TIL: Today I Learned... (3 Viewers)

I could have used this several times (a) a few years back, I couldn't stop a skunk from using our back porch as natures path, every friggin night. So I shot him, right outside my office which is another room connected to our bedroom with a backdoor to the back porch. I shot him in the head as recommended but that didnt stop the ungodly 30 foot spray he unleashed in my yard for a good solid 2 minutes. (b) the dog loves skunks, her last spraying was a couple of months ago.
I was camping/backpacking. It was about 7:40 in the morning, but I’d been up for about an hour (the dogs always want to get up at the crack of daylight).

I was sitting by the fire ring reading and had just put a pot of water on to boil when I heard them start barking. My first thought was, “damn, are there hikers out here already?” I got up to call them back over and then saw a skunk coming down the hill with its tail straight up and fully fanned out and my two dogs in pursuit.

I started yelling bloody murder for them to “COME,” “STAY,” “LEAVE IT,” but they just took turns getting close to it before backing off. When it got to the creek on the other side of the campsite they finally retreated. I don’t think either of them took a direct hit, but it had definitely sprayed and they both had it on them, especially the older one. Really put a damper on what had so far been a lovely morning.

The day commemorates the Haymarket square riot where the police shot a man in a crowd who were protesting for 8 hour work days
Then ‘someone’ threw dynamite and the resulting blast and return gunfire killed 7 police and 4 civilians
It marks Labors‘ major attempt to wrest control from autocratic businesses and their federal supporters and to work under more modern less feudal conditions

TIL this. Thanks for posting.

Side note...

In Forrest Gump, the speech Forrest gives when the mic cuts out at the Vietnam rally is as follows “Sometimes when people go to Vietnam, they go home to their mommas without any legs. Sometimes they don't go home at all. That's a bad thing. That's all I have to say about that."

References to Lt. Dan and Bubba, obviously.

TIL: ^^ That

TIL that this exists. Look at the flavors for Odin's sake. Totally getting some to mess with guests on thankagiving

Turkey-Dinner-Candy-Corn.jpg

TIL that this guy is actually a Sicilian named Espera de Corti and not Indian, and the Keep America Beautiful campaign was propaganda started by corporations to make individual viewers feel guilty and responsible for the polluted environment instead of the corporations that were working to conceal their role in polluting the landscape.

I fell for it - it's one of the most memorable commercials from my childhood.

:mad:

TIL that this guy is actually a Sicilian named Espera de Corti and not Indian, and the Keep America Beautiful campaign was propaganda started by corporations to make individual viewers feel guilty and responsible for the polluted environment instead of the corporations that were working to conceal their role in polluting the landscape.

I fell for it - it's one of the most memorable commercials from my childhood.

:mad:

All true and from Louisiana; he's in my wife's family tree.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    Top Bottom