Thoughts on Jimmy Graham (if he is released by Green Bay) (1 Viewer)

dutar76

3rd Year Pro
Reaction score
Sticky Post
The most pressing need we have this offseason is a move TE. We have Josh Hill who is everything you could want in a #2 TE, but not a legit weapon at the position. We also have the UDFA WR turned TE Dan Arnold. Those are the only two TEs we have on roster, so we will have to either go fishing in free agency, the draft, or both.

There's some decent FA names being thrown around like Cook, Uzomah, Eifert, et. al. with Cook likely being the best of the group and therefore likely costing the most. One issue I have with any of these guys is that there's no familiarity with Drew. We need a TE that can get open FAST and with the size and hands to "be open even when he's not open". The other key factor is Drew's trust. Drew has been very selective doling out his targets. Anybody we bring in would have a very short amount of time to win Drew over and earn a legit receiving role in our offense. (this is just me spit-balling)

There's been rumors that Green Bay may be ready to cut ties with Jimmy Graham. If this happens, he would likely cost less than several of the top FA TEs. There is already a history between him and Drew, and he cut his teeth learning Sean Paytons offense. Although our offense has greatly changed, I'd think he still has less a learning curve than other TEs we could bring in.

Now Jimmy G is not 2011 Jimmy G... and I'm sure there are reasons he didn't work out in Green Bay. But what do you guys think about bringing him back in on a one year deal along with another younger TE via free agency or the draft? He would not be Gronk, Kelce, or Ertz. I get that. But he might be a good guy to have for a year while we polish a young guy for the future.

All this of course if he is released, his health checks out, and the price is right.

livefromDC

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
It takes two to tango and last year Jimmy wanted to tango his way up to Green Bay. Can't say that I blame him because the money the Packers offered was absurd.

Now if he is available and if the price is right I can get behind it. Fences have been mended and time heals old wounds. I'd love to see Jimmy in the black and gold again. If he's even half the player he once was then he could roll out of bed tomorrow morning and be the best TE on our roster.

Of course Jimmy isn't in his prime anymore but it's hard for me to believe that he wouldn't have success as a 3rd option in the passing game. Michael Thomas can't be guarded by traditional means and Alvin Kamara is one of the most dynamic players in the league. Throw Jimmy Graham in the mix and the mismatches would be too much to overcome for any defense.
Exactly. He doesn't have to be all world Jimmy. He just needs to be a competent reliable option. We sorely missed that.

Bartyboy

60's Saints fan
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
He still can't block
But seriously there are better younger TEs that will be FA.
Cheaper as well.

TribuneUK

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
He still can't block
Cheaper as well.
Stop talking so much sense. Armchair scouts only looking at past production liable to be highly disappointed.

jarrod74

I may be canadian but my heart is in the Big Easy
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Nope to much of a me before the team guy he had his chance here there was a reason he was traded.

la. champ1

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
I'd absolutely welcome Jimmy Graham back this offseason. It fills a need and I think he can still perform at a high level in this offense. Adding Jimmy would allow us to avoid overpaying for a Free Agent TE and allow us to truly take BPA with our 2nd Round pick (which I still hope is the right TE)

I don't think he's done in Green Bay, though. I'm sure the new coach is going to want to maintain as many weapons as possible unless they draft a TE they think is ready to go.
We would still need to get younger and more physically talented at that position. Graham isnt half of what he was years ago when he was here. He could be useful as an added TE receiving threat, but not in the category of sign him and we are set at TE.

BooBirdSaint

Super Forum Fanatic
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I'm curious why some would believe JG would come here on a one year vet minimum deal? He's only one year removed from a 30 million 3 year deal (of which he's already banked like 22 million in guaranteed and signing bonus). If and a big if he's released (7 million dead money hit for the Pack in 19 - zero the season after) I just don't see him taking much less. I'm betting that the Saint already went that route (one year deal w team option) but were out bid by a team offering 3 years and a dump truck of guaranteed money. I say we look at other options. While FA isn't cram packed with talent (Jessie James likely the best of the bunch) so maybe a trade? However, I'm thinking we'll address our needs in the draft.

shaihulud

East Jefferson High, 1967
Reaction score
Graham is already paid more than his production warrants. Do you think he's going to take a pay cut AND play for the Saints? That much 'crow' he'll never eat.

SaintsFanInLA

BREES SMASH!!
Reaction score
People saying no would change their minds on the very first huge JG gain or TD. Jimmy left and badmouthed the city and the organization but I personally couldn't care any less, especially if he can help us win. Even with KNOWING that MT is our go-to guy, and focusing on stopping him, we still did enough to make it to the SB (assuming the refs make that obvious call). But imagine JG just being good enough to open the field and force coverage off of MT and AK. It would be ridiculous. I think at the VERY least you'd have to entertain the idea.

blackadder

...from a chicken, bugwit
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
He still can't block
Cheaper as well.
Look at the trend line on production, games played, injuries, TDs...

Best days behind him and it would have to be a very favorable deal. But generally I think the bridge is burned anyway.

SWAMP_THING

All-Pro
Reaction score
If I'm the Saints turned sinners I make dunking the goal post legal again, bring him in just to dunk the goal post all game every game..that's all the benefit I see now pffft

TribuneUK

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
But imagine JG just being good enough to open the field and force coverage off of MT and AK. It would be ridiculous. I think at the VERY least you'd have to entertain the idea.
You'd have to imagine it, because in no way will that fever dream be happening in reality. Jimmy done got broke up. It's a reality of playing in the NFL, no one wins championships by living in the past.

CowtownSaint

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
I think it would be good to bring him in. He went with the money and by now its obvious that his success was more a product of our system using him the right way than his overall talent. The guy as been a non factor since leaving the Saints imo. If we can bring him in, I believe he would be the best fit of any TE options we have. We dont need him to be dominant but he would be an instant upgrade for our redzone offence as he can still use his body to go out and get the ball. All emotions aside, with how we went out this year, I think we need to try and load up and get after it while we still have Drew. Past is the past.

OP
OP
dutar76

dutar76

3rd Year Pro
Reaction score
Well folks, it's all academic anyway. As stated earlier in this thread, it looks like Jimmy will be staying with the cheeseheads.

Were going to have to look elsewhere for TEs. I like a couple of the FAs available that appear to be in our price range. Also, theres a few good prospects that could be available when we finally get to our turn in the draft.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
dutar76 Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 4

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Saints Headlines (Official Site)

Top Bottom