Tiger Woods involved in car accident, in surgery with 'multiple leg injuries' (1 Viewer)

It was a Genesis GV80(?) i think.. Tiger was lent it for the week.. it even said “Genesis Invitational” or whatever the event was, on the sides of the vehicle.. Sounds to me like the carmaker wont get much bad press since officers on the scene have stated that, in most accidents this severe, the occupants dont survive the accident.

I'm 100% convinced if Tiger had not been buckled up, we'd be talking memorial services and funeral.

I'm 100% convinced if Tiger had not been buckled up, we'd be talking memorial services and funeral.

That’s pretty much the case in almost every accident, i think.. Personally, i would have been an orphan by the time i was 12 years old if not for seatbelts.. my divorced parents were each in separate accidents in the mid 80s in which their lives were saved by seatbelts.. In my father’s case, it rendered him paraplegic, but at least he lived.. So I’ve been a proponent of seatbelt wearing for a long, long time.. and i honestly dont remember getting into a car without buckling up in 3 or 4 decades.

Pretty sure one of the news anchors stated it was a Genesis suv.

As for what it was supposed to do, it sure looked like it. The front was smashed badly, and it looks like the engine did was it was supposed to, which is get pushed under the cabin rather than pushed into it. The cabin looked pretty much intact, which seems pretty impressive after rolling over supposedly several times. Airbags did their job it looks like.

Broken legs and shattered ankle isn't surprising. I actually think the car got airborne and flipped end over end. I didn't see a ton of damage to the doors and roof, so I don't think it was a classic barrel roll. Until they do a full investigation we won't really know.

I'm 100% sure he was speeding. The question is, how fast? My complete in the dark guess is 70 mph. Too fast on a downhill sloping curve in what appears to be a 40-45 mph zone. I don't know the road/area, so the speeds could be higher.
Discussed on CBS radio tonight. The accident occured in an area where accidents are common. Speeding on a downhill grade was likely the culprit

Just for some context, Woods was apparently staying at the Terrenea resort, where i attended a friend’s wedding circa ten yrs ago when it had just opened.. it has spectacular views on a cliffside, and that whole area - Rolling Hills, Rancho Palos Verdes (RPV), is only about a 45 min drive from Hollywood, but might as well be a world away- it has a totally different feel, and is much more Orange County-like.

Also, if i’m not mistaken, it’s the same area where tennis great Pete Sampras grew up.

Pretty sure one of the news anchors stated it was a Genesis suv.

As for what it was supposed to do, it sure looked like it. The front was smashed badly, and it looks like the engine did was it was supposed to, which is get pushed under the cabin rather than pushed into it. The cabin looked pretty much intact, which seems pretty impressive after rolling over supposedly several times. Airbags did their job it looks like.

Broken legs and shattered ankle isn't surprising. I actually think the car got airborne and flipped end over end. I didn't see a ton of damage to the doors and roof, so I don't think it was a classic barrel roll. Until they do a full investigation we won't really know.

I'm 100% sure he was speeding. The question is, how fast? My complete in the dark guess is 70 mph. Too fast on a downhill sloping curve in what appears to be a 40-45 mph zone. I don't know the road/area, so the speeds could be higher.

I read an article late last night. An officer made a comment he's written many tickets for driving 70-80 mph in this area. This
grade is steep enough that requires semi drivers to use low gear.

I’d say their marketing campaign is already off to a pretty good start lol

”The $50k SUV that saved Tiger Woods’ Life”

FB844271-4409-4C34-B817-D52A02291C9A.jpeg

Hyundai's bias aside, this is exactly what I was wondering. Of course, would like to see something from an unbiased perspective.

Hyundai's bias aside, this is exactly what I was wondering. Of course, would like to see something from an unbiased perspective.

Interestingly, that isnt an ad, just a story on the Daily Mail.. so it sounds like Hyundai didnt have any say or influence in that headline .. FWIW I’m not a fan of Hyundais, and have never considered purchasing one, although I’ve heard their quality has gone up substantially over the last 10 yrs or so.

Going by this statement released by his foundation, it looks like he also developed compartment syndrome secondary to the fractures/crush injury requiring a fasciotomy to relieve the pressure in his leg. He's lucky that the procedure was performed quickly as that could have gone south real quick and cost him that leg.

153382354_10158891031861006_6357368589706792445_o.jpg

Interestingly, that isnt an ad, just a story on the Daily Mail.. so it sounds like Hyundai didnt have any say or influence in that headline .. FWIW I’m not a fan of Hyundais, and have never considered purchasing one, although I’ve heard their quality has gone up substantially over the last 10 yrs or so.

Hyundais are actually excellent cars now. My daughter purchased a 2019 Elantra several months ago I've been very impressed with it. The Korean brands have been improving the quality of their cars for years.

I really like the look of the new Palisade. I'm not in a position to buy right now, but if I could, that would probably be my first choice for a new family vehicle.

Going by this statement released by his foundation, it looks like he also developed compartment syndrome secondary to the fractures/crush injury requiring a fasciotomy to relieve the pressure in his leg. He's lucky that the procedure was performed quickly as that could have gone south real quick and cost him that leg.

153382354_10158891031861006_6357368589706792445_o.jpg
Comminuted open means shattered compound (bones penetrating the skin) and the vascular surgery to relieve the pressure means they were trying to save his leg by restoring blood flow below the affected area. He also had an ankle fracture. I suppose Tiger needs to contact Alex Smith for some rehab tips.

Sounds like surgery was successful , now let's hope he doesn't get a staph infection.

Last edited:
Relieving the pressure could also be that he had developed some compartment syndrome and fasciotomies (surgical release of the covering of the muscles) were required. Either way, I don't see him playing tournament level golf again. His range of motion will be nominal in the ankle, subtalar joints and midfoot.

Comminuted open means shattered compound (bones penetrating the skin) and the vascular surgery to relieve the pressure means they were trying to save his leg by restoring blood flow below the affected area. He also had an ankle fracture. I suppose Tiger needs to contact Alex Smith for some rehab tips.

Sounds like surgery was successful , now let's hope he doesn't get a staph infection.
I was referring to the last sentence in Dr. Mahajan's statement above, here he actually mentions compartment syndrome in this article as well...

“But probably the biggest thing is when they talk about having to release that pressure down in the muscle down in that lower leg,” Dr. Torres said. “There’s a condition called compartment syndrome and when that leg part gets swollen enough, that swelling creates pressure that can cut down on circulation, it can cause nerve damage. If that pressure doesn’t get released quickly – and by quickly, I mean within an hour or so – it can cause permanent damage, it can even lead to amputation.”

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom