Thoughts on Brees Anthem Remarks and Apology: Coming from a guy that still serves (1 Viewer)

. We are not held down by caste or limited by birthright. One can succeed in America through hard work. The recipe is simple. Family, education, and faith. You can pick the order.
It’s fine that you think that, I can understand wanting to defend the country you describe here
The unfortunate part, and the reason for the protests, is that what you say is not accurate for most Americans much less Americans of color

If you can demonstrate any of the things you describe, please feel free

Kap did it during the anthem because he hates America. Ask any liberal, any professor etc. they all hate America. They see only the wrongs of the country. Kap wears Che Guevara shirts and pigs on his socks. He should protest the violence of his “black” community which is where the problem is.
Or perhaps because he ( and they ) love America?

I served for a little over 27yrs active duty (Aug '74 - Jan '02). I am also Black, and have personally encountered Colored v. White water fountains as a child growing up in New Orleans.

While on active duty, I've accompanied a flag-draped coffin from Europe back to the United States, and I have also participated in a burial at sea ceremony.

The above info, while it may be enlightening to the reader, does not add credibility to what I am about to say:

When you kneel during the National Anthem, you are disrespecting the flag of the United States: Period.

I know that many are maintaining that Colin Kaepernick said it has nothing to do with the flag; it's all about protesting police brutality. On the surface, the casual reader/listener may go along with that. But that argument falls flat because the action of kneeling only happens when the National Anthem is played. Just because you "SAY" it has nothing to do with the flag... does not negate the significance of the ACTION of kneeling while the anthem is played. Again, because the action of kneeling always coincides with the playing of the National Anthem underscores the fact that it's about the flag and what it represents.

Anyone who doesn't think it's about the flag is oblivious to the fact that the flag (i.e.: our "national colors") are paraded/presented on the field by the Color Guard at each game.

Think about what would happen if someone chose to remain seated, or kneels... while:

* the bride enters the chapel, or
* when the judge enters the courtroom, or
* when a casket is being wheeled out of the church at a funeral, or
* when a commanding officer enters a space where military personnel under his/her charge are present.

The action of STANDING whenever you're present at any of the above instances is a sign of respect, plain and simple. It has NOTHING TO DO WITH whether or not you like what you're witnessing, or if you choose that event to "make a statement" about societal ills. If you choose to do so (i.e.: not stand at the ceremonially appropriate time), you're disrespecting the event... and you undermine and partially discredit the cause for which you say you're representing.

As you no doubt know, the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution covers more than one protection:

a) Freedom of SPEECH
b) Freedom of RELIGION
c) Freedom to PETITION
d) Freedom of ASSEMBLY
e) Freedom of the PRESS

Although we are afforded all of these rights, we must exercise DISCRETION when we choose to do so. If individuals want to protest police brutality, it is their Constitutional right, and no one can arbitrarily take it away. However when we assert our perceived rights at a time and place that is inappropriate, the cause for which say we are defending is tarnished in the process.

Peace, out.
Best thing I’ve read in a long time, other than the New Testament.

black peoples problems are other black peoples.

then they call the cops and they forget why they called the cops.

problem with blacks is they do not understand how to integrate. When some blacks grow up a certain way like Tiger Woods, Michael Jordan, they do not want to be part of the black movement because they believe in their heart the black community is a product of their commitment to excellence.

This is why they are not vocal. MJ hates rap/hip hop because he believes it keeps blacks down. He wouldn't even even take pictures with black people that look a certain way. TRUE STORY!

Blacks forget other races exist in the world and competition is tough. To make it anywhere takes character and just because they want something they think they can have it. When they do not get it, they blame skin color.

They have no proof of this.

However they use police brutality as their #1 example. which is fair. But this has nothing to do with exiting the projects or gov't suppression considering black politicians have failed to help.

Its a lost cause! Will never change
I think you need to learn some history.

EJ. The video screen shot of burning Brees' jersey appears to be opposed to your message in the video. I'm getting mixed messages.

mmmhmmm but what does the title say? I thought it was clever, had some other screenshots and I was like man......... I need something provocative. Realized I had a Brees Jersey and figured I'd draw angry people in......only to say RELAX.

I think whats interesting is Drew put out a statement, people forgive him..he admitted he was tone deaf....but he still never said he agreed with kneeling. So what exactly were we jumping on his case for? Because we wanted him to give lip service? We wanted him to use his voice to validate the cause? He had an opinion and that was always ok, I get people needing him to be more sensitive and that's cool but we gotta find some middle ground and stop being sensitive as well. I understood what he stood for the entire time...never got the impression he wasn't in solidarity with people fighting against racial inequality, police brutality, and injustice...he simply didn't agree with kneeling as a tactic. Oh the smuck well... can we focus on where we agree and not where we disagree?

Last edited:
I served for a little over 27yrs active duty (Aug '74 - Jan '02). I am also Black, and have personally encountered Colored v. White water fountains as a child growing up in New Orleans.

While on active duty, I've accompanied a flag-draped coffin from Europe back to the United States, and I have also participated in a burial at sea ceremony.

The above info, while it may be enlightening to the reader, does not add credibility to what I am about to say:

When you kneel during the National Anthem, you are disrespecting the flag of the United States: Period.

I know that many are maintaining that Colin Kaepernick said it has nothing to do with the flag; it's all about protesting police brutality. On the surface, the casual reader/listener may go along with that. But that argument falls flat because the action of kneeling only happens when the National Anthem is played. Just because you "SAY" it has nothing to do with the flag... does not negate the significance of the ACTION of kneeling while the anthem is played. Again, because the action of kneeling always coincides with the playing of the National Anthem underscores the fact that it's about the flag and what it represents.

Anyone who doesn't think it's about the flag is oblivious to the fact that the flag (i.e.: our "national colors") are paraded/presented on the field by the Color Guard at each game.

Think about what would happen if someone chose to remain seated, or kneels... while:

* the bride enters the chapel, or
* when the judge enters the courtroom, or
* when a casket is being wheeled out of the church at a funeral, or
* when a commanding officer enters a space where military personnel under his/her charge are present.

The action of STANDING whenever you're present at any of the above instances is a sign of respect, plain and simple. It has NOTHING TO DO WITH whether or not you like what you're witnessing, or if you choose that event to "make a statement" about societal ills. If you choose to do so (i.e.: not stand at the ceremonially appropriate time), you're disrespecting the event... and you undermine and partially discredit the cause for which you say you're representing.

As you no doubt know, the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution covers more than one protection:

a) Freedom of SPEECH
b) Freedom of RELIGION
c) Freedom to PETITION
d) Freedom of ASSEMBLY
e) Freedom of the PRESS

Although we are afforded all of these rights, we must exercise DISCRETION when we choose to do so. If individuals want to protest police brutality, it is their Constitutional right, and no one can arbitrarily take it away. However when we assert our perceived rights at a time and place that is inappropriate, the cause for which say we are defending is tarnished in the process.

Peace, out.

Amen. My thoughts exactly, and so very well said.

Couple of more things: Just because something bad, unfair, or illegal is happening over there doesn't mean we have to react to it over here and spoil things for innocent fans. A football game is a football game, and bad cops are bad cops. Until the bad cops show up at the football game, there should be no response. If a mosquito bites you, you don't slap your dog. If cops do wrong, you shouldn't disrespect the innocent and destroy their property.

About the flag. I can't separate it from myself. That flag is me, and I am that flag. I've fought for it and could have died for it like some of my buddies. If someone is burning it or disrespecting it, they're disrespecting me and those who come before me. It's a simple symbol meant only to unite us as Americans. Disrespecting a unifying symbol can only be meant to divide, and that's never good.

About name-calling and accusations: I have never, ever harmed or disrespected a black person in any way because of his skin color. So it angers me that I stand accused of all sorts of things I don't deserve. But, I won't reciprocate the unfair treatment and accusations. I'll suck it up and try to understand why someone would say hurtful things about me because of the color of my skin.

So it angers me that I stand accused of all sorts of things I don't deserve. But, I won't reciprocate the unfair treatment and accusations. I'll suck it up and try to understand why someone would say hurtful things about me because of the color of my skin.

I don't feel accused of anything unfair. What do you think you're accused of?

It is coming from someone that still serves and has a combined total of 15 years of service, both active and reserve. I am also an African American. I honestly believe that Drew Brees does not understand what it's like to be a minority in this country. I wasn't upset by Kaepernick taking a knee for the flag because that's the beauty of serving so that Americans can peacefully protest for the causes that they believe in. I was a bit disappointed in what Brees said, but as I previously mentioned, he does not understand the struggles of the African American community. I know folks that he's 41-years old and he should know what's going on. But if you don't know, then you don't know.

I read the apology on IG, and it seems sincere, but from here on out, he needs to take a step back right now and listen; that's it. I believe that this could be a massive moment of growth for one of America's top athletes and could have a huge impact on racial equality. Overall, I am not up and arms about his comments yesterday because I move to the beat of my own drum and not waiting on an athlete and their platforms to show me that they care about what's going on in the world regardless if they are black or white. Right now I am trying to figure out what I can do better for my community. I hope that this does not get taken down because I enjoy coming to this forum to share my content; that's on my blog on this great team.
I’m not sure it was sincere and I’m also not sure he even wrote the apology. Probably a PR company that does understand wrote it and he remains clueless

mmmhmmm but what does the title say? I thought it was clever, had some other screenshots and I was like man......... I need something provocative. Realized I had a Brees Jersey and figured I'd draw angry people in......only to say RELAX.

I think whats interesting is Drew put out a statement, people forgive him..he admitted he was tone deaf....but he still never said he agreed with kneeling. So what exactly were we jumping on his case for? Because we wanted him to give lip service? We wanted him to use his voice to validate the cause? He had an opinion and that was always ok, I get people needing him to be more sensitive and that's cool but we gotta find some middle ground and stop being sensitive as well. I understood what he stood for the entire time...never got the impression he wasn't in solidarity with people fighting against racial inequality, police brutality, and injustice...he simply didn't agree with kneeling as a tactic. Oh the smuck well... can we focus on where we agree and not where we disagree?
I thought that might be the case with using a provocative still shot. The risk is those that don't or can't view the video. I liked your video message, but IMO the provocative still shot undermines your message more than anything possibly gained from the "shock headline" treatment. Again, just my opinion, friend.

I don't feel accused of anything unfair. What do you think you're accused of?

I feel hated because I defend a unifying symbol from those who want to use it to divide. I feel hated by blacks because I'm white. I feel hated because I feel sorry for innocent shop owners watching their hard work and livelihood being burned to the ground. Maybe those things don't bother you, and maybe I should dismiss the whole thing and not let it bother me. But I'm not wired that way. When I'm treated unjustly, it hurts. When I see someone else being treated unjustly, it hurts me too.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom