Thoughts on Drayton Florence & Randall Gay in Black & Gold next year? (1 Viewer)

I was surfing the Chargers message boards...

Half of them, would be happy to see Florence gone. They say he makes 1 good play, and then comes back with a bad one or a bone-headed mistake. They also said his coverage is average but his hitting/tackle ability and run support is great

These are the same people who wanted to get rid of Brees after his injury. So if they are saying get rid of Florence,then lets get him.

does anyobdy know that we need a big name in the secondary not 2 people who dont even start we need to go after trufant(he said that he isnt giving them a hometown discount).

We are never going to have great CB's unless we start drafting them. The CB market is so slim that its literally 20 or so teams every year bidding for 1-2 players. That makes it almost impossible for us get a good CB through FA.

This year is even worse. The only CB that looks to hit the market (that is a big name) is Samuels, and he showed he is not a good man corner yesterday if you watched the game.

does anyobdy know that we need a big name in the secondary not 2 people who dont even start we need to go after trufant(he said that he isnt giving them a hometown discount).

....and Joe Horn said he would NEVER play for Atlanta. Don't buy the hype, he is just trying to get the biggest payday he can from where he wants to stay - at home.

Seattle has invested a lot in the CB position. They drafted Josh Wilson in the 2nd last year (their 1st pick as they didn't have a 1st because of the Deon Branch trade), Kelly Jennings in the 1st a year earlier. They also got good play from Jordan Babineaux this year, who saw a lot of time at CB. Seahawks have a lot of young bodies at CB and seem to be willing to let Trufant leave.

We will see but I wouldn't expect them to give up big money to keep him seeing who they have waiting in the wings to replace him.

It doesn't matter who they bring in, if the scheme does not become more physical with the receivers of the line we'll see the same results. IMHO

The saints allow receivers to run where ever they want when they need to bump the receiver off the route he wants to run. This makes the QB's job that much harder locating the receiver. The saints DB RARELY make any contact with the receivers in the first five yards.

We have heard everyone's opinion of their off season moves, some realistic, most not so realistic. I think we need two off season CB pick ups due to MM's injury. After seeing the playoff games last night and today I think D. Florence and R. Gay would be a great CB duo in N.O. next year. They are both URFA, they are both not starting on there current teams, and they have quality cover skills. We could get both of these guys this off season for a good price and they will start (If MM is not ready to go of course). This would allow us to draft Kenny Phillips with the 10th pick or LB/DL if a quality LB/DL pick is there. And think about a secondary of Drayton Florence, Kenny Phillips, Roman Harper, Randall Gay, and a healthy MM...Sounds like a major upgrade from this year. What are some thoughts? I think this is possible $$$ wise and personal wise but what does the saints nation think??????

I have been thinking and hoping for that exact scenario because I am not sold on the Saints breaking the bank for Samuels. I also hope they trade up with the Ravens at 8 to draft Sedrick Ellis.

I would say go after Florence, Gay or Webster, any combination of the 3, draft phillips and trade our 2nd for vilma and get randy starks

Last edited:
While I wouldn't mind Florence, but only as a # 2, I definitly don't want Gay. The Pats defensive scheme makes him "better" than what he is. Gay couldn't break the starting lineup at LSU, but now we want him as a starting cornerback on the Saints? While I wouldn't mind having him for depth, I don't want him any higher than a nickle back.

Doesn't really matter who our corners are if we can't get pass pressure on the QB. If you give a QB 5 seconds to survey the field, he's gonna find somone.

It doesn't matter who they bring in, if the scheme does not become more physical with the receivers of the line we'll see the same results. IMHO

The saints allow receivers to run where ever they want when they need to bump the receiver off the route he wants to run. This makes the QB's job that much harder locating the receiver. The saints DB RARELY make any contact with the receivers in the first five yards.

On second thought, It does not matter who they bring in if they do not not fix the huge gaping hole behind the DL. If you read the stats for MLB one could literally say the saints played the whole season 10 against 11 because there was no MLB.

I wouldn't want any of the Patriots DB's....I mean it is obvious that no matter who they plug in that their secondary will work, so it has to be the system not the players...i mean they put Troy Brown in their and he did quite well....I dont think Asante Samuels is as good as his hype, and I def do not want someone like Gay or Florence...they arent starting CB material...we just invest all of our money into Nnamdi Asomugha this offseason...he is a BEAST!!!!!....draft a MLB.....

Nnamdi Asomugha will be franchise or be resigned, no way the raiders let him go.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom