[Thursday Update: Winston not at practice] Winston not at practice. Taysom Hill taking QB snaps today.[Update 2: Rehabing Back, Ankle & Hip] (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Taker597

Taker597

Hall-of-Famer
Staff member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
What has me dead is the Saints passed on Doug Pederson for Allen and Carmichael.
DA don't mind me too much... But let's look at that OC search. It was a complete joke.

Interview
Scottie Montgomery(Indy RB coach)
Jay Gruden (Certified bum)
Kentucky Wildcats offensive coordinator Liam Coen
Dallas Cowboys WR coach Robert Prince

Then, you hire Pete.

People try to talk wiping away DA history with the Raiders when he pulled the same mistake he did there. He has little to no idea on how to hire coaches on the offensive side of the ball.

Just a very lackluster list of names.

DavidM

Admin Emeritus
Administrator
VIP Contributor
Reaction score

ilvdsnts

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
True, but even with that 57 yard run taken into consideration it seems like we've had way more of his runs be snuffed out instantly resulting in 3-5 yard losses and killing the drive on the spot since 3rd and long is a death sentence for him.
Not sure if you are watching the same game, but TH has had 7 carries for 95 yards for an average of 13.57 yards per run. Take out that 57 yarder and add in his 1 catch for 2 yards you now have 7 touches for 40 yards for an avg of 5.7 per touch. Not seeing how you call that getting "snuffed out instantly".

Dallas_Saint73

Squat, Bench, Deadlift.
Reaction score
Well, Dennis Allen is making bad veteran coaching mistakes.

I mean triple reverse Sean Payton was a rough moment, but playing a hurt QB is eregious.

This is Dennis Allen 4th or 5th year as a head coach... The standard has to be higher than a rookie coach.
I agree. Playing a hurt player makes absolutely no sense.
I like McDaniel and thought he was one of the most intriguing HC candidate this offseason and think you laid out a solid alternate scenario.

I'm curious, though, if it was the Saints who didn't show him any interest or if it was the other way around? Is that known? Regardless, not sure how easy it would have been to land McDaniel since we know Miami was interested enough to offer him the job, so at the least, there would have been competition for him. Not sure the Saints win out in that scenario. Two QBs rehabbing from season-ending injuries and Ian Book, a star receiver who'd missed all of last season and parts of the prior season, a star running back facing felony charges, a looming vacancy at LT, a rookie QB class generally regarded as weak at the top, and cap issues to work through. Honestly not sure how attractive the Saints opening would have been among coaching candidates, particularly offensive minded ones.
I "think" that I read a while back that we did not express interest. We had an opp to bring him in for an interview and did not.

Could have been a mutual feeling though as you have said. Maybe he didn't see the same potential as he did in MIA.

ilvdsnts

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
It was even said during the game last week that Winston said the back is affecting is plant foot. I mean it's kinda clear. The dude was hitting those deep shots last year and now he's not even close.
It was also said at one point by one of the announcers, "Something is not right with Winston"
1664476793816.png

DavidM

Admin Emeritus
Administrator
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I "think" that I read a while back that we did not express interest. We had an opp to bring him in for an interview and did not.

Could have been a mutual feeling though as you have said. Maybe he didn't see the same potential as he did in MIA.

Certainly possible the Saints weren't interested. I know it's been assumed to be the case. From an historical standpoint, we at least know where Loomis stands on hiring a young offensive coordinator as a first time head coach. ;) Still, it's possible that he didn't consider McDaniel with the same regard as Payton all those years ago.

Saint Lattimore

Hall of Shamer
Reaction score
Also, Schefter reported Pederson was taking the Jags job four days before Allen was announced. Pederson had interviewed with several teams, including the Saints, Jaguars, Bears, and Broncos.

That speaks directly to what Pederson thought of the Jags QB situation compared to that of the Saints.
Pederson knew he had Lawrence to build around, and no matter what everything else looked like, that’s a more appealing option than a bust QB who got multiple HCs fired before he was replaced and chased…

🤦‍♂️

SoggyBottomBoy

I'm with you fellers.
Staff member
Administrator
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
That speaks directly to what Pederson thought of the Jags QB situation compared to that of the Saints.
Pederson knew he had Lawrence to build around, and no matter what everything else looked like, that’s a more appealing option than a bust QB who got multiple HCs fired before he was replaced and chased…

🤦‍♂️
Pederson would have had the option to bring in or trade for the QB he was interested in. If you're going to continue to pursue the anti-Winston angle, at least get the timelines in order.

OP
OP
Taker597

Taker597

Hall-of-Famer
Staff member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Pederson would have had the option to bring in or trade for the QB he was interested. If you're going to continue to pursue the anti-Winston angle, at least get the timelines in order.
Or lying...

Winston got multiple head coaches fired?

Dirk Koetter and Lovie Smith... 1st off... Lovie Smith got fired because they was afraid Dirk was gonna get snatched up.

Dirk got fired because he wasn't a good head coach.

DavidM

Admin Emeritus
Administrator
VIP Contributor
Reaction score

🤦‍♂️

Well, sure, I would think that was part of it. Lawrence is a second year QB, in a bad situation last season, so he comes with a great deal more promise and benefit of the doubt. I don't think anybody would really argue that. Conversely, Winston comes with a much greater amount of uncertainty.

In a previous post, I had made a case for why the Saints might not have been an attractive option to McDaniel, and other offensive minded coaches, so possibly Pederson, too, going well beyond the QB position.

BayouSAINTJoe

YOU HAVE NO MARBLES!!!!!
Reaction score
Or Pederson passed on the Saints.
Entirely possible because IIRC we were hiring/promoting coordinators before we announced the HC. Why would any HC come into a situation where his staff was filled prior to him signing on.

Which confirms the "search" was a sham and it was going to be DA all along.

Saint Lattimore

Hall of Shamer
Reaction score
Well, sure, I would absolutely think that was part of it. Lawrence is a second year QB, in a bad situation last season, so he comes with a great deal more promise and benefit of the doubt. I don't think anybody would really argue that. Conversely, Winston comes with a much greater amount of uncertainty.

In a previous post, I had made a case for why the Saints might not have been an attractive option to McDaniel, and other offensive minded coaches, so possibly Pederson, too, going well beyond the QB position.
The Saints weren’t attractive to any HC candidates because they had no QB and what was overwhelmingly perceived as a terrible cap situation! The Saints didn’t choose DA, they settled for him.

Now we know why.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom