TIL: Today I Learned... (1 Viewer)

Galbreath34

Very Banned
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sticky Post
Sometimes you just learn something strange you'd like to share but there is no good place.

TIL: The subreddit /r/marijuanaenthusiasts is actually about trees, dendrology and getting trees identified from pictures. It has this name becase /r/trees was already taken by marijuana enthusiasts who didn't want to give up the name.

itztime

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Today I learned, church services are going online via Zoom. I still not sure why people have left Skype, seemed to work fine.
Microsoft decided to sunset Skype starting January 2021 and replace with Microsoft Teams, which IMO, leaves a lot to be desired for.....it sucks.

Saint_Ward

Don't be a Jerk.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
TIL ok... yesterday... that ytterbium is an element. Yb. I thought a coworker made a typo for another element.

Waymer

Waymer
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
TIL (well, during the VP sweepstakes) that Delaware is the only state with no commercial flights. (Frontier has had service in the past, and is/was to resume in 2020).

zeetes

yo’ robbie fordz fo lyfe
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Microsoft decided to sunset Skype starting January 2021 and replace with Microsoft Teams, which IMO, leaves a lot to be desired for.....it sucks.
yeah they started informing customers last year or 2018. i've consulted on a few migrations. basically skype, notes, and zoom all in one, but a birch to navigate. not a fan.

Reaction score
TIL, there's 380 species of parasite isopods that swim in thru gills and feed off fish tongue until it atrophies at which time the isopod becomes the tongue.

saintmdterps

If we give ya the boogie, can ya handle it?
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Teams is awful, and so is Outlook. Both are clunky, slow, and thoroughly unintuitive just like my employer who uses both :hihi:

Taurus

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The more I use Teams, the more I like it. Honestly, IMO, its better than Skype, for what we use it or anyway.
I feel the same. It's like if Lotus Sametime grew up and included Sharepoint storage.

itztime

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
The more I use Teams, the more I like it. Honestly, IMO, its better than Skype, for what we use it or anyway.
I figured the more you would use it, the more it would grow. The thing I hate the most is that we live off of the messaging at my organization and those messages live with you w/Teams, for some odd reason Microsoft decided you cannot delete, rather you can archive, though when I archive they reappear weeks later. My organization uses Skype/Teams for in-house screen sharing and Citrix WebEx for client conference calls or screen sharing. I was told we are moving away from Teams at the start of the new year and will be going with something else, I have no idea what that could be because we were warned if a client is using Zoom, that Zoom is not HIPAA compliant, so I am sure it will be something I don't like :).

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
We are still using Skype, but the sharing desktop feature is terrible. We can stay connected for more than a fewseconds before it loses connection. Really hurts me because my coworker wants to train me how to create a new entry and the best way to do that is to show me through the sharing of screens.

This is why I hate teleworking. If I'm encountering a problem or issue, I can't just walk to my coworker's station to trade feedback, and doing it through Skype hasn't worked very well for the most part.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom