Thoughts on the avg. Falcon / Buccaneer fan (1 Viewer)

ndcc

Saints' fan 4ever
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sad to leave NOLA to AZ; going into ministry
My current job (driving I-10/US 98 from Mobile to Tallahassee) is calling on about 400 businesses per month. When I run into Falcon fans, and they happen to find out that I'm Saints fan, they put on a smug smirk and tell me how "the aints are lucky so far." Or, they brag on how the Falcons have made it to the Superbowl, and the Saints haven't (...or similar yada, yada, yada).

When I run into Buccaneer fans, they smile and say something like "good game," or "your team is really putting it together this year," or something along that line.

It's just my opinion, but I sense that the Tampa fans have a brotherly kinship towards New Orleans because their franchise went through TOUGH early years. John McKay's teams were the laughingstock of the NFL in the beginning. But eventually, they turned it around. And in not too long a period of time, they were in the NFC Championship game. Tampa fans know how it feels to be laughed at, and also know how to appreciate success.

Because of that, they aren't smug (by and large), and they are good sports WIN or LOSE. They don't gloat after a win; they usually don't whine after a loss.

I know that there are good fans for each team in the NFL. We've witnessed that this season with some Ravens' and Eagles' (and even Falcons') fans.

Again, BUCS fans are great fans (more often than not).

But the average Falcons fan ...well :16:

JMHO.

My current job (driving I-10/US 98 from Mobile to Tallahassee) is calling on about 400 businesses per month. When I run into Falcon fans, and they happen to find out that I'm Saints fan, they put on a smug smirk and tell me how "the aints are lucky so far." Or, they brag on how the Falcons have made it to the Superbowl, and the Saints haven't (...or similar yada, yada, yada).

When I run into Buccaneer fans, they smile and say something like "good game," or "your team is really putting it together this year," or something along that line.

Again, BUCS fans are great fans (more often than not).

But the average Falcons fan ...well :16:

JMHO.

It's not just you. The average Bucs fan is very knowledgeable and interested in the game. The average Falcons fan knows nothing more of the game than Michael Vick. Sad but true.

While generalizations can be dangerous....

.....I think you're on to something. :hihi:

We DO seem to get some really knowledgable Falcons fans on SSF, though, so make sure we at least acknowledge them decently while we're pointing out the foibles of the other ones.

While generalizations can be dangerous....

.....I think you're on to something. :hihi:

We DO seem to get some really knowledgable Falcons fans on SSF, though, so make sure we at least acknowledge them decently while we're pointing out the foibles of the other ones.

Acknowledge decent Falcons' fans? Sure. Here's my quote:

...I know that there are good fans for each team in the NFL. We've witnessed that this season with some Ravens' and Eagles' (and even Falcons') fans.

Last edited:
good observation, i went down to the bucs game and wore my Brees jersey right up in the middle of the Bucs fans, Other than a few good natured jabs they were a great bunch of people before during and after the game, can't say enough goo things about them.

I even stood up and booed their offense with them and they thought that was pretty funny

Falcon fans amaze me, they have a debate going on at their board that Manning and Vick are in the same league. I say OBSURD!! Not even close, that is like us saying Horn is/was on the same level as Jerry Rice.

If the saints won the superbowl, i wonder what excuse they'd have left.

Carolina Panthers fans are pretty cool, too.

It's perfect, IMO, having two of the three teams in our division have good fans.

If all three were good and deserving fan bases, who would we hate?

If the saints won the superbowl, i wonder what excuse they'd have left.

"The game is rigged."

For the different reactions, I like to point out that many Bucs' fans really appreciate the knee play and thus they response in kind. For the Falcons however, the team is still in the division chase so their fans could get more competitive.

you hear media types talk about Atlanta sports fans being the worst across all sports

the other day (think it was PTI but with bob ryan) they were talking about Home Feild Adv. in the nfl (topic was radios in linemen helments) and they threw out a few stadiums that were said to be noisy (dome not one they named) but they did state it like - "in some stadiums its really loud, unlike falcoms stadium (or falcons games some wording like that)

I guess what iritate me most about Atlanta, in general, is that they think they don't have a tradition of losing. The NFC South does't have one Super Bowl victory and only two appearances in the last decade. The Saints and Falcons have the worse winning % over their franchise history than any other team, and the Bucs aren't far behind (or ahead).

Furthermore, they were RED and BLACK,... the color of Satan. :scratch:

I've lived in Tampa for the last 5 years and in my experience I find them to be sore winners and sore losers and they DO NOT respect the Saints. I was at the game on Sunday and no one gave me a hard time about my Saints t shirt but that's because we were winning.

I guess what iritate me most about Atlanta, in general, is that they think they don't have a tradition of losing. The NFC South does't have one Super Bowl victory and only two appearances in the last decade. The Saints and Falcons have the worse winning % over their franchise history than any other team, and the Bucs aren't far behind (or ahead).

Furthermore, they were RED and BLACK,... the color of Satan. :scratch:

St. Pike - the NFC South actually does have one Superbowl victory - the thrashing of the Raiders at the hands of the Bucs in 2003. This actually started the decline of the Raiders as they have yet to put together a winning season after that.

Anyway, there are good and bad fans for each organization, but I hear what you guys are saying. The Bucs' fans have been more gracious and easier to converse with as opposed to the Falcons'. I find many Panthers' fans to be arrogrant and condescending, but that's just me.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom