Thread regarding taysom contract this year and going forward (1 Viewer)

he needs to play way more on offense, like a full time starter at a position, whether its a combo of TE QB RB WR, he needs to be on the field for 80% of the time

I think the contract is primarily constructed to provide financial security and make him more comfortable in the utility role, while still dangling a really lucrative incentive if he puts in the work to improve at QB enough to ever win the starting job outright. No matter what the future holds for him now, he’s rewarded with a nice deal that honors what he means to this team and his unique contributions and the flexibility he brings to the roster.

I expect we are going to start seeing a lot more of him in every facet where he can contribute.

Pretty close to what Spotrac has except that they aren't showing the 2022 Roster Bonus. Instead they show a $10.1M salary that I assume will be converted to $1.1M Salary and $9M signing bonus in the off season. It works the same either way though.

I get the cap part and Nick suggested the 10 mil base may have come from a TE contract model but I still don't get the timing. He's under contract so it's not like someone could sign him away if that's the team's concern.
I think it was On Further Review that they said if he starts an individual game at QB and throws X passes in that game and we win the game he gets something approaching a million. The contract details that are circulating all appear to be seasonal incentives and if you add them all up don't come anywhere near to the $55 million being quoted.

If what I heard is true the whole package makes more sense. As this year there is a reasonable chance he might play games as a backup starter in the next 4 years and a per-game incentive works for Taysom. And in the odd event, he matures into a full-time starter as a result everything is in place.

I am assuming he is still hobbled otherwise I don't see why he remains benched. At some point, they are going to start Taysom this year.

It isn't all on TS but 0 & 4 signals it's time to shake things up.

I'm not the best numbers guy, so that would be to much money to eat. Then this has to be the strangest contract I have ever seen, when the QB3 on the team w/ only 4 career starts, has escalators in his contract to $95 mill. But, is risked on special teams. Why this contract? I don't get it.

A 19 million dollar dead cap hit says he's not getting traded
He actually has a good point on a trade. I don't know if they want to trade or keep him, but a trade would reduce his cap hit by 3 million dollars as currently structured. The 19 million dollar dead cap is for cutting him. Trading him puts the 2022 salary on the new team resulting in only 9 million dead cap offset by a 12 million dollar projected cap. If they keep him they will have to convert most of his 10 million dollar salary to bonus in 2022 to make the 2022 cap. Therefore it does look like they structured the deal to make trading him an option. Otherwise the contract would have been written with a low salary and bigger bonus.

He actually has a good point on a trade. I don't know if they want to trade or keep him, but a trade would reduce his cap hit by 3 million dollars as currently structured. The 19 million dollar dead cap is for cutting him. Trading him puts the 2022 salary on the new team resulting in only 9 million dead cap offset by a 12 million dollar projected cap. If they keep him they will have to convert most of his 10 million dollar salary to bonus in 2022 to make the 2022 cap. Therefore it does look like they structured the deal to make trading him an option. Otherwise the contract would have been written with a low salary and bigger bonus.
That is very interesting. It just seemed like a contract for a trade.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom