Thoughts on Drayton Florence & Randall Gay in Black & Gold next year? (1 Viewer)

Analyze This

increase after a decline
Reaction score
We have heard everyone's opinion of their off season moves, some realistic, most not so realistic. I think we need two off season CB pick ups due to MM's injury. After seeing the playoff games last night and today I think D. Florence and R. Gay would be a great CB duo in N.O. next year. They are both URFA, they are both not starting on there current teams, and they have quality cover skills. We could get both of these guys this off season for a good price and they will start (If MM is not ready to go of course). This would allow us to draft Kenny Phillips with the 10th pick or LB/DL if a quality LB/DL pick is there. And think about a secondary of Drayton Florence, Kenny Phillips, Roman Harper, Randall Gay, and a healthy MM...Sounds like a major upgrade from this year. What are some thoughts? I think this is possible $$$ wise and personal wise but what does the saints nation think??????

I doubt we'd get both. Gay may be more likely to come to us, but he is also more likely to be resigned. Florence will not be due to Antonio Cromartie's play of late. He is now an elite CB. Florence will command a big deal and won't be worth it, but he is a good ball player who would be a definate upgrade.
(1000th post woo:youpi-12:)

Last edited:
I guess it is unrealistic for us to hope for a BIG FA signing such as Samuel or Trufant.
That's depressing.

I do not see Trufant leaving Seattle (obivous 1st choice for everyone if we could land him) and I dont think Samuel's is worth the price tag he wants. That was shown last night; he is not a shut down corner IMO.

Pass on both. I too saw Drayton Florence today. There's a reason he's a backup.

D. Florence had a great season last year as a starter and now he is adjusting to covering the slot. It is a big difference in being the nickle corner and the starter. He also did not look bad today IMO. If you were watching he actually tipped the pass away for Clark to save the win...If you are counting the TD pass to A. Gonzales on him you are wrong, they were in cover 2 then and saftey did not get over in time.

I would love to see both of them signed, might pass on Drayton and go with someone younger like Jaques Reeves, but still would be happy with Drayton. If we can get Drayton, Gay and Corey Williams I think it would really sure up our defense and leave us with enough left to sign someone like Alan Faneca.

I would love to see both of them signed, might pass on Drayton and go with someone younger like Jaques Reeves, but still would be happy with Drayton. If we can get Drayton, Gay and Corey Williams I think it would really sure up our defense and leave us with enough left to sign someone like Alan Faneca.

I've spoken to Dallas fans who swear Reeves is as bad as Jason David. No thanks.

I do not see Trufant leaving Seattle (obivous 1st choice for everyone if we could land him) and I dont think Samuel's is worth the price tag he wants. That was shown last night; he is not a shut down corner IMO.

I agree with you. He played his high school, college and pro football in Washington I believe. I say he stays home for a hometown discount.

After watching the Giants/ Cowboys game today, I would pass on Reeves also.

But lets face it guys, we are probably not going to answer all the needs this off season because there are too many. Hopefully David plays better next year (can't play much worse) and Young develops.

I would be highly surprised to see McKenzie him old self for various reasons (age, time of injury, etc) so we definitely need to bring in a FA but not many teams make a habit of letting top talent go. As to who the Saints FO will go for, well that's a crap shoot and we will just have to wait until FA, draft, and June cuts.

I was surfing the Chargers message boards...

Half of them, would be happy to see Florence gone. They say he makes 1 good play, and then comes back with a bad one or a bone-headed mistake. They also said his coverage is average but his hitting/tackle ability and run support is great

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom