Three WWII Questions... (2 Viewers)

That was exactly the question.

Can you imagine the reactions in the USA today if we had to take our Youth, draft them and send them over seas against a foreign enemy. Plant Victory Gardens, Food Rationing, Gasoline Rationing. Turning sewing machine factories into gun factories.

American today is so politically correct it is amazing. We protest over the most stupidest of things. Fire Teachers and leaders over light hearted jokes on Facebook.

I view that it would be very difficult if we had to go against something that grew up in a Hitler Jugend lifestyle.

Great answers BTW, There are no right or wrong answers here. Only opinions.

My thoughts on Stalingrad. That Yes, I think that the Russians would have defeated the Germans alone. Just taken a little longer. Because at that time other than N. Africa, we had not set up any other fronts. Russia was fighting it alone. We Did not invade Italy until July 1943. Stalingrad fell in January 43'

The Air Campaign. I think it's a double sided coin here. It did not decrease production as it was first thought nor did it break German moral so therefore it did not do as it was expected to do. But on the other hand. It did keep luftwaffe fighters busy attacking bombers that could have been used fighting either the soviets or the allies and away from some main battle fronts.

Well firstly, when you have enemies THAT obviously bent on destruction, then no amount of perceived "political correctness" would hinder a 1940s type response from happening today. As a matter of fact, the response would even be stronger since you no longer have the "non-political correctness" of extreme racism in the U.S. that you had back then. So most ALL available talent and manpower is now available in greater number. You can thank "political correctness" for that.

Second, I attribute Stalingrad to a hard choice made by Stalin. He decided to pull his troops off his own eastern front despite the threat that he could be invaded there by Japan. He concentrated everything on the Germans in both Stalingrad and the oil fields further south. That strategic decision played an even higher correlation of Russia defeating Germany IMO.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom