Three armed men broke into a gun enthusiast's home. The sheriff says he shot them one-by-one. (WWLTV article) (1 Viewer)

So what you’re saying is the cops are the only thing stopping you from blasting people now?
Lord have mercy. Thats what's wrong with the world now. People twist things to what they want it to say. No! I never ever want to shoot anyone. And me, I wouldn't shoot someone outside unless I'm threatened. Just saying no cops to call people may take things into their own hands. I was using an example. Jeez. You people are so uptight ready to pounce.

So I ask all yall that have a problem with my scenario. No cops. Someone is breaking into your property outside. Cant call nobody. You open the door. Uh hey young man. You cant steal my stuff. The response is Well what are you gonna do about it? What you gonna do? You gonna say ok well just make sure you shut the door when you are finished. Ok! Cant wait for these responses

Defund the police is not about getting rid of all cops. Why are we engaging in this discussion as if the initial defund reference was a valid perspective on the issue?

Here's an article for those that care about truth vs. alarmist propaganda.

Defund the police is not about getting rid of all cops. Why are we engaging in this discussion as if the initial defund reference was a valid perspective on the issue?

Here's an article for those that care about truth vs. alarmist propaganda.

I have at least one Facebook friend who thinks otherwise. She is libertarian, but one of those uncommon left libertarians.

The problem with a defund of city police, it doesn't stop individual communities from funding their own police departments, which is bound to happen. So the richer neighborhoods will be policed, and it would end up being much worse.

You also have the county sheriff's department, which in some localties also take on normal policing duties. I don't see how you can defend those guys and still have a functioning court system.

Lord have mercy. Thats what's wrong with the world now. People twist things to what they want it to say. No! I never ever want to shoot anyone. And me, I wouldn't shoot someone outside unless I'm threatened. Just saying no cops to call people may take things into their own hands. I was using an example. Jeez. You people are so uptight ready to pounce.

So I ask all yall that have a problem with my scenario. No cops. Someone is breaking into your property outside. Cant call nobody. You open the door. Uh hey young man. You cant steal my stuff. The response is Well what are you gonna do about it? What you gonna do? You gonna say ok well just make sure you shut the door when you are finished. Ok! Cant wait for these responses

I was just trying to figure out how that scenario is any different from now.

Either way, your fantasy scenario is besides the point really. Are you really trying to say we shouldn’t get rid of police? Because if that’s your point, I don’t understand what you’re so up in arms about.

I was just trying to figure out how that scenario is any different from now.

Either way, your fantasy scenario is besides the point really. Are you really trying to say we shouldn’t get rid of police? Because if that’s your point, I don’t understand what you’re so up in arms about.
I'm not up in arms about anything. Was just responding to people's responses to me. And no, I dont think we should abolish the police or defund them. Get rid of the bad apples, sure get them out.

I have at least one Facebook friend who thinks otherwise. She is libertarian, but one of those uncommon left libertarians.

The problem with a defund of city police, it doesn't stop individual communities from funding their own police departments, which is bound to happen. So the richer neighborhoods will be policed, and it would end up being much worse.

You also have the county sheriff's department, which in some localties also take on normal policing duties. I don't see how you can defend those guys and still have a functioning court system.

Individual communities can't afford militarized police forces which fosters the might makes right attitude in that small percentage of bad cops.

However, defunding police is about reducing police to the core activities, not eliminating them. They will still be there to respond to violent crime and robbery (like this story). What they won't be doing is responding to every minor disturbance like the video of the guy dancing in the street in Alameda. It gets them focused on their core mission, not all the peripheral stuff. The idea being the less times heavily armed militarized people are showing up to minor issues the less chance those calls get out of hand and end up with someone seriously hurt, or worse.

Then the money can be channeled into the community to help reduce the number of calls police get in the first place by providing better mental health programs, etc.

I'm not saying I advocate for defunding the police. I'm split on the subject and feel the militarized police force is a problem in this country, but also feel like we can cut too far in the other direction and take too much responsibility away from them. However, like many things, I think the two sides are having a debate that is apples and cumquats because defunding police does not mean getting rid of police (just like gun reform isn't taking all your guns). If we are going to debate it lets debate the reality (I know how silly that request is in 2020 America, but still).

Individual communities can't afford militarized police forces which fosters the might makes right attitude in that small percentage of bad cops.

They don't have to be that well funded to be in effect "militarized". Even your average middle class neighborhood would be able to afford a small number of full-time or part-time "security oficers" through things like homeowner's associations fees. Or even semi-voluntary contributions, like a form of insurance (Pay up or we're not responding to your calls). Add to that then you have volunteers /deputies / neighborhood watch. It would be like a form of private security. Think George Zimmerman, and those nutcases in Georgia. There would be no enforcement of standards of training. You want thousands of those bozos running around, because city / state police disbanded ?

You shoot them dead in the shed and you better drag their ***** inside and plant a weapon on them. Shooting an intruder in Maryland must be in self defense, though a jury is unlikely to bring charges if someone breaks into your house while you and your family are home and you shoot the intruder.

I have a Remington 1100 (1974 model) and a S&W .38. Just saying.

agreed, some of the responses are laughable. My weapon is a de plugged sawed sawed off 12 gauge mossberg loaded
with rock salt. It won't kill an intruder, but they'll wish they were dead

They don't have to be that well funded to be in effect "militarized". Even your average middle class neighborhood would be able to afford a small number of full-time or part-time "security oficers" through things like homeowner's associations fees. Or even semi-voluntary contributions, like a form of insurance (Pay up or we're not responding to your calls). Add to that then you have volunteers /deputies / neighborhood watch. It would be like a form of private security. Think George Zimmerman, and those nutcases in Georgia. There would be no enforcement of standards of training. You want thousands of those bozos running around, because city / state police disbanded ?

I think you're missing the point that the goal isn't to disband city or state police. That's not going to happen. We are kind of talking past each other on that issue.

As to militarization, that is expensive. The weapons, gear, heavy vehicles etc. cost millions. Existing small-town police forces aren't militarized because they can afford it. You only see this in large cities and urban areas. You're not militarizing anything off HOA dues. We can't even get a decent park from our HOA fees, much less an APC, flash-bang grenades, and night vision goggles.

agreed, some of the responses are laughable. My weapon is a de plugged sawed sawed off 12 gauge mossberg loaded
with rock salt. It won't kill an intruder, but they'll wish they were dead
The semi-automatic Remington has a 5-shot magazine and is loaded with alternating double-aught buck and deer slugs. It puts a lot of lead in the air.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom