Thoughts on Jimmy Graham (if he is released by Green Bay) (1 Viewer)

dutar76

7th year itch
Reaction score
The most pressing need we have this offseason is a move TE. We have Josh Hill who is everything you could want in a #2 TE, but not a legit weapon at the position. We also have the UDFA WR turned TE Dan Arnold. Those are the only two TEs we have on roster, so we will have to either go fishing in free agency, the draft, or both.

There's some decent FA names being thrown around like Cook, Uzomah, Eifert, et. al. with Cook likely being the best of the group and therefore likely costing the most. One issue I have with any of these guys is that there's no familiarity with Drew. We need a TE that can get open FAST and with the size and hands to "be open even when he's not open". The other key factor is Drew's trust. Drew has been very selective doling out his targets. Anybody we bring in would have a very short amount of time to win Drew over and earn a legit receiving role in our offense. (this is just me spit-balling)

There's been rumors that Green Bay may be ready to cut ties with Jimmy Graham. If this happens, he would likely cost less than several of the top FA TEs. There is already a history between him and Drew, and he cut his teeth learning Sean Paytons offense. Although our offense has greatly changed, I'd think he still has less a learning curve than other TEs we could bring in.

Now Jimmy G is not 2011 Jimmy G... and I'm sure there are reasons he didn't work out in Green Bay. But what do you guys think about bringing him back in on a one year deal along with another younger TE via free agency or the draft? He would not be Gronk, Kelce, or Ertz. I get that. But he might be a good guy to have for a year while we polish a young guy for the future.

All this of course if he is released, his health checks out, and the price is right.

I'd absolutely welcome Jimmy Graham back this offseason. It fills a need and I think he can still perform at a high level in this offense. Adding Jimmy would allow us to avoid overpaying for a Free Agent TE and allow us to truly take BPA with our 2nd Round pick (which I still hope is the right TE)

I don't think he's done in Green Bay, though. I'm sure the new coach is going to want to maintain as many weapons as possible unless they draft a TE they think is ready to go.

Hellye, bring Jimmy back! Sean Payton created him, and he can recreate him. Said in another thread, that I thought Seattle and GB didnt use Jimmy to his strength, which is as a move TE/jumbo slot WR. The last few seasons, this one particular, had Jimmy looking like he was done. Hopefully he and his agent have been humbled enough to know that he's no longer the force he once was. Jimmy should take the paycut and come back home and a win Super Bowl.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom