Thoughts on the new media push to discredit Brees's MVP pursuit : MVP is not a lifetime achievement award (1 Viewer)

Taker597

Hall-of-Famer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
This is really scummy narrative. Brees owning every category except yards and TD.

I'm done. Let Mahomes win the cursed MVP and I'll be happy with Brees winning his 2nd Superbowl MVP. It probably fire up the locker room idlc he gets snubbed anyways.

Who have you heard say it today?

If he breaks the QB rating record, it's his.

Who’s this all? A lot of the discussions I’ve seen have been either balanced or complimentary to Brees.

Beware the YouTube algorithm. If it thinks you like watching videos discrediting Brees you are more likely to be served more of those videos.

MVP is not a lifetime award. It is a popularity/narrative contest (the narrative being, who the sportswriters want to hype that particular year). Why even care?

I have seen some of these arguments myself. I agree with them and I am sure Drew would also agree in that he wants to earn it and not have it given to him just because he does not have one! I think his play alone will get it but he would be just as happy with the Super Bowl MVP!

the Super Bowl MVP!

That's another one: the default MVP of the game is the winning QB. It takes an Herculean effort from a non-QB to win it, and it is still affected by the player's popularity meter.

driving in listening to the 2:00 Drill on NFLN it started with the Bears/Vikes call of int for TD.

Narrator then went to Saints/Eagles and he says "Saints beat Eagles as Drew throws for 4tds and 363 yards....JUST ANOTHER DAY FOR HIM"

Thats the narrative that gets me. Its treated as "ho hum" just another Drew workman like performance. Its being discounted.

I was thinking the Brees MVP talk has been picking up a lot of steam the past few weeks. I've heard national talking heads call him the front runner. Can't recall who but I heard it.

I keep thinking that there is just no way Mahomes can keep up this pace but the man has 31 TDs before Thanksgiving and he'll add to that tonight. That's just absurd lol. 31 TDs is a good season .

Almost everyone is saying he's the MVP in the media.

And he will be as long as he's even within 10 TDs of Mahommes because everything else he's doing is so much more impressive than what Mahommes is doing. Completion %, one (!) turnover all year, etc.

I've noticed people are starting to convert to Brees. It's gonna take a contrarian effort to support anyone else after this week. Especially after what may be a Mahomes suppression by the Rams front 4.

We saw what a pass rush can do to a good QB yesterday vs Wentz.

MVP is not a lifetime award. It is a popularity/narrative contest (the narrative being, who the sportswriters want to hype that particular year). Why even care?

The MVP isn’t even a good popularity contest. If the MVP went to the real most valuable player, it would go to offensive tackles and defensive ends about a third of the time.

The first time Brees should have gotten it and didn’t was when he set the passing yards record. This time he will probably set the completion rate percentage record. So the first time they were saying there is more to being a top player then putting up huge numbers. This time they will say huge numbers matter more than efficiency.

To me, completing 75% of his passes is incredible. It means that a pass play is as safe as a running play in short yardage situations. That turns the game inside out, means there is no such thing as down and distance. Pass on 3rd and 9, pass on 3rd and inches, doesn’t matter.

Brees has changed the way the game is played and will change the way teams draft for years to come. That’s MVP.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom