Thoughts on Jimmy Graham (if he is released by Green Bay) (1 Viewer)

dutar76

3rd Year Pro
Reaction score
Sticky Post
The most pressing need we have this offseason is a move TE. We have Josh Hill who is everything you could want in a #2 TE, but not a legit weapon at the position. We also have the UDFA WR turned TE Dan Arnold. Those are the only two TEs we have on roster, so we will have to either go fishing in free agency, the draft, or both.

There's some decent FA names being thrown around like Cook, Uzomah, Eifert, et. al. with Cook likely being the best of the group and therefore likely costing the most. One issue I have with any of these guys is that there's no familiarity with Drew. We need a TE that can get open FAST and with the size and hands to "be open even when he's not open". The other key factor is Drew's trust. Drew has been very selective doling out his targets. Anybody we bring in would have a very short amount of time to win Drew over and earn a legit receiving role in our offense. (this is just me spit-balling)

There's been rumors that Green Bay may be ready to cut ties with Jimmy Graham. If this happens, he would likely cost less than several of the top FA TEs. There is already a history between him and Drew, and he cut his teeth learning Sean Paytons offense. Although our offense has greatly changed, I'd think he still has less a learning curve than other TEs we could bring in.

Now Jimmy G is not 2011 Jimmy G... and I'm sure there are reasons he didn't work out in Green Bay. But what do you guys think about bringing him back in on a one year deal along with another younger TE via free agency or the draft? He would not be Gronk, Kelce, or Ertz. I get that. But he might be a good guy to have for a year while we polish a young guy for the future.

All this of course if he is released, his health checks out, and the price is right.

MLU

Please respect my decision!
Reaction score
The latest I read was the Packers intend to keep Graham for the 2019 season. The Saints will address this need, I'm hoping we draft a young guy. Saints are great at getting some great talent in the later rounds of drafts. Hopefully that can be the case this year.

I personally like Noah Fant out of Iowa, but highly doubt he will be there when we pick at # 62 in the second round.
He is probably the first one taken, but that just depends on the team. Hockensen is also a fantastic TE. He's a much better blocker than Fant, who is a physical freak. He should win the Combine for TEs.

Fant, Hockensen and Irv Smith Jr will almost certainly be gone. Jace Sternberg, Isaac Nauta, Kaden Smith, Josh Oliver and Dax Raymond are guys with will probably still be there at the bottom of the 2nd. Of those guys, I like Sternberger the best. He is a big play guy with serious YAC skills. Seems like he was good for a couple 20+ yard catches every game and he was money in the red zone. He's still developing his route tree though, but man is he a quick accelerator for a guy that big. All of these guys were pretty good, although Dax Raymond spent a lot of time hurt. Josh Oliver is probably the only real blocker of that group. He plays tough like Jeremy Shockey.

tigerrealm

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
A BIG NO!!!
That ship has sailed, he's not the same Jimmy as he was early in his career, why do youll think the deal was made when it was?

Reaction score
Graham is far removed from his glory days. Don't expect much more than Watson's production without the blocking. I'm not against it, the price and expectations just need to be set low.

Reaction score
He is probably the first one taken, but that just depends on the team. Hockensen is also a fantastic TE. He's a much better blocker than Fant, who is a physical freak. He should win the Combine for TEs.

Fant, Hockensen and Irv Smith Jr will almost certainly be gone. Jace Sternberg, Isaac Nauta, Kaden Smith, Josh Oliver and Dax Raymond are guys with will probably still be there at the bottom of the 2nd. Of those guys, I like Sternberger the best. He is a big play guy with serious YAC skills. Seems like he was good for a couple 20+ yard catches every game and he was money in the red zone. He's still developing his route tree though, but man is he a quick accelerator for a guy that big. All of these guys were pretty good, although Dax Raymond spent a lot of time hurt. Josh Oliver is probably the only real blocker of that group. He plays tough like Jeremy Shockey.
Agreed. I really like Sternberg's potential. Good size and good athlete. Just needs some work. I do think they need to address TE in FA somehow. Just so we're not locked into need positions come draft time.

crawfish2010

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I would try to sign him to one of those Loomi$ special salary cap friendly/ incentive laden/prove me contracts. The Saints should still try to draft or acquire a young TE. Remember they had Jeremy Shockey when Jimmy Graham was drafted.

Treybad

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Thought GB picked up an option on him already? Might be wrong but if so why pick it up then release him...

Think JG can produce here but I sure as hell dont want to pay him what he been getting to get him here...

Reaction score
Agreed. I really like Sternberg's potential. Good size and good athlete. Just needs some work. I do think they need to address TE in FA somehow. Just so we're not locked into need positions come draft time.
I would love for us to pick up Sternberger. We don’t call him “Baby Gronk” around our house for nothing. He has a lot of potential and is strong. As an Aggie, I’m sad he’s leaving before a 4th year, but I would be consoled if thevSaints pick him up.

AARPSaint

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Not a fan. We were very fortunate Watson was not a liability at his age, and I know about being old. :hihi: They should get a TE in both free agency and the draft if possible.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Nightshade Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 17