TIL: Today I Learned... (2 Viewers)

Galbreath34

Very Banned
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sticky Post
Sometimes you just learn something strange you'd like to share but there is no good place.

TIL: The subreddit /r/marijuanaenthusiasts is actually about trees, dendrology and getting trees identified from pictures. It has this name becase /r/trees was already taken by marijuana enthusiasts who didn't want to give up the name.

Zack Lee

VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Today I learned that not all of us read Andrus’s announcements/posts
i think it’s the concept of the sticky. We all condition ourselves to ignore them unless they are an off-season recap thread. It’s just natural because the don’t go away. So the best place to hide something is right at the top where it won’t scroll.

The Nomad

RESIST
Reaction score
TIL- The Greenland shark has the longest known lifespan of all vertebrate species (estimated to be between 300 and 500 years).

As an adaptation to living at depth, it has a high concentration of trimethylamine N-oxide in its tissues, which causes the meat to be toxic. If the meat is eaten without pretreatment, the ingested TMAO is metabolized into trimethylamine, which can produce effects similar to extreme drunkenness. This also increases the shark's buoyancy.

The shark is often colonized by the copepod Ommatokoita elongata, which attaches itself to the shark's eyes. It was speculated that the copepod may display bioluminescence and thus attract prey for the shark in a mutualistic relationship.

Females have an estimated gestation period of 8–18 years.

"When hoisted upon deck, it beats so violently with its tail, that it is dangerous to be near it, and the seamen generally dispatch it, without much loss of time. The pieces that are cut off exhibit a contraction of their muscular fibres for some time after life is extinct. It is, therefore, extremely difficult to kill, and unsafe to trust the hand within its mouth, even when the head is cut off." And, if we are to believe Crantz, this motion is to be observed three days after, if the part is trod on or struck.

— Henry William Dewhurst, The Natural History of the Order Cetacea (1834)

Here endeth the lesson.

Last edited:

parlorcitysaint

WhoDat in exile.
Reaction score
TIL about John Elroy Sanford and his older brother Fred.

John was a comedian in the 50s and 60s, who adopted the stage name Redd Foxx.

You can figure out the rest.
TIL Redd Foxx was actually Fred Sanford Jr's younger brother.

Last edited:

Madmarsha

I default to sarcasm
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
i think it’s the concept of the sticky. We all condition ourselves to ignore them unless they are an off-season recap thread. It’s just natural because the don’t go away. So the best place to hide something is right at the top where it won’t scroll.
After awhile, you tend not to notice all the Post Its you put up to remind yourself of things.

Super44

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
TIL; LSU is in a mode of oh chit. How we getting out of this mess of all the alleged sexual assaults, misconduct and how things were handled by LSU administration, coaches...etc.?

Reaction score
In 2019, Le Creuset launched a Star Wars collection. One of which was a round dutch oven hand painted and limited to 9 total with 4 in the US.

Screenshot 2021-04-08 104415.png

Madmarsha

I default to sarcasm
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
In 2019, Le Creuset launched a Star Wars collection. One of which was a round dutch oven hand painted and limited to 9 total with 4 in the US.

Screenshot 2021-04-08 104415.png

No one needs this and just who is gonna think this is a great gift?

Madmarsha

I default to sarcasm
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I was taught the perfect gift is something a person would appreciate, but never buy for themselves. You know something which isn't needed...
It is but even if I was gonna spend $900 on a gift, I dunno anyone who'd want it.

I do know someone who'd appreciate a $900 Lego dealie, though.

Reaction score
It is but even if I was gonna spend $900 on a gift, I dunno anyone who'd want it.

I do know someone who'd appreciate a $900 Lego dealie, though.
I dunno anyone who actually wants flowers for a gift, but I'm sure there are some who do.

FWIW, if you can get your hands on one of those I'll gladly accept it as a gift. :)

Dago

Veteran
Reaction score
Today i learned that Delta 8 is not only a legal, safe alternative for illegal marijuana (for those living in a state that hasn't legalized for rec use), it's also legitimate. Got mine in today.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom