of RELIGION
c) Freedom to PETITION
d) Freedom of ASSEMBLY
e) Freedom of the PRESS

Although we are afforded all of these rights, we must exercise DISCRETION when we choose to do so. If individuals want to protest police brutality, it is their Constitutional right, and no one can arbitrarily take it away. However when we assert our perceived rights at a time and place that is inappropriate, the cause for which say we are defending is tarnished in the process.

Peace, out.
Thanks to all of the active and veteran service men and women of our country. Your sacrifice is greatly appreciated. I am also cognizant that, like most Americans, there are differences of opinion on many issues, including protesting during the national anthem. This was one of them. Colin Kaepernick (sp?) made his choice to bring attention to police brutality in this nation by kneeling during the national anthem. That was his choice, his opinion, and he had a right to do so. But, he could have protested in other ways, i.e. written "BLM" or the entire phrase "Black Lives Matter" on wrist bands or head bands, or even his shoes. Other players could have followed. He was criticized and complimented for his stance. When Drew Brees gave his opinion on the kneeling during the national anthem, it was his opinion; nothing more. However, he was criticized, mostly, for his opinion, that he did not understand the pain of the African-American community. Most of the criticism, like it or not, involved basically attacks on him, rather than offering to help him understand that pain. I am honored to have people, such as yourself, who served this country and understand the importance of our national symbol. Just as I am honored to have people who are currently serving and have served our country and understand that they are protecting our rights to protest as well. The only way this helps our nation is through dialogue, not attacking one another. Both sides of the flag debate could have handled it better. It is time to put down the swords and begin the healing.

What are the struggles of the black community? I'm white, and would like your opinion. I've wanted to ask those among my black friends this question, and thought it too risky.
Are you being sarcastic?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom